Tube cement, which brand is best?

Old December 3rd 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 07:43:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hey Jeff, medical issues FIRST.

Yep. My current problems are two kidney stones. Tried to use laser
lithotripsy to remove one. That didn't work. So, we try again on Dec
11. Meanwhile, no new projects. If everything goes well, I should be
back in service in about 2 weeks. We're going to leave the 2nd stone
alone, which I suspect might not be a good idea.

I think I'm over the hump with my flu. I think that it was the flu
that caused my brother to have a heart attack the other evening.
While in the ER, it was packed and the orderly told me that
they were all there for flu. The shots missed again this year.
Wrong variation.

Far too many of my friends had various problems with the flu shots.
Several were hospitalized. I decided the risk was too much and did
not get any flu shots. I don't know the circumstances of your
brothers heart attack but the only possible connection with the flu I
can contrive is that the constant coughing might have dislodged some
plaque (grease) from the lumen (blood vessel wall) which got stuck
somewhere in the heart plumbing. At least that's the usual failure
mode.

My brother will be having a stint put into his heart this
afternoon. He may have to have a bypass but he is adamantly against
full surgery so if that's necessary he won't be long on this world.

I had a triple bypass operation in 2002 and 2 stents installed in
2016. I'm on a nitrate vasodilator (Imdur), blood thinner (Plavix),
and magic miracle elixir (Ranexa). Let's just say I've had a bit of
experience with cardiology. The bypass should last about 15 years.
The stent, about 5 years. For long term, stents are at best a
temporary measure.

Despite your brothers fear of a bypass operation, I can say it was the
best thing that ever happened to me. I was dead tired all the time
before the bypass. Exercise helped, but not much. During one of
those exercise sessions (clearing the culvert under the road for
winter), I experiences some nasty chest pains and profuse sweating. 4
days later, the doctors did the bypass operation. I was lucky and did
not have a heart attack. It took me about 6 months to recover after
which I felt like I had rolled back the clock about 10-20 years.
Highly recommended.

If you brother is unwilling to do the bypass, perhaps a nutritional
solution:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/books/starch-solution/
I don't use this method, but several friends have done very well with
it. Basically, it's a major diet and lifestyle change, which requires
cooking ability, quite a bit of self control, exercise, and possibly
some tech support from the doctor. In other words, a lifestyle change
designed to slow or reverse heart disease.

Questions and details by email as this is rather off topic for this
newsgroup.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old December 3rd 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 12:39:24 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

MSDS for REMA Tip Top cold vulcanizing fluids show that they contains
trichloroethylene:
https://www.myerstiresupply.com/MyersTireSupply/media/myers-tire-supply/MSDS-pdfs/MSDS91100_01_02_Chm_Vulc_Fl.pdf
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/download?pID=220&fID=2598

Note that trichloroethylene (vulcanizing fluid) attacks butyl rubber
(inner tube):
http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-6
The chart is a bit difficult to read, but trichloroethylene and butyl
rubber are a "4" or "4 = Unsatisfactory". As near as I can tell, the
only connection with vulcanization is that it softens and
de-vulcanizes the rubber surface, so that the patch will have some
unconnected molecular bonds available onto which to connect.

Old December 3rd 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick[_2_]

the msds for parks patch kit shows the "glue" as naptha a(about 75%), n-heptane (20 % or so), octane (less than 5%) and 1-heptene (less than 5%).
I did try the experiment using remo patches and old tube and contact cement. rubber cement, and the conventional glue. The contact cement did not work at all, the rubber glue (elmers) worked at about 80-85% of the peel strength test as the regular tube patch glue. I had an old tin of the 16oz tip top cement- the aromatic eventually escaped leaving me with a cement that was too thick to be used, being in california with the voc restrictions at the time left me with no choice but to toss it. I see now the while I still can't get xylene - which might have acted as a decent solvent to thin the tip top but I see now that I can purchase "bestine thinner " which is heptane- so that might work as a thinner to the next 16 oz can of cold vulcanizing fluid I buy.
I have to have a bit larger quantities of the vulcanizing fluid as I regularly cut (splice) down latex tubes for use in 559 and 406 tires.Used to buy 2oz tubes of cement from niagara cycle but they went belly up and haven't found a second source of the same size.
Old December 3rd 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:52:07 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

He's already a vegetarian but since he has bad hips he just sits around the house for the most part. I have the idea that he doesn't care if he dies.