Any theories on Specialized steel return?

Old September 26th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

Default Any theories on Specialized steel return?

On Sep 26, 11:36*am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Paul G. wrote:
I still ride steel too, as I need a custom sized frame and I wouldn't
go any faster on anything else. Sometimes when I'm pedaling downhill,
feeling like I'm going pretty fast I'll look at my cycle computer and
think "wow, this is what the pros AVERAGE in a time trial."
-Paul

Steel is real. *I ride an Olmo c. 1982, Columbus SL, 51 cm.

I agree completely, the UCI should prohibit non-ferrous bikes
along with multi-gear rear wheels. Flip-flop hubs on steel
bikes, just like the old days. It'll make the racing more
interesting.

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry.

Bob Schwartz

Steel is good enough for fattie masters. If I thought it would help
me keep up with the aging 3rd place LANCE I'd fork over the bucks for
a custom carbon frame, but that's not going to happen. Flip flop hubs
would probably throw my back out, so don't be ridiculous.
-Paul
Old September 26th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Sep 26, 2:41*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:

Carbon frames are getting enough miles on them now that they're beginning to
fail.

One of my friends rides a Novara he got at REI. The carbon forks
broke. That's what he gets for riding a woman's bike. And driving into
his garage with it on a roof rack.
-Paul
Old September 27th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Steel is real. I ride an Olmo c. 1982, Columbus SL, 51 cm.

I have one of these too. And even though I have many other bikes this
one is the one I grab first. 55cm with Campy SR and still has the down
tube shifters.

Yeah, I am a retro grouch.

Also have a Colubus SL Medici, a Harry Quinn 531 TT bike, Colnago
Tandem, Ron Kitching Cyclo Cross Bike, Pinnarelo Funny TTT Bike and an
Vitus Carbon that I won't ride at my current FM weight.

No real coincidence, I like Steel too.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com
Old September 27th 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Paul G. wrote:
On Sep 26, 2:41 pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
Carbon frames are getting enough miles on them now that they're beginning to
fail.

One of my friends rides a Novara he got at REI. The carbon forks
broke. That's what he gets for riding a woman's bike. And driving into
his garage with it on a roof rack.
-Paul

It's a choice you've got to make. Buy a bike with a carbon fork and
you've got to purchase a new fork. Buy one with a steel fork and you'll
have to replace the whole damned garage.
Old September 29th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

William R. Mattil wrote:
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Steel is real. I ride an Olmo c. 1982, Columbus SL, 51 cm.

I have one of these too. And even though I have many other bikes this
one is the one I grab first. 55cm with Campy SR and still has the down
tube shifters.

Yeah, I am a retro grouch.

Also have a Colubus SL Medici, a Harry Quinn 531 TT bike, Colnago
Tandem, Ron Kitching Cyclo Cross Bike, Pinnarelo Funny TTT Bike and an
Vitus Carbon that I won't ride at my current FM weight.

No real coincidence, I like Steel too.

Bill

Medici--hmmm. Do you know Bill Recht? Haven't seen him in years. We
had lots of Medicis in our club, Bill rode with us (LIBC) and also the
BTCNJ.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old September 29th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Medici--hmmm. Do you know Bill Recht? Haven't seen him in years. We
had lots of Medicis in our club, Bill rode with us (LIBC) and also the
BTCNJ.

Hi Steve,

Name doesn't ring a bell .... When I raced I was living in S Calif and
it was a no brainer to have a Medici for a Crit bike. Very stiff and
they were local (Los Angeles) for any necessary repairs. In fact if
memory serves Mike Howard, who with Brian Bayless were Wizard Cycles,
worked there and even repaired the top tube on my Harry Quinn.

Regards

Bill

Old September 29th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Sep 29, 11:43*am, "William R. Mattil"
wrote:
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Medici--hmmm. *Do you know Bill Recht? *Haven't seen him in years. *We
had lots of Medicis in our club, Bill rode with us (LIBC) and also the
BTCNJ.

Hi Steve,

Name doesn't ring a bell .... When I raced I was living in S Calif and
it was a no brainer to have a Medici for a Crit bike. Very stiff and
they were local (Los Angeles) for any necessary repairs. In fact if
memory serves Mike Howard, who with Brian Bayless were Wizard Cycles,
worked there and even repaired the top tube on my Harry Quinn.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

Weren't the Medici guys behind Simonetti bikes? I had a steel
Simonetti frame years ago and loved it.
Old September 29th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

wrote:
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Medici--hmmm. Do you know Bill Recht? Haven't seen him in years. We
had lots of Medicis in our club, Bill rode with us (LIBC) and also the
BTCNJ.

Hi Steve,

Name doesn't ring a bell .... When I raced I was living in S Calif and
it was a no brainer to have a Medici for a Crit bike. Very stiff and
they were local (Los Angeles) for any necessary repairs. In fact if
memory serves Mike Howard, who with Brian Bayless were Wizard Cycles,
worked there and even repaired the top tube on my Harry Quinn.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

Weren't the Medici guys behind Simonetti bikes? I had a steel
Simonetti frame years ago and loved it.

Yes,

Gian Simonetti was the owner.

Regards