Patched tube ok?

Old August 20th 04, 05:32 PM
Peter

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

They are reliable, just not long lived. My experience has been that
they last right around a year and then slowly fail. So you could
use them all summer and then replace them with real patches during
the winter. The main reason I like these is that I don't have to worry
about the tiny tubes of glue that always dry out on me after a short
time. Anyone have any tricks on how to keep the glue from drying out?

Don't know how much difference it makes, but I squeeze the tube
enough so a bit of glue gets on the threads as I put the cap back on.
I almost always run out of patches before I run out of glue so I put
the old half-used tube of glue in the new patch kit and leave the
new tube unopened as a spare.

Old August 20th 04, 07:46 PM

Alex Rodriguez writes:

I have a hard time believing that these patches will be reliable.

They are reliable, just not long lived. My experience has been that
they last right around a year and then slowly fail. So you could
use them all summer and then replace them with real patches during
the winter. The main reason I like these is that I don't have to worry
about the tiny tubes of glue that always dry out on me after a short
time. Anyone have any tricks on how to keep the glue from drying out?

I find that fits the definition of unreliable.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 20th 04, 07:55 PM

Peter Rathman writes:

They are reliable, just not long lived. My experience has been
that they last right around a year and then slowly fail. So you
could use them all summer and then replace them with real patches
during the winter. The main reason I like these is that I don't
have to worry about the tiny tubes of glue that always dry out on
me after a short time. Anyone have any tricks on how to keep the
glue from drying out?

Don't know how much difference it makes, but I squeeze the tube
enough so a bit of glue gets on the threads as I put the cap back
on. I almost always run out of patches before I run out of glue so
I put the old half-used tube of glue in the new patch kit and leave
the new tube unopened as a spare.

The main cause of glue drying up is not from a leaky cap, the cap end
being a closed metal extrusion that must be pierced by using the
inverted cap that contains a spike. After opening, the cap seals
adequately because its plastic makes a good seal with the soft tin of
the tube. The crimp on the "bottom" end of the tube is usually the
culprit because it is often poorly closed so the volatile solvent can
escape to leave a mostly empty tube of somewhat thicker glue.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 21st 04, 03:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

Gerroff an' milk it tha' big jeesie!

Are you vying with G. Daniels for deliberate incomprehensibility?

--
Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon

Old August 21st 04, 06:21 PM
Tad Marko

I'd say so. I always ride with two tubes and three CO2 cartridges.
Usually I have a new tube and a patched tube, and I'm as likely as not
to already be riding a patched tube. When I flat, I usually swap in
the patched tube and take the punctured tube home to patch and put
back in the seat pouch.

If I happen across a stranded rider who is lacking tubes or air (I
come across someone in this predicament a couple of times a year), I
will give away the patched tube and an air. Sure, it costs me money,
but comes-around-goes-around I say. I never ask for reimbursement,
but I'll take it if they insist.

Tad
Old August 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

Gerroff an' milk it tha' big jeesie!

Are you vying with G. Daniels for deliberate incomprehensibility?

Quote from PG Tips television advert iirc.

Trevor

Old August 23rd 04, 07:42 PM
KD

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:12:39 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

They are reliable, just not long lived. My experience has been that
they last right around a year and then slowly fail. So you could
use them all summer and then replace them with real patches during
the winter. The main reason I like these is that I don't have to worry
about the tiny tubes of glue that always dry out on me after a short
time. Anyone have any tricks on how to keep the glue from drying out?

Get more flats; my glue never has enough time to dry out in the tube.

;-)

Saturday, I holed one tube on mile 7 of a century, and my son and I
both crossed the finish line with low tires that were flat a few
minutes later. Riding with a bunch of people - including a 16 yo who
thinks my ProRace's are cyclocross tires - keeps me patching pretty
steadily. At least we had enough tubes for the on the road repairs,
and I fixed flats watching the Olympics on yesterdays rainy Sunday
afternoon.

Ken, in wet-again-Orygun
Old August 23rd 04, 07:45 PM
KD

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:36:14 GMT, Mark Janeba
wrote:

KD wrote:
I'm OVER 40, and although I'm a bit Scotch, I'm even more lazy. I
carry a spare tube and do my patching in my LazEBoy at home while
watching Tyler win Olympic time trials.

Gee, I thought *I* went a long time between patching sessions. Is it
just Tyler, or will any Olympics do?

LOL, must be ANY Olympics, 'cause there I was yesterday doing it
again....

Ken

Exploding tube - General 8 August 21st 04 03:37 PM
When to change the tire Jose Capco Techniques 10 July 1st 04 08:15 PM
ARRRRRGH Luigi de Guzman General 65 April 30th 04 03:35 AM
Passive LWB homebuild drawings PaPa Recumbent Biking 7 November 22nd 03 12:47 AM