Rear LED light effectiveness.

Old March 15th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Rear LED light effectiveness.

Terry wrote:

I didn't make a general point. I made a specific point about a specific
incident in which a specific person did a very foolish thing in a specific
location which caused it also to be very dangerous. Had it been two lads
larking about I wouldn't have mentioned it, but a small child is entitled
to expect better, both of its carers and of other adults who might, for
whatever reason, choose to gloss over criminal stupidity with glib
generalisations.

Perhaps it might surprise you to know that not only is cycling extremely
safe - safer than walking - but it is no more dangerous to cycle at
night than in the daytime despite the large number of cyclists that
cycle at night without lights - although I am not one of them. So as I
said they are not critical.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old March 15th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

May I suggest you don't take a trip to China. From the sound of it
your heart would pack up in 0.0001 seconds if you saw the way people
cycled at night in some of the cities I have visited

I expect they have a much higher accident rate to go with it too.

The OP does seem to be frothing at the mouth rather too much - no lights
and a sprog on the crossbar doesn't strike me as particularly dangerous,
but is certainly Very Naughty and as such shouldn't be done. Still,
cycling at speed with no lights is just asking for a smidsy.
Old March 15th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

I've been horrified by dim cyclists whilst driving as well.

At night I wear a yellow hi-vis altura coat.
I use a 2002 Halfords LED rear on continuous, it has a large surface area
and can be seen from afar.
I put new batteries in it before it gets dim. 1 pint = 2 sets of super
duper batteries.

Stealth cycling needs to end.

John

Yet I can (and do) go out well lit, covered in fluorescent or bright yellow,
and reflectives... and still be, apparently, invisible to motorists.

Today I had five rear lights *on*, three front lights on, large areas of
reflectives and wearing *bright* yellow and reflective/fluorescent tape in
vast qantities... and still I had a motorist almost run into the back of me
and when it decided to overtake, it did so with millimetres of gap between
me and the vehicle.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 15th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Today I had five rear lights *on*, three front lights on, large areas
of reflectives and wearing *bright* yellow and reflective/fluorescent
tape in vast qantities... and still I had a motorist almost run into
the back of me and when it decided to overtake, it did so with
millimetres of gap between me and the vehicle.

I'd suggest that he *had* seen you..
Old March 15th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Mark Thompson"
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote in
message 0.163...
Today I had five rear lights *on*, three front lights on, large areas
of reflectives and wearing *bright* yellow and reflective/fluorescent
tape in vast qantities... and still I had a motorist almost run into
the back of me and when it decided to overtake, it did so with
millimetres of gap between me and the vehicle.

I'd suggest that he *had* seen you..

Well there is that :-(

Mind you, on the positive side, I had the usual waves and smiles from the
HGV drivers en route to and from the local quarry :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old March 15th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:

Today I had five rear lights *on*, three front lights on, large areas
of reflectives and wearing *bright* yellow and reflective/fluorescent
tape in vast qantities... and still I had a motorist almost run into the
back of me and when it decided to overtake, it did so with millimetres
of gap between me and the vehicle.

Moths to the light?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old March 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Terry wrote:
I didn't make a general point. I made a specific point about a specific
incident in which a specific person did a very foolish thing in a specific
location which caused it also to be very dangerous. Had it been two lads
larking about I wouldn't have mentioned it, but a small child is entitled
to expect better, both of its carers and of other adults who might, for
whatever reason, choose to gloss over criminal stupidity with glib
generalisations.

My son goes to Boys Brigade on a Wednesday night.
I generally take him there on Igor (the tandem.)
A small number of other parents also travel by bike, and the elder
brother of one of the boys.

I (as one would expect) have front and rear lights, plus lots of
reflective tape of various colours, and both wheel and handlebar end
flashy things.

One of the other parents wears a hi-vis construction jacket, rides a
MTB and has minimal LED lights front and rear. Walks his son home.
One other parent, who I am led to believe cycles because his car
license is currently suspended, rides a BMX, no lights. Takes his son
home standing on the rear stunt pegs.
The other lad who has occasionally turned up on his bike has no lights
and no brakes. Doesn't seem to think this is a problem.

Strangely enough I expect them all to survive.

BTW the helmet count is close to zero - my son wears one when he wants
to. It is up to him.

...d

Rear light etiquitte advice wanted. [email protected] General 10 October 21st 05 09:14 AM
Best "Be Seen" LED Light? Front and Rear? Gurrie Australia 19 May 3rd 05 12:05 PM
Rear light bracket Steph Peters UK 14 December 9th 04 12:29 AM
rear lights Dmitri Colebatch Australia 11 March 11th 04 12:03 AM
Brightest LED red (rear) light? Jose B. Ruivo UK 0 February 22nd 04 12:47 PM