Unicyclist wins Turnip Prize for rubbish art

Old December 4th 03, 07:10 AM
GILD

Default Unicyclist wins Turnip Prize for rubbish art

A long-distance unicyclist has won a Somerset pub's Turnip Prize for
rubbish
artwork.

James Timms, 26, said he was "shocked and overwhelmed" to win the West
of
England's most worthless art award.

Judges say Mr Timms' raw chicken stuffed with leaves, entitled Take a
Leaf From
My Chuck, easily saw off competition.

The prize has been awarded by the The New Inn, Wedmore, since pub-goer
Trevor
Prideaux started it five years ago. He launched the prize as a parody of
the
Turner Prize.

Regulars at the pub vie with each other to produce "works of art" which
they
reckon are just as worthy as some of the Turner Prize entries, reports
the
Bristol Evening Post.

Mr Timms insists he's followed the rules to the letter by putting no
effort into
his work whatsoever.

Mr Timms said a "freak leaf-blowing accident in a farmyard" inspired his
work.
"I like to think of it as interactive, because you can remove the leaves
from
the chicken and put them back again," he said.

Winning the prize was an emotional moment for Mr Timms. "Last year my
entry was
a potted shrub with dark glasses and a magnifying glass, called Privet
Investigator. But I was disqualified for putting in too much effort," he
added.

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more
hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have
ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow
'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old December 4th 03, 12:07 PM
Mellick

"I like to think of it as interactive, because you can remove the leaves
from the chicken and put them back again,"

That's good.

--
Mellick - My uni? A $150 norko!

Hi, I'm Andrew!