RANT: "colorado connection"

Old August 19th 04, 06:59 PM
CowPunk

Default RANT: "colorado connection"

Colorado Springs Gazette today
http://www.gazette.com/

"Out of Armstrong's shadow

ATHENS, Greece - Tyler Hamilton now has a title his country will know.
Hamilton, the former University of Colorado skier, led a parade of
three Colorado cyclists to the Olympic medal stand Wednesday,
capturing the gold medal in the 29.8-mile time trial. "

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.
Old August 19th 04, 08:19 PM
Marty

"CowPunk" wrote in message
m...
Colorado Springs Gazette today
http://www.gazette.com/

"Out of Armstrong's shadow

ATHENS, Greece - Tyler Hamilton now has a title his country will know.
Hamilton, the former University of Colorado skier, led a parade of
three Colorado cyclists to the Olympic medal stand Wednesday,
capturing the gold medal in the 29.8-mile time trial. "

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.

I think Barry is from WI. Yes?
--
Marty

Old August 19th 04, 08:22 PM
Marty

"Marty" wrote in message
"CowPunk" wrote in message
m...
Colorado Springs Gazette today
http://www.gazette.com/

"Out of Armstrong's shadow

ATHENS, Greece - Tyler Hamilton now has a title his country will know.
Hamilton, the former University of Colorado skier, led a parade of
three Colorado cyclists to the Olympic medal stand Wednesday,
capturing the gold medal in the 29.8-mile time trial. "

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.

I think Barry is from WI. Yes?

Thought so:
http://www.dedebarry.com/index.cfm?f...raphy.Overview

Old August 19th 04, 09:57 PM
BW

I could care less where Tyler comes from but doesn't the fact that he
owns a home here in Boulder establish sufficient "Colorado connection"
for you?

Old August 19th 04, 10:43 PM
Scott Hendricks

(CowPunk) wrote in message om...
Colorado Springs Gazette today
http://www.gazette.com/

"Out of Armstrong's shadow

ATHENS, Greece - Tyler Hamilton now has a title his country will know.
Hamilton, the former University of Colorado skier, led a parade of
three Colorado cyclists to the Olympic medal stand Wednesday,
capturing the gold medal in the 29.8-mile time trial. "

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.

That's not such a stretch. Tyler did go to school at CU, and if I
recall, he owns a home in the Boulder area.

Old August 19th 04, 10:48 PM
Sam

DeDe has lived in Boulder for a while and attended Colorado College. Give
you 3 guesses on what state Colorado College is in.
"Marty" wrote in message
m...

Old August 19th 04, 11:12 PM
Bob Schwartz

Sam wrote:
DeDe has lived in Boulder for a while and attended Colorado College. Give
you 3 guesses on what state Colorado College is in.

Is Andy Hampsten from North Dakota or Tuscany?

I keep getting them mixed up.

Bob Schwartz

Old August 19th 04, 11:17 PM
MMan37x

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.

The Altoona Mirror headline noted that he was a former Tour de Toona rider
(once, over ten years ago).

Gotta hit that local angle.

M Man
Old August 19th 04, 11:38 PM
Patrick O'Grady

In article ,
(CowPunk) wrote:

Colorado Springs Gazette today
http://www.gazette.com/

"Out of Armstrong's shadow

ATHENS, Greece - Tyler Hamilton now has a title his country will know.
Hamilton, the former University of Colorado skier, led a parade of
three Colorado cyclists to the Olympic medal stand Wednesday,
capturing the gold medal in the 29.8-mile time trial. "

It never ceases to amaze me, to what extent the local
press will go to, in order to establish the "colorado
connection" with any athlete who wins a medal, or
for that fact, any news story in general.

You missed the cutline under the photo of Tyler on the front page of the
print edition:

"TYLER HAMILTON: Ex-teammate of six-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong."

Poor sod ... wins Olympic gold and he's still a bridesmaid as far as the
straight media are concerned. He could win the Tour seven times and U.S.
sports desks would still hang that former-Armstrong-teammate tag on him.

Patrick O'Grady
Mad Dog Media
http://www.maddogmedia.com

Former assistant sports editor (and former Gazette reporter and copy
editor, 1977-80)