Looking for a good MUni.

Old December 4th 03, 10:40 PM
danger_uni

Default Looking for a good MUni.

hell-on-wheel wrote:
*

Is your question here "Why do I need a $60 'gazz'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=295), when I could
just get a cheaper 24X3 inch tire like the 'Savage'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=561) or the 'IRC
Kujo' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=734)?

I would say it's all about tread pattern and rubber quality. The Gazz
has some pretty extreme knobs, though I haven't really tested out any
of the other 24X3's so maybe they're just as good. Also, I've ridden
my gazz on asphalt quite bit, yet there is hardly any tread wear to
speak of. When I picked up Trip Glazer from AU on the way to the NJ
Muni Weekend, I was surprised at how much the knobs had been worn off
his Savage (that's the tire, not the crappy unicycle company), which
he had owned only a few months.

But yeah, the only reason I got a gazz was because everyone else
seemed to use them. But, who knows, perhaps there's a better 3" tire
out there that simply doesn't have the same name recognition. *

The Gazz has pros and cons to it. I've used one for a few years, but
currently have a stock Duro on my 2004 KH24.

The big knobs, huge volume and stiff sidewalls of the Gazz make it the
best tire for technical downhill and big drops in my opinion. Also, the
square profile means that you have a lot of leeway when riding narrow
logs- you can be practically off the log and still have the square
profile gripping along the tire edge. It also seems to help prevent
slipping sideways when diagonaling across muddy/slippery slopes.

However, the Gazz has some disadvantages as well, compared to the Duro
or Kujo or Arrow or other 3" tires. It's heavier, only slightly but
you do notice it. Also the round profile that's an advantage for log
riding is less friendly for cornering than the rounder profile tires- it
feels noticeably more sluggish in my opinion.

All in all, I'd say that if you focus on technical downhill or ride
somewhere with really sharp rocky terrain and are worried about
pinchflats, spend the extra $$ and get a 3" Gazz. If you are worried
about weight or want more of an all-round tire, the other 24x3" options
may well be better.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm