yet another stillstand post

Old December 4th 03, 12:55 AM
hole-in-my-shoe

Default yet another stillstand post

danger_uni wrote:
*

You also get better balance in stillstands with arms in tension rather
than flapping loosely all over the place.*

This is obviously the best way to do it. But it's not the way I do it
because, let's face it, I'm not the best at doing it. But nevertheless,
I positively enjoy flapping my arms around. Sometimes I can get this
whole groovy thing going where I swing to the left, swing to the right,
then swing back, etc. Can't picture it? Think of Austin Powers dancing
down the street at the start of that film, and, well. Enough said.

Yeah, baby!

--
hole-in-my-shoe - getting bigger
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

Old December 4th 03, 01:32 AM
muniracer

danger_uni wrote:
*

I think it's also good know how to stillstand in any pedal
orientation. This is really helpful if you are riding along narrow
round railings, because if you feel yourself losing it a bit you can
stop, readjust in the stillstand, and then keep going.

Kris. *

is this still standing or sitting? when i ride standing, i have to hold
onto the seat or it will fall behind me.

at the point im at, i usually have to bend one arm to point in the same
direction as the other, to preserve my balance. is this bad technique
or okay since i havent really excelled at it yet?

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old December 4th 03, 05:55 PM
danger_uni

muniracer wrote:
*

is this still standing or sitting? when i ride standing, i have to
hold onto the seat or it will fall behind me.

at the point im at, i usually have to bend one arm to point in the
same direction as the other, to preserve my balance. is this bad
technique or okay since i havent really excelled at it yet? *

In the end I think you need to do what you need to do to stay upright,
whatever that is. I'm just saying that if you keep some muscle tension
in your arms, your arms work better to maintain balance.

Also like in the last post, you can do a lot with the position of your
hips, because core balance is so much more effective than anything else.
Shifting your hip position totally alters your balance and it's easier
to do this if you are standing up- that's why standing up is easier.

Figuring out how to stillstand on any incline is important too for
trials, as is hopping into a stillstand, and mounting directly into a
stillstand. The last one is incredibly helpful for mounting on narrow
rails. Ultimately I think stillstands in cool places can be a sport
unto itself!

Kris

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Old December 5th 03, 05:06 AM
Klaas Bil

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:55:13 -0600, danger_uni
om wrote:

Ultimately I think stillstands in cool places can be a sport
unto itself!

Ah, we have a new discipline! "Suni", for Stillstanding unicycling.
You heard it here first. We also need a special type of unicycle for
this. E.g. with a flat spot on the tyre. And a wheel that's welded
onto the frame. :-)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."