Rear LED light effectiveness.

Old March 14th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Rear LED light effectiveness.

wrote:
Driving home last night I overtook a cyclist with what from about 100m
away I thought was a very dim constant rear light. As I overtook him I
saw it was a Cateye LD600 on the chasing mode where each LED lights up
in turn but there is only one LED on at any time. So from the
perspective of a driver this mode would appear to be useless.

This post grabbed my attention because I use an LD600 in chasing mode
(alongside 3 steady rear lamps). It would be interesting to know,
though, whether the mode is generally useless or whether it was just
because the batteries were running low.

A few months ago I asked a colleague to follow me down the hill from the
office to judge the effectiveness of my reflective armbands. I think
that next winter I'll have to ask him to judge the effectiveness of the
LD600 in chasing mode.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Old March 14th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 14 Mar 2006 06:01:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Driving home last night I overtook a cyclist with what from about 100m
away I thought was a very dim constant rear light. As I overtook him I
saw it was a Cateye LD600 on the chasing mode where each LED lights up
in turn but there is only one LED on at any time. So from the
perspective of a driver this mode would appear to be useless. IE only 1
fifth of the light put out compared to either the constant mode where
all LEDs are lit or the flashing mode where all LEDs flash
simultaneously. Plus from a distance the chasing mode loses the
flashing effect.
I use two LD600s on my commuter but don't use the chasing mode anyway.
But it made me wonder whether anyone knew of any side by side
comparisons of LED lights. Given sites like "Your Tube" and Google
Video it would be possible to post video clips of different lights "in
action" so to speak, perhaps side by side comparisons.
As a side issue the cyclist concerned had a poor rear light, no
reflectors and dark clothing. But he was wearing a helmet so
everything would be OK right?

Not knowing what's most effective, I hedge my bets:

On my seat post I have a Cateye TL-LD1000, used in random mode.
http://www.cateye.com/uk/productImag..._LD1000_lg.jpg

Mounted below the rear of my rack I have a Vistalite, used in chaser
mode.
http://www.pricepoint.com/images/sty...5%20VISSN0.jpg

Mounted on my mud guard I have a B&M Seculite Plus, only available in
constant mode.
http://www.bumm.de/docu/grafiken/330alk.jpg
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
Old March 14th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin typed

Not knowing what's most effective, I hedge my bets:

Can't you find a friend to help you ascertain what's most effective?

One person tries some kind of light and rides off. The other stands
behind and watches, and/or gets into a car to observe.

A driver could follow the cyclist and the comment on what's effective
and where.

Cycling in groups will also help you ascertain which of your clubmates
have poor lights.

I've seldom seen a nightAUK with poor lights.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 14th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

The naked_draughtsman wrote:

I have a cheapo rear LED light which I use in constant mode. One thing
I've noticed is that with freshly charged batteries, it is very bright
and hurts your eyes to look at it directly.

I used to be a complete advocate for LED rear lights set to flashing mode,
but this was probably because it was in the days before I discovered
retroreflective sticky tape and good capacity rechargeable batteries.
Having also been taking more interest in how I see others on their bikes at
night (cf. Cyclecraft), rather than how I think others see me on my bike,
I've decided that steady LEDs being powered by good batteries are much more
visible and it does seem easier to ascertain their distance.

Mostly I use the Vistalite VL300-series lights, though I have a Cateye LD600
on the trike; the former lasts for ages on a set of batteries and has a
built-in reflector, but the latter is much brighter. I augment the lights
with lots of red reflective tape on static parts of the bike, and amber on
moving parts, and I have a Vistalite Whaletail light set to flashing mode
attached to the top of my lid.

Becky

Old March 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:51:53 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Tom Crispin typed

Not knowing what's most effective, I hedge my bets:

Can't you find a friend to help you ascertain what's most effective?

One person tries some kind of light and rides off. The other stands
behind and watches, and/or gets into a car to observe.

A driver could follow the cyclist and the comment on what's effective
and where.

Cycling in groups will also help you ascertain which of your clubmates
have poor lights.

I've seldom seen a nightAUK with poor lights.

I don't quite know how to respond to that!

I suppose I don't really want to find out which is most effective 'cos
I like drawing attention to myself and looking like a Christmas tree.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
to ride a stationary bicycle. -
Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

Rear light etiquitte advice wanted. [email protected] General 10 October 21st 05 09:14 AM
Best "Be Seen" LED Light? Front and Rear? Gurrie Australia 19 May 3rd 05 12:05 PM
Rear light bracket Steph Peters UK 14 December 9th 04 12:29 AM
rear lights Dmitri Colebatch Australia 11 March 11th 04 12:03 AM
Brightest LED red (rear) light? Jose B. Ruivo UK 0 February 22nd 04 12:47 PM