A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 22nd 19, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:15:13 -0400,
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:04:23 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with
having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.


I should have said "organized ride" rather than "group ride".
Only two people overtook me, and the first one complained of
having slept late. I got to the start point just before
registration closed.

I met a rather astounding number of people. Anyone coming the
other way was not on the Tour des Lakes, so I don't know what
occasioned all the traffic.


Huh, looks like a nice ride. My wife and I spent a weekend riding
around the Warsaw area last summer with a group of tandems. Very
scenic--and not as flat as one might think, given all the lakes.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Ads
  #22  
Old July 29th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,354
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:04:23 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

We will be hoping for a full report at rec.bicycles.rides or here.
Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.



I have started a report at rec.bicycles.rides, but it's taking a lot
more words than I expected, and putting the paragraphs into logical
order is turning out to be complex.

Perhaps I'll finish the report before next year's ride.

At first I had no intention of repeating -- following arrows on the
pavement around a no-destination loop is just not my bag -- but after
coming down with heat exhaustion, I want to try again without the
stupid mistakes.

(Confessing to those is also slowing up the report writing.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

  #23  
Old July 29th 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 763
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 14:16:48 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:04:23 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

We will be hoping for a full report at rec.bicycles.rides or here.
Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.



I have started a report at rec.bicycles.rides, but it's taking a lot
more words than I expected, and putting the paragraphs into logical
order is turning out to be complex.

Perhaps I'll finish the report before next year's ride.

At first I had no intention of repeating -- following arrows on the
pavement around a no-destination loop is just not my bag -- but after
coming down with heat exhaustion, I want to try again without the
stupid mistakes.

(Confessing to those is also slowing up the report writing.)


I'm, perhaps, being petty but you didn't "come down" with heat
exhaustion in the sense that you came down with the flu, or came down
with whooping ca ugh. You developed heat exhaustion due to your own
acts, usually expending too much energy with insufficient intake of
water, and quite often salt. Or to put it another way, it wasn't done
to you, you did it to yourself :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

  #24  
Old July 29th 19, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 621
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 1:20:31 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12:19:39 PM UTC-7, pH wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 9:35:38 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:04:25 PM UTC-7, pH wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 7:39:13 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:47:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

At Edwards, coming back from lunch, say 13:00, walking in from the
parking lot to the shop - maybe a hundred yards, you didn't appear to
sweat not at all. Of course you did sweat but it evaporated so quickly
that even your arm pits didn't seem to be wet :-)

Last millenium, I went on many a ride where my first clue that I'd
been sweating was finding my face gritty with salt.

And other times .. . on one ride, my sweat shorted out my wrist watch.

I remember climbing a hill and being both cold and sweaty. I think
the humidity was condensing on me.

Supposed to be 95 F tomorrow. I'm taking two bottles of tea,
starch-sugar-and-vinegar water to add to water picked up along the
way, and five sandwich bags of ice.

This will be my first group ride in twenty years.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Huzzah!
We will be hoping for a full report at rec.bicycles.rides or here.
Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.

pH in Aptos, CA

We used to do a club ride down to Aptos but the price of the motel down there got so damned high that no one wanted to pay the price. Too bad. It was a nice ride from San Leandro.


That's a 'fur piece 'o' distance. I'm curious what route you used to get here...over to the coast and down, or some kind of threading through the santa cruz mountins?

Personal question: You mentioned recovering from a coma/concussion. Did you by chance write about the experience? I would be interested in reading what it was like if you don't mind if there's a webblog. Weird dreams? How did awareness come back, things like that. (this is tangentially bike-related since I'm guessing it was a bike accident)
pH in Aptos


The most direct route -- not the most scenic -- for TK is the way I used to go to Aptos from SJ: ride straight south to Los Gatos, go up around Lexington reservoir, hit old Santa Cruz HWY, Summit and then down SJ Soquel road into Aptos. I had friends over there and use to ride that route a lot. I really miss the smell of the SC mountains. Great riding. TK could also cut over on any of the more northerly routes like LaHonda or Tunitas Creek, both of which are great low volume routes -- or they used to be. Then down HWY 1 which has a pretty good shoulder.

Coming back, I usually took HWY 17 instead of the road around the Lexington, but you have to have be lucky getting a gap to cross two lanes of highway traffic for the Los Gatos exit, which is on the opposite side of the road.

One day, I was struggling and equivocal about jumping in front of 70mph traffic, and lo and behold, a CHP appeared, flipped on his lights and flagged me across with a little salute. It was very nice. I was riding with a friend who was a national class sprinter and just kicked across a head of me, which was a sight to behold. I was spun-out on the descent and couldn't get close to engaging the gear.

-- Jay Beattie.


That's the way I go as well. Trouble is that with my poor memory I can never remember the dozen turns to get back out onto Foothill (??) that eventually goes along the backside of Stanford. From there I end up crossing the bridge and riding another 20 miles from there. It is 100 miles one way. And the Aptos motels for most of the year are now $200 a night.
  #25  
Old July 29th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 621
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 11:16:52 AM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:04:23 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

We will be hoping for a full report at rec.bicycles.rides or here.
Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.



I have started a report at rec.bicycles.rides, but it's taking a lot
more words than I expected, and putting the paragraphs into logical
order is turning out to be complex.

Perhaps I'll finish the report before next year's ride.

At first I had no intention of repeating -- following arrows on the
pavement around a no-destination loop is just not my bag -- but after
coming down with heat exhaustion, I want to try again without the
stupid mistakes.

(Confessing to those is also slowing up the report writing.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/


Maybe you have some suggestions on how I can handle this. My younger brother doesn't have a group to ride with and he just retired. He is pretty fast. So he has a batter time at the gym than riding alone. When I ride with him it bores him to tears because I'm now so slow.

Coming back from a ride the other day he entered the area where his condo is and with his attention elsewhere he hit a speed bump and went down. Slow speed but a lot of road rash.

So now he has decided to stop riding because I don't think he has ever fallen down before. Actually in his entire life (he's a half brother) I don't think he has ever been injured.

I can't relate to that having spend half of my childhood covered in scabs or childhood diseases. He's young enough that they had vaccinations for all of that. After I started riding I spent as much time flying through the air swearing as on the bike. At least for the first 4 or 5 years. Since I recovered from my concussion I have had ten pretty good crashes including being hit by a car.

So when I tried to make light of his crash he got angry etc. Would you have any idea of how to approach this?
  #26  
Old July 30th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,354
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:52:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm, perhaps, being petty but you didn't "come down" with heat
exhaustion in the sense that you came down with the flu, or came down
with whooping ca ugh. You developed heat exhaustion due to your own
acts, usually expending too much energy with insufficient intake of
water, and quite often salt. Or to put it another way, it wasn't done
to you, you did it to yourself :-(


I definitely came down; fortunately, I flopped down under an oak tree
that provided me with a magnificent view of huge branches while I was
waiting for my ride.

I was pretty much recovered when he got there. He said later that
when I called I sounded so rocky that he seriously considered siccing
911 on me. Which might be why he called back when he'd got his GPS
loaded with my co-ordinates: to make sure I could answer.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

  #27  
Old July 30th 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 763
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 23:22:07 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:52:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm, perhaps, being petty but you didn't "come down" with heat
exhaustion in the sense that you came down with the flu, or came down
with whooping ca ugh. You developed heat exhaustion due to your own
acts, usually expending too much energy with insufficient intake of
water, and quite often salt. Or to put it another way, it wasn't done
to you, you did it to yourself :-(


I definitely came down; fortunately, I flopped down under an oak tree
that provided me with a magnificent view of huge branches while I was
waiting for my ride.

I was pretty much recovered when he got there. He said later that
when I called I sounded so rocky that he seriously considered siccing
911 on me. Which might be why he called back when he'd got his GPS
loaded with my co-ordinates: to make sure I could answer.


Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.
--
cheers,

John B.

  #28  
Old July 30th 19, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,354
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:45:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.


One thing I did do right was to call for help.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
  #29  
Old July 30th 19, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 763
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:08:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:45:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.


One thing I did do right was to call for help.


Certainly.
The military, not wanting their troops to be dropping dead all over
the campus gave us special training about working in high temperature
and very low humidity areas, and one of the things that they
emphasized was "if you feel bad holler for help" as you can go from
feeling bad to unconscious in a very short time, under certain
conditions.
--
cheers,

John B.

  #30  
Old July 30th 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,283
Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 3:49:01 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:08:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:45:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.


One thing I did do right was to call for help.


Certainly.
The military, not wanting their troops to be dropping dead all over
the campus gave us special training about working in high temperature
and very low humidity areas, and one of the things that they
emphasized was "if you feel bad holler for help" as you can go from
feeling bad to unconscious in a very short time, under certain
conditions.


These heat problems aren't unusual. A seven year old boy I know was recently
on a day care field trip on a hot day. Standing outside in the sun with his
classmates, he suddenly folded up and fainted. They got him out of the sun and
cooled him off with water and ice, and he was perfect within five minutes.

Also, years ago our local high school band was marching and playing for a
local parade on a hot day, wearing full uniforms. As the stood at attention,
first one kid, then about five more in quick succession crumpled to the ground.

It makes me wonder how Americans in the 1800s dealt with the heat and humidity
around here. The fashion was to wear layers and layers of clothing.

- Frank Krygowski

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blowout from heat? Wes Groleau Techniques 89 July 15th 12 06:06 PM
It must be the heat Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 8 July 16th 11 03:50 PM
The Heat is On GoneBeforeMyTime Racing 0 June 19th 10 10:50 PM
Texas heat Cleanbean Mountain Biking 10 March 7th 06 05:51 PM
"It's a dry heat..." [email protected] Mountain Biking 2 June 28th 05 05:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.