Been away a few days ... have you lot seen this?

Old July 16th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian henden

Default Been away a few days ... have you lot seen this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

--
---
IanH

Old July 16th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

"ian henden" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Seems fair enough to me. I can just imagine the outrage on this group if it
was a car that jumped the light and hit a cyclist. The law is the law, we
can't choose which bits to ignore.

However, if it was a red light with a traffic sensor that a bike wont
trigger, maybe a different story, but as that isn't mentioned it is pure
speculation on my part.

Bill

Old July 16th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

ian henden wrote on 16/07/2006 08:54 +0100:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Been done ^

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old July 16th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

ian henden wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Yes we have seen this and the cyclist has been roundly condemned and the
actons taken fully supported.

John B

Old July 16th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Bill wrote:

"ian henden" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Seems fair enough to me.

As has been stated already by many on this group.

I can just imagine the outrage on this group if it
was a car that jumped the light and hit a cyclist.

Of course. Who wouldn't be outraged at such an incident.

The law is the law, we
can't choose which bits to ignore.

No one has suggested anything about 'choosing which bits (of the law) to
ignore'.
The moron should have the book thrown at him as should all who jump red
lights..

John B

Old July 16th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Yeah, there's a small thread down (or up) there full of people calling him
a time/money wasting twonk.

I have a little sympathy with peeps stuck at red lights at 5 in the morning
- if they're there to control traffic flow, why not turn them off when the
traffic is so light that the lights hinder the flow?

I've not really much sympathy with someone who is presumably so blind as to
go through a red light in front of a policeman. Obviously a danger to
himself and others.
Old July 16th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

ian henden wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Yup, look at the thread called "Not seen this one mentioned here yet!".

Apparently someone who works/worked for Sustrans. A bit of a twunt, even
if the light was stuck on red because it could not detect his bike, what
was wrong with dismounting and walking across.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.
Old July 16th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

Mark Thompson wrote:
I have a little sympathy with peeps stuck at red lights at 5 in the morning
- if they're there to control traffic flow, why not turn them off when the
traffic is so light that the lights hinder the flow?

I wonder how much electricity/money that would save too....
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/5179610.stm)

I'm sure some people on here have experienced traffic light failures
and seen how traffic usually sorts itself out anyway - when it is
suggested that traffic lights be removed engineers who are responsible
for manintaining them are very quick to point out how good they are!

peter

Old July 16th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

naked_draughtsman wrote on 16/07/2006 10:41 +0100:

I'm sure some people on here have experienced traffic light failures
and seen how traffic usually sorts itself out anyway - when it is
suggested that traffic lights be removed engineers who are responsible
for manintaining them are very quick to point out how good they are!

In the US they switch some traffic lights to flashing at night with a
flashing red meaning stop and then proceed if clear and a flashing amber
meaning proceed with caution, converting it more or less to either a
priority road with a side road junction or to a four way junction.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old July 16th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:44:39 +0000 (UTC), Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/5179058.stm

Yeah, there's a small thread down (or up) there full of people calling him
a time/money wasting twonk.

I have a little sympathy with peeps stuck at red lights at 5 in the morning
- if they're there to control traffic flow, why not turn them off when the
traffic is so light that the lights hinder the flow?

In many countries lights turn to flashing amber during quiet periods.
Some major roundabouts and motorway slip roads have part-time signals.

easy money in 30 days trip Rides 0 March 11th 05 03:59 AM
Good days and bad days biking Badger_South General 2 September 3rd 04 06:04 PM
Ten days for Katy Trail - and then what? Kevin Saff Rides 25 August 27th 04 11:13 PM
7 days in Moab danger_uni Unicycling 9 May 12th 04 04:01 PM
RR some days at the races Penny S. Mountain Biking 1 July 29th 03 04:40 AM