Clyde Tunnel

Old January 29th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Clyde Tunnel

Hi Folks

Has anyone here much experience of the Clyde Tunnel Cycle route in
Glasgow? I was through it once in convoy and my main impression was of
"killing ground". I don't think I've ever cycled in a more forbidding
place.

I am thinking of new cycle routes and going through the tunnel would
give me a nice circuit.

Where my initial impressions erroneous? Is it in fact a lovely route to
cycle? If anyone can lay my unease to rest I would be grateful.

Thanks

Bob
--
Bob Downie
Downie GeoScience Ltd.
Old January 29th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bob
I used it last year. It was graffitti covered and smeeled of
sewage. I would be reluctant to use it in late evenings esp weekends.
For circular routes I prefer using the ferry from Yoker to Renfrew
.. From the Renfrew side into Glasgow options with fairly light traffic
are either left at Renfrew town centre and past the Braehead shopping
centre, or straight down into Paisley town centre and then back to
Glasgow along Paisley Road. The M8 takes all the through traffic
leaving light traffic from Paisley to about Cardonald. Normally the
Bells bridge is the option I would use to get back to the north of the
Clyde.
Iain

Old January 29th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bob Downie typed

Hi Folks

Has anyone here much experience of the Clyde Tunnel Cycle route in
Glasgow? I was through it once in convoy and my main impression was of
"killing ground". I don't think I've ever cycled in a more forbidding
place.

I am thinking of new cycle routes and going through the tunnel would
give me a nice circuit.

Where my initial impressions erroneous? Is it in fact a lovely route to
cycle? If anyone can lay my unease to rest I would be grateful.

Thanks

I lived in Glasgow from 1989-91 and used the Clyde Tunnel a few times
then. I was scared 5h1Tless every time I used it, but never had any
trouble.

People told me I shouldn't use it and regaled me of tales of 'chain
gangs' who lay in wait, ready to attack cyclists in the depths.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 29th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Hi,

At the risk of tempting fate, I've used the cycle tunnels (like the car
'tunnel', there are actually two, one going in each direction) at least
once a month for the past five years, much more so in summer. I've
only once had a problem, when some passing wag had placed bricks just
after the bottom of the southbound tunnel, requiring a high speed
swerve which could very easily have been a high speed crash. And
there's always a bit of a puddle at the very lowest point.

I'd avoid it between around 8 and midnight, when the chances are that
there will be ned kids with bottles of buckfast and oh so funny 'chat'
lurking around the entrances, but apart from that, no problem - I've
cycled through many times with my kids on the back, and I wouldn't
expose them to any unnecessary risk. Might be a bit of a stiff climb on
a fixie, though, if that's what you're planning; a fast run down the
down side is great, but the climb back up is a bit of a grind (albeit
comparatively short). Grafitti gives you something to read on the way,
though - even if it's not as good as it was before the respray around
2002.

Cheers,

DG

Old January 30th 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message .com, heed
writes
Might be a bit of a stiff climb on
a fixie, though, if that's what you're planning; a fast run down the
down side is great, but the climb back up is a bit of a grind (albeit
comparatively short).

Here, how did you know I have a fixie? I don't remember mentioning it to
anyone :-).

On the other hand, thanks for your impression on the tunnel. I also
appreciate the replies from Ian and Helen but as a frequent user, I
think your impressions are possibly more indicative of what its actually
like to use, rather than what it feels like to use.

On the other-other hand, the Renfrew Ferry is a really nice route, one
I've used a few times in the past. Does anyone know, have they completed
the cycle path from the ferry to Paisley centre yet?

Cheers

Bob
Old January 30th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

You started the 'Finally fixed' thread a couple of weeks back, did you
not? Nice bike.

Seriously, I would recommend the tunnel, it's an experience, and you
always come out of it with a sense of achievement. And relief. As
Seneca says, he who fears death will never do anything worthy of a
living man, or something like that. Take the usual precautions, and
bear in mind the oft-used Mark Twain quote. You'll be fine.

Can't help you on the Paisley run front, I'm afraid. Braehead's as far
as I usually go on two wheels in that direction. One for this summer,
maybe.

Cheers,

DG

Old January 30th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Bob Downie" wrote:

Hi Folks

Has anyone here much experience of the Clyde Tunnel Cycle route in
Glasgow? I was through it once in convoy and my main impression was of
"killing ground". I don't think I've ever cycled in a more forbidding
place.

I am thinking of new cycle routes and going through the tunnel would
give me a nice circuit.

Where my initial impressions erroneous? Is it in fact a lovely route
to cycle? If anyone can lay my unease to rest I would be grateful.

I note from a diagram that it appears to have a separate cycle path *under* the
main carriageway. Is this a "mandatory" cycle path or can cyclists legally use
the normal road bit of the tunnel?

Old January 30th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message .com, heed
writes
You started the 'Finally fixed' thread a couple of weeks back, did you
not?

I was just kidding.

Nice bike.

Ta very much.

Snipped bits
You'll be fine.

Given the nature of some of the things I have to do as work, why I
should worry about the Tunnel is a mystery. As you say, I'll be fine. If
not, I'll let you all know.

Cheers

Bob
Old January 30th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Adrian Boliston" typed

"Bob Downie" wrote:

Hi Folks

Has anyone here much experience of the Clyde Tunnel Cycle route in
Glasgow? I was through it once in convoy and my main impression was of
"killing ground". I don't think I've ever cycled in a more forbidding
place.

I am thinking of new cycle routes and going through the tunnel would
give me a nice circuit.

Where my initial impressions erroneous? Is it in fact a lovely route
to cycle? If anyone can lay my unease to rest I would be grateful.

I note from a diagram that it appears to have a separate cycle path
*under* the
main carriageway. Is this a "mandatory" cycle path or can cyclists
legally use
the normal road bit of the tunnel?

Cyclists are barred from the main tunnel IIRC.

The bike path is separate from the footpath.

CCTV monitors the main carriageway but did not monitor the bike path
when I lived in Glasgow.

How would you suggest attending a course at the Southern General
Hospital whilst resident at Gatnavel??

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

That's not a tunnel...now this is a tunnel! cfsmtb Australia 3 November 14th 05 08:23 PM
That's not a tunnel...now this is a tunnel! vaudegiant Australia 3 November 14th 05 08:19 AM
Bielsa Tunnel? Rick Warner Rides 1 February 28th 05 06:59 PM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM