Crank arms: Bicycle Euro vs. Nimbus X

Old December 4th 03, 05:32 AM
Uni

Default Crank arms: Bicycle Euro vs. Nimbus X

Hi,

I'm looking for crank arms for a 29" street ("touring") unicycle. I don't
plan to do any big drops, but I'll probably ride off curbs and such. I may
do some light trails as well. I've narrowed the choices down to two:

Bicycle Euro steel crank arms
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=165)

Nimbus X aluminum alloy crank arms
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=754)

I know the steel is heavier but stronger. Would I need the extra strength
for these types of riding? How much would the extra weight matter?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Old December 4th 03, 05:55 AM
muniracer

i have not used the nimbus x alloy crank arms yet but i plan to in the
future. if you utilize the search feature of the website you will find
a lot about the bicycle euros. my one experience with them was negative
and brief. i bent them after one weekend of hardcore muni. it sounds
like you wont be doing much of this but i would go so far as to
recommend these over the euros

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=163

they are $12, much better than $15 for euros. some people will stand by
the euros though, so try to get everyone's opinion before you make up
your mind.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old December 4th 03, 06:59 AM
daino149

Hey,
I don't have much to say, accept I started a very similar thread in the
product review forum:
http://tinyurl.com/xnz1

There actually isn't much there either.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

XWonka: Stick that in your Sig and smoke it.

Old December 4th 03, 09:31 PM
TonyMelton

The Nimbus X cranks are stronger and lighter than the BE's.

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old December 4th 03, 10:04 PM
Uni

Really, the aluminum alloy cranks are actually stronger than the steel
cranks?

"TonyMelton" om wrote in
message icyclist.com...

Old December 4th 03, 10:40 PM
Dirtsurfer

If anyone cares I put both on a scale. The Euros in 150 weigh
606g/pair, the Nimbus in 152 weigh 460g/pair. Haven't tried the Nimbus
yet, they arrived today.

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

Old December 4th 03, 11:25 PM
Uni

Thanks! That's extremely helpful.

I think I'm going to go with the Bicycle Euro. They must be stronger than
the Nimbus X, and the 150 mm Bicycle Euro are only 146g (0.322 lbs) heavier
per pair than the 152 mm Nimbus X.

"Dirtsurfer" om wrote in
message news