Home made unicycle for long distance: Making a uni from a bicycle.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:53 AM
Mike McDermott

Default Home made unicycle for long distance: Making a uni from a bicycle.

O.K. Maybe I won't be able to keep up with bicycles, except slow ones, but
with my 20", I can't even keep up w/ joggers!
One use I am looking for is to be able to "pace" my friend who trains for
marathons. I'm not interested
in training for a marathon, and riding a bike at that speed would bore me.

I have a goal in the back of my head to uni the "Hilly Hundred" which is a
100 mile - 2 day bike ride in Southern Indiana.
They have about 5000 riders. I figure with that many, I won't be the
slowest.

-Kokomojuggler

"harper" wrote in message
list.com...

Mike-

You sent me an e-mail a couple of days ago to which I was unable to
respond due to mailer errors.

First, the guy Gild is referring to is Jeff Baker and he goes by
unibiker on these fora. Jeff has an incredible machine and quite a
history getting there.

Second, skip the 16" wheel for speed. The larger the wheel diameter the
smoother your ride will be. Road irregularities love to sneak up through
gear trains and bite you and small diameter wheels invite that kind of
response.

Third, Cokers are fast and smooth but they can't compete with bikes. I
have passed many a bicyclist on Blue Shift but it's hard work all the
way and it has to be on a smooth, level bike path. To maintain a high
enough speed I am in full protective gear because when I go down at that
speed I go down hard. I have passed few bicyclists on a Coker and those
are almost exclusively during a climb.

Please try to send an e-mail to me again. It may be a problem related to
sending an e-mail on the first day you registered on RSU.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

Old December 3rd 03, 10:15 AM
jagur

Mike McDermott wrote:
*I have a goal in the back of my head to uni the "Hilly Hundred" which
is a 100 mile - 2 day bike ride in Southern Indiana.
They have about 5000 riders. I figure with that many, I won't be the
slowest. *

you wont be last at all if it is truly that hilly,unicycles rule on the
hills (uphills) .just get a 29er (unicycle with 700c tyre) and some
cranks of no longer than 125mm.you will pass hundreds with that
combo...i however wouldnt be able to endure that type of distance
riding.you must be in great shape.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old December 4th 03, 10:46 AM
Mike McDermott

"jagur" wrote in message
ist.com...

Mike McDermott wrote:
*I have a goal in the back of my head to uni the "Hilly Hundred" which
is a 100 mile - 2 day bike ride in Southern Indiana.
They have about 5000 riders. I figure with that many, I won't be the
slowest. *

you wont be last at all if it is truly that hilly,unicycles rule on the
hills (uphills) .just get a 29er (unicycle with 700c tyre) and some
cranks of no longer than 125mm.you will pass hundreds with that
combo...i however wouldnt be able to endure that type of distance
riding.you must be in great shape.

I'm not in that great of shape now, I have almost a year. The ride is in
October. It's only 50 miles/day. I'll be happy to complete each day in
10 hours. I rode a 24" uni for 5 miles w/o problems. I just have to do
that 10 times!

Where does one get tires for these odd size unicycles?

Old December 4th 03, 01:20 PM
joona

Mike McDermott wrote:
*It's only 50 miles/day. I'll be happy to complete each day in
10 hours.

Where does one get tires for these odd size unicycles?
*

Have you visited unicycle.com? Or unicycle.uk.com? Go to either of those
and check their road and commuting unis.

Then to that 50 miles/day. You need a realy good saddle for this.
Otherwise your sitting part of your body is mincemeat. You'll probably
want a KH saddle or an air saddle conversion.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old December 5th 03, 09:48 AM
Naomi

"johnfoss" wrote in
message yclist.com...

In my earliest days of riding I experimented with larger top chainrings
on my Schwinn Giraffe. You can get more speed this way, but it is
unlikely you will reach the equivalent of bike speeds.

Same on a Coker. I was hoping to do rides with my wife on her new
recumbent, and we will. But it will be up to me to keep up, and up to
her to wait for me every once in a while...

I know it is naughty of me, and a revealing indication of my sorry state of
mind, but I cannot read that last paragraph without my imagination dragging
me off in what must surely be totally the wrong direction.

Naomi ;-)

Old December 5th 03, 11:24 AM
Borges

When correctly viewed
everything is lewd.

I don't get it, but DON'T explain.

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925