how much is my bike worth?

Old May 24th 04, 12:52 AM
DaVe O sAuRuS

Default how much is my bike worth?

I've got a bicycle that I'm thinking of selling. I have no idea what it
would be worth in todays market. It was built up in spring 1990 and
still in showroom condition.

frame and fork: 23" Schwinn Prologue / red and white fade / constructed
of Tange Prestige tubing / I believe this frameset was manufactured in
Japan by Panasonic for Schwinn.

front derailleur, rear derailleur and shifters: Campagnolo Super Record
with downtube Campy friction shifters

brakes: Campy Nuovo Record with black Dia Compe aero levers

headset: Tange alloy (dont know what model ... came with the frame)

stem: Modolo black aero

bar: Modolo Super Titanium

cranks: Campagnolo Super Record 42/53 170mm

bottom bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record 68mm english

chain: Suntour narrow

pedals: Campagnolo Super Record (titanium spindels) and clips/straps

seatpost: Campagnolo Super Record fluted two bolt

saddle: Brooks Team Professional leather

hubs: Shimano Dura Ace (old style Campy knock off)

spokes: 14ga DT

rims: Mavic 700c clincher (I'm not sure what model. They're anodized
silver and have a label that's yellow on one end with "Mavic" printed in
black letters. The other end is green with a yellow "___M".

freewheel: Shimano 600 6sp 13-24

tires: Conti Gatorskin 700X23

Again, this bike, despite it's age, is in showroom condition. The only
scars are some small scratches on the 53t chainring and a few very tiny
nicks in the paint which have been carefully touched up. In the looks
department it's better than 95% of the bikes on the road.

Old May 24th 04, 03:19 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
DaVe O sAuRuS wrote:
I've got a bicycle that I'm thinking of selling. I have no idea what it
would be worth in todays market. It was built up in spring 1990 and
still in showroom condition.

frame and fork: 23" Schwinn Prologue / red and white fade / constructed
of Tange Prestige tubing / I believe this frameset was manufactured in
Japan by Panasonic for Schwinn.

front derailleur, rear derailleur and shifters: Campagnolo Super Record
with downtube Campy friction shifters

The frame is nice (to ride) but adds almost nothing to the resale
value of the parts. Sometimes you can get more money on eBay when
you part out a bike like that, since the frame does not have much
collector appeal.

Maybe $50 for the frame and $400 for the parts? Just a guess -
what you get for the parts will depend on whether you sell each
piece separately. Price you can command on eBay will exceed what
is customary on this newsgroup. I sold a complete 1970s Nuovo
Record bike for about $400 on eBay last year.

--Paul
Old May 24th 04, 05:24 AM
DaVe O sAuRuS

That's what I was thinking .... I'd make more money by parting out the
bike. I'd really hate to do that, though. If I do decide to go ahead and
sell it I'd much rather see it go to someone who intends to ride it.
It's a great bike for centuries.