Speed Calculator

Old September 21st 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ag_streak

Default Speed Calculator

I was messin' around in Excel, and came up with the following little
tool that let's you easily calculate your speed and cadence, and allows
you to predict your theoretical top speed on your uni. It's pretty
self-explanatory. Check it out...

22425

I'll follow up this post with another with the file attached in Excel.
To run it, you'll need to use Winzip to get it on your local drive and
Excel to open it.

If any of you Excel wizzes out there spot any errors in the
calculations, please let me know...

I hope someone else finds this interesting!

Paul

|Filename: screenshot.jpg |

ag_streak
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 21st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ag_streak

22426

|Filename: Calculator.zip |

ag_streak
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 21st 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

There is a similar calculator at 'IronJungle'
(http://www.ironjungle.com/) called 'UniCalc'
(http://home.austin.rr.com/ironjungle/sw.html#UniCalc). You can check
your numbers by running the same calculations through UniCalc.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 22nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
newtouni

John:

Thanks for remembering my calculator. I have had several people ask
for the lockcode.

It's free for all to enjoy. All I ask is that you place a pin on my
Frappr map.

Thanks again!

--
newtouni

Download UniCalc
(The Unicycle Calculator) free from
http://www.ironjungle.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 22nd 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

newtouni wrote:
John:

Thanks for remembering my calculator. I have had several people ask
for the lockcode.

It's free for all to enjoy. All I ask is that you place a pin on my
Frappr map.

Thanks again!

You wouldn't happen to have the source for your application, would you?
What language is it programmed in?

Thanks.

--
UniTyler

johnfoss wrote:
Butthole.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 22nd 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

For those of us without Excel, or that would prefer an executable
application, I made a quick version of this utility in C++.

It's very small, just under 50 lines of code and under half a MB, but
it gets the job done. I've zipped it, along with the source, and
attached it below. It's open source and freeware, of course -- feel
free to distribute it.

Also, if newtouni's application doesn't work on your computer like it
doesn't on mine, try this little guy. It doesn't have a GUI, though,
so a side effect may be a mild feeling of oldschoolity.

|Filename: Unicycle Calculator.zip |

UniTyler

johnfoss wrote:
Butthole.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 23rd 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

I worked too hard. I measured the rotation of my 36" and came up with
the same 113" and divided into the # of inches in a mile giving me the
# of rotations per mile. From there i did the same for all the
unicycles I owned to see how far/fast I could go .... ie how much time
I wanted to exercise and how much time I wanted to spend exercising. I
am glad for the calculator I lost lost the paper I did the calculations
on! Ha!

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 23rd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

When calculating cadence and such for a Coker you should note that a
Coker wheel is not exactly 36 inches in diameter. The actual rolling
diameter is closer to 34.8 inches based on the rollout.

Check the 'Coker rollout measurements'
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/coker_rollout.htm) by Klaas. Most
rollouts are in the neighborhood of 2780 mm for the circumference. So
adjust your input values accordingly.

Old September 23rd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Haha, now I appreciate my gps all the more!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 23rd 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Yes, rollout is a factor of the specific tire you have. We have lots of
reported measurements for Coker tires, but the Radial TA tire might be
a different size.

Also, just because your unicycle has a 24" rim, don't assume you're
rolling out a 24" diameter distance with each rotation. The Miyatas we
used to ride came out to about 23.3", and my Wilder with a Gazzalodi
tire is almost 26". Consider tire size before starting your
calculations.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

Bicycle calorie calculator? Duke of Hazard General 2 August 22nd 07 04:14 PM
Distance calculator archierob UK 10 July 11th 07 07:52 AM
Fit Calculator Llatikcuf Techniques 7 July 4th 06 10:03 PM
Wind resistance calculator Peter B UK 1 October 26th 05 06:19 PM
Spoke Length Calculator bicyclette Techniques 16 February 22nd 04 02:21 PM