Cyclling Amid SARS

Old April 3rd 20, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Cyclling Amid SARS

I don't ride as much because I have nowhere to go. Riding in circles
is only marginally better than riding rollers, and my all-time record
on rollers is five minutes.

I may have Dave dump me out in the country about twenty miles from
home. We did that for walking more than once. (But not twenty
miles.) The only one I remember clearly was on a trip to here, to see
his parents, from Albany New York, where we lived at the time. We
drove from the motel to a grocery and I walked back, taking a side
trip to see the shore of Lake Erie. There was a housing development
on the beach; every single house was either on wheels, or very, very
cheap.

Pity we've forgotten that simple way to deal with storms and high
water. I don't think they even build on stilts along the lower
Mississippi, which used to be universal.

I have an appointment on Monday at a place where I've never gone
before, so I rode out today (April 2) to make sure that I could find
it. Since the shortest route there crosses US 30 on Parker, a
notorious intersection, I rode south and east to cross on 325 E,
making a two-mile trip into thirteen.

Along the way, I dropped a bag containing two old bathmats and four
cans of lumps-in-gravy cat food on the walkway in front of the animal
shelter. Two employees were walking dogs; one tried to get me to pet
his dog.

I wish I could buy canned cat food without stiffeners added; Al
greatly prefers gravy and broth.

I must give up using the Heritage Trail as a shortcut to Roy Street.
The parking lot was full, and there are hundred of houses in walking
distance. The Trail isn't wide enough to avoid pedestrians.

I think I can continue using Chinworth Trail; there I can go out into
the lawn when I meet someone. And I can use any driveway to dive onto
Old 30, which is quite usable on the west side of town.

Not to mention that there are few nearby homes, and the only parking
is at the now-closed City-County Athletic Complex. Well, the last
time I used Chinworth Trail I did see two cars in the Chinworth Bridge
parking lot, which is about as many as it can take, and I met two
dog-walking families on the Trail.

When planning this expedition, my first thought was to take a meatloaf
sandwich, since all eating places are closed (Not to mention that
there aren't any until I'm almost home), then I reflected that I
couldn't wash my hands before eating, and there's no comfortable place
to sit, so I added an extra candy bar to my emergency rations.

In the event, I had no lunch at all, save for some nibbles while
preparing supper. So much for the theory that exercise makes you eat
more! I did have honey in my tea, but only a teaspoon or so. I'm
fat, and I had other things to think about.

Having stopped nowhere except Forefront Dermatology, for not much
longer than it took to send a text saying that I'd found it, I got
home in plenty of time to plan supper and prepare a dish that takes an
hour to bake and at least half an hour to assemble.

And I dug some winter onions to go with it, so one could say I did a
little gardening too.

I have to carry more water than I think I'll need, because some of the
places where I used to top off are closed, and I dare not enter those
that are still open.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old April 5th 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

I didn't get a wind sprint on the last leg of Thursday's trip.

The main street of the village wasn't lined with parked cars on both
sides, and there was no traffic for me to keep up with.