New Bike, Reputable LBS, So what is the Problem?

Old August 7th 04, 04:50 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default New Bike, Reputable LBS, So what is the Problem?

In fact, I have 101 niggling little complaints about this shop - nothing
that has truly incensed me to date, but enough to ensure that when I buy a
new bike I won't be buying it from there. So much for being the oldest
and largest...

It's the total package that makes something worthwhile or not. I might have
"101 niggling little complaints" about my wife, but I wouldn't trade her for
the world. Give me 10 seconds to contemplate that before hitting the send
key. OK, I'll stick with that one.

But you've got a serious issue regarding the lack of someone taking your
bike's problem seriously. If the store's a chain (you mentioned two
locations), then I'd see about talking with the store manager... but try to
pick a time when it's likely the store won't be jammed with customers.
Store managers & owners spend a lot of time putting out fires, and it will
be easier to deal with your own situation if he/she isn't having to
multitask (juggle different things) too much. I know when I tend to drop
quite a few things when I'm juggling, er, multitasking.

It's also possible that an owner *is* on site. In our operation, I'm around
99.2% of the time (the other .8% I'm in France for two weeks at the TDF)
we're open, but that isn't typical (and I could probably use a day off now
and then). But the point is, don't assume absentee ownership.

Good luck, and if you have trouble finding a responsible party, let me know
(privately) and I can possibly help you connect the dots.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 7th 04, 04:55 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Buying new bike advice

This thread reminds me of something that people might want to think about
when buying a new bike.

There's nothing at all wrong with asking the salesperson who you see, after
buying the bike, if something isn't quite right mechanically. Maybe even an
introduction to the service manager if you like. Then, if something does
come up, I'll bet you'll be taken a lot more seriously when you say "I was
told when I bought the bike that I should see Mark Benson if there were any
problems. Is he around?"

The manner in which they answer this request might be quite telling!

Ultimately, the most expensive bike you can buy is the one that sits,
unused, in the garage.

Old August 7th 04, 05:17 AM
Mark Jones

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. ..
In a peculiar way I resent that remark. I fail to understand why the
purchase of a $1000 bike ought to entitle a customer to any less effort to
make the bike roadworthy than a $5000 bike.

Even $1000 is too high. Even if the bike was a $250 bike,
they should make sure that it works right. If they wouldn't
do that for me, I wouldn't trust them enough to buy a more
expensive bike from them.

Old August 7th 04, 05:33 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:33:47 GMT, Richard Tack
wrote:

Go to another LBS and pay for a second opinion. Then either
go to the seller and demand for it to be repaired or just
let the second guy do it and the hell with it. At least 1.
you'll know whether its a real problem and 2. get it fixed.

At this point, I don't think the OP should spend any money, at another
shop. I think, as others have suggested, that he speak to the manager
and/or owner. Give them a chance to make it right. If that gets no
satisfaction, then head to another LBS.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 7th 04, 06:03 AM
Mike Schwab

Ask them to slightly tighten up your bottom bracket. Probably just
broke in the bearings slightly. Also inform them you ride your bike to
work every day and will need a loaner biycle for the duration of the
shop visit. Insist on a quality loaner,

Glm wrote:

snip

A couple of days ago, the left crank started to 'jolt' whenever it passed
the eleven o'clock position. Not on every turn, but let's say, six times
out of ten and right across the cassette and chain-rings (i.e., not
specific to any gear).

snip
Old August 7th 04, 06:11 AM
Glm

wrote:

Go to another LBS and pay for a second opinion. Then either
go to the seller and demand for it to be repaired or just
let the second guy do it and the hell with it. At least 1.
you'll know whether its a real problem and 2. get it fixed.

At this point, I don't think the OP should spend any money, at another
shop. I think, as others have suggested, that he speak to the manager
and/or owner. Give them a chance to make it right. If that gets no
satisfaction, then head to another LBS.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Life is, indeed, good.

Re spending more money, I quite agree in principle - the LBS from which I
purchased the bike should fix the problem (whether it be minor or
otherwise).

However, one must weigh against this principle (and I detest being ripped
off or exposed to incompetence or, worse still, indolence or carelessness)
the fact that I want to go out and ride my bike; and that, if I don't ride
my bike, I'm going to crack open another bottle of wine, which will for
sure cost more than getting this problem resolved at a second LBS!
Old August 7th 04, 06:31 AM
Glm

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:17:36 GMT, Mark Jones
wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. ..
In a peculiar way I resent that remark. I fail to understand why the
purchase of a $1000 bike ought to entitle a customer to any less effort
make the bike roadworthy than a $5000 bike.

Even $1000 is too high. Even if the bike was a $250 bike,
they should make sure that it works right. If they wouldn't
do that for me, I wouldn't trust them enough to buy a more
expensive bike from them.

Agree.

When I was a teenager I was passionate about photography. I once went
into a camera shop with a friend, dressed in school uniform, and asked to
see a decent camera; we were about fourteen at the time. The salesman
(sic) turned around and said, "What, thinking of stealing one?"

"Err...no. We need three of them and a whole bunch of lenses for a trip
beginning on Wednesday, actually. But, we'll go elsewhere. Thanks for
your time."

The laws of economics may dictate a certain amount of prioritization
within a business. However, that should be done at the strategy and
marketing stages: if you don't think there's enough profit on a $250 bike,
and cannot treat buyers of such with respect, then don't stock bikes in
that price range.

Once someone walks through the door, the only question on people's minds
should be, "What can I do to ensure that this individual leaves my shop
satisfied?"

If you insult me when I'm spending $250, then what incentive do I have to
invest $5,000 with you (and a bike purchase *is* an investment, given the
level of after-sales support that is, in some way or another, required)?
A customer is a customer: to see shades of grey is unhelpful for everyone.
Old August 7th 04, 06:54 AM
Badger_South

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:51:00 GMT, Glm wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:15:43 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

[snip]

-B

Thanks to each of you for your responses. Glad to hear from someone that
I am not being a pain in the gluteus maximus!

You're right: I've tried pretty hard to be considerate and understanding,
but, really, jolting cranks I can do without. And, although it may make
me seem like a moron, I regrettably don't have the expertise or the tools
to open up bottom brackets myself; that said, I am sure it doesn't take a
week to do so!

A discreet word with the manager (there are two of these stores in
Manhattan, so I fear that the owner may well be elusive!) is probably
appropriate at this point. Shall see how I get on.

In fact, I have 101 niggling little complaints about this shop - nothing
that has truly incensed me to date, but enough to ensure that when I buy a
new bike I won't be buying it from there. So much for being the oldest
and largest...

Again, thanks to you all.

Just call up and request the owner. Then repeat the last para to him after
you tell him you dropped over 3K bucks in his store and that you're not
happy.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. If you don't get quick
satisfaction post the name of the bad LBS, perhaps.

-B

Old August 7th 04, 07:17 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

In a peculiar way I resent that remark. I fail to understand why the
purchase of a $1000 bike ought to entitle a customer to any less effort

make the bike roadworthy than a $5000 bike.

Even $1000 is too high. Even if the bike was a $250 bike,
they should make sure that it works right. If they wouldn't
do that for me, I wouldn't trust them enough to buy a more
expensive bike from them.

Definitely. I was trying to be as relevant to the original poster as
possible, but recognized that my example might still sound a bit elitist.
To be sure, there is a lot more done regarding sizing of a road bike than
there is for a basic mountain bike or hybrid, but there's never an excuse
for ignoring basic mechanical issues, regardless of price.

Old August 7th 04, 01:30 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:50:49 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

It's the total package that makes something worthwhile or not. I might have
"101 niggling little complaints" about my wife, but I wouldn't trade her for
the world. Give me 10 seconds to contemplate that before hitting the send
key. OK, I'll stick with that one.

For us that don't work at bike shops, we spend a lot more time with
our wives. Well, most of us do. 101 niggling issues, even as
hyperbole, is a bit more than should be for even the process of buying
a custom bike from the ground up. And this isn't the case here.

If there is another bike shop in the area that is competent, then
maybe its time to take a look there.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...