Steep - Video

Old October 31st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

Default Steep - Video

After seeing the pics on Gopher Knoll (on the "Steep" thread), Terry and
I went back and got a little video. I don't know why but the video
camera totally flattens out what was really some steep stuff. But we
had fun.

The video's he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIENdvXoko

If Gopher Knoll was in a popular Muni area it'd be packed 24-7, it's
that much fun.

JL

--
vivalargo
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

That's cool to see it on the day you did it. Looks like fun!

---Nathan

--
nathan
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
anton005

What? No coker?

I've lost my respect for you Terry.

--
anton005
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sutton629

does the brake help that much on such steep terrain? is it worth putting
on?

--
sutton629

If at first you don't succeed... maybe skydiving isn't your sport
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munifreaker

thats awsome!!

looks really hard tho

and really steep hills kinda scare me... hahaha

maybe thats why im not very good at Muni.....

sick riding though!!

--
munifreaker
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Sweet...rockin' testament to your mad old skilz.

You're right that the video flattens it, but the "skidding" shots help
show the steepness (as did the one of Terry trying and failing to haul
his muni back up the hill).

Wish I could have been there to wimp out on each of those lines.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniTyler

That looks like -so- much fun! I love steeps on the Muni.

--
UniTyler

johnfoss wrote:
Butthole.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Looks like a blast. I was waiting to see a power slide all the way
down!

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 31st 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

sutton629 wrote:
does the brake help that much on such steep terrain? is it worth putting
on?

On this hill, most of the dirt is pretty soft owing to eons of gopher
activity (I think). It's also too steep in many places to just spin
down, at least for me - I can't make my legs go that fast, and wouldn't
want to try because the falls would be way too fast and face first (and
awful). So the way to limit the speed here is to skid a little. The
brake is key in holding a controlled skid. It makes the hill look a
lot more low-angled than it is because we're not spinning all that fast
in many places, rather we're skidding (usually just slightly) with the
brake on.

You can't skid like this on on hard-pack but on this stuff it works
well. It's the Muni version of snow-plowing. You could just tuck
these runs but you'd almost certainly end up taking some pretty
harrowing high speed spills. With the skidding falls you just fall on
your ass and slide down a ways.

JL

--
vivalargo
http://www.usenet.com

Steep vivalargo Unicycling 23 November 1st 07 11:45 AM
Steep - Video surfer1024 Unicycling 0 October 31st 07 03:23 AM
Steep hills dtmeister Australia 15 June 9th 06 04:44 AM
How steep is a hill Jamie Wilson Australia 9 July 21st 05 12:15 AM
How steep can you Muni? vivalargo Unicycling 4 April 26th 05 12:28 AM