How to remove cranks with 15mm bolts

Old August 23rd 04, 03:51 AM
J.V.

Default How to remove cranks with 15mm bolts

I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

Old August 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Mark Janeba

J.V. wrote:
I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

Sounds like your socket has a thicker wall than mine (12-point Sears
Craftsman), it works fine on all my 15mm-bolted Sugino cranks. Sugino
made a socket with a built-in T-bar, or there's the 15mm Park (or
Campagnolo) "peanut-butter wrench":
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemde...466&Catalog=39

I'm guessing you could save a few $ with a trip to Sears for a single
15mm socket. Take your crank dustcap in and make sure the socket has a
smaller diameter.

Regards,
Mark Janeba

Old August 23rd 04, 05:11 AM
A Muzi

J.V. wrote:

I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

Try a different brand of socket. Snap-On sockets and many
other brands fit, cheap ones don't. Or get a crank remover
with 14/15 sockets included. Or a trackie's "peanut butter"
wrench.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old August 23rd 04, 06:29 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

J.V. wrote in message ...
I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

Usually a six point socket will do the trick. If you do buy sockets, make
sure they are smooth inside. Grind the outside down if you cannot get your
hands on a slim wall type. Otherwise a tubular spanner will do the job
(better to carry on the bike). You may refer to it as a pipe spanner (not
for pipes).

Trevor

Old August 23rd 04, 01:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

oftsb- Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega. BRBR

many special tools that are the 'old' standard of 15mm.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 23rd 04, 02:49 PM
Sheldon Brown

Andy Muzi wrote:

Try a different brand of socket. Snap-On sockets and many other brands
fit, cheap ones don't. Or get a crank remover with 14/15 sockets
included. Or a trackie's "peanut butter" wrench.

To be more specific, look for a premium quality 3/8" drive 6 point
socket. I've never found a 1/2" drive socket that will work here.

(Generally, higher quality sockets have thinner walls and better
clearance. Cheap sockets make up for lower quality steel by using more
of it.)

Then again, It might make more sense to borrow a suitable socket to
remove and discard the 15 mm bolts, then buy a pair of newer bolts that
use either 14 mm socket of 8 mm Allen wrenches. The bolts will likely
be cheaper than a suitable 15 mm socket.

Sheldon "Socket To Me" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 23rd 04, 05:23 PM
Peter Storey

A Muzi wrote in message ...
J.V. wrote:

I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

Try a different brand of socket. Snap-On sockets and many
other brands fit, cheap ones don't. Or get a crank remover
with 14/15 sockets included. Or a trackie's "peanut butter"
wrench.

Or get hold of a Dremel tool or other grinder and just sand down the
walls of the socket you have. Worked for me.

Peter Storey
Old August 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:49:34 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Then again, It might make more sense to borrow a suitable socket to
remove and discard the 15 mm bolts, then buy a pair of newer bolts that
use either 14 mm socket of 8 mm Allen wrenches. The bolts will likely
be cheaper than a suitable 15 mm socket.

This has the added advantage of eliminating the need to have two tools
to get crank bolts out. Should the need arise to remove the crank
again later, no added time need be lost looking for the thinwall 15mm
wrench.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 24th 04, 04:20 AM
Jim Adney

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:51:26 -0700 "J.V."
wrote:

I usually have no problem removing cranks. I use my 14mm socket wrench. I
have a bike that appears to have 15mm bolts. My 15mm socket won't fit in
there. Is there a special tool for these (I would guess early 80s) Sugino
cranks found on a Univega.

1/2" drive sockets always have thicker walls than 3/8" drive sockets.
Is your 15mm socket a 1/2" drive?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Need crank help. Sigurd Unicycling 30 July 24th 04 05:42 PM
Haro 140mm cranks for sale (new) zack Unicycling 4 July 8th 04 06:48 AM
When do you change your cranks? joe Unicycling 7 May 10th 04 08:12 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman General 15 November 13th 03 07:32 PM
FS: New Ti bolts, axles, pulleys, and more Kristan Roberge Marketplace 1 November 13th 03 12:43 AM