yet another stillstand post

Old December 2nd 03, 06:30 AM
muniracer

Default yet another stillstand post

sorry guys, i know there has been an abundance of stillstand threads
recently, but i couldnt help myself.

so heres the deal:

first i practiced stillstands with the front of my wheel against a wall,
so i can apply pressure forward without moving the wheel and i can
stillstand for basically as long as my patience will allow (around 30
seconds).

then i tried a stillstand with no wall and i cant last more than 2
seconds. i feel like if i start to fall, there is nothing i can do to
change my balance, despite how hard i throw my arms or shift my hips.
so hear is what i want to know:

a) when i am standed on the pedals, should my legs be loose, or tight?
b) how should i distribute the weight on both pedals?
c) should i adjust balance with arms or body?
d) should my weight be above the wheel, or should i lean a certain
way?
e) should i pedal slightly when i start to lean forward or back?

thanks guys

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old December 2nd 03, 07:59 AM
andrew_carter

Here's a horribly over-simplified breakdown of stillstanding from my
experience...

If you're falling to the right, lean as if to touch your right leg with
both hands. Also, keep your arms out wide and weat on the seat. I keep
my legs pretty relaxed. That's what I reckon anyway.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old December 2nd 03, 03:50 PM
muniracer

everytime i see kris stillstand it looks like he is standing up. from
your post, andrew, it sounds like you sit down. which is better,
standing or sitting?

Old December 2nd 03, 04:38 PM
foxx

standing at stillstands is better than sitting on the unicycle. if you
stand, you can make easier small correction in the direction...

_felix

--
foxx - www.unitrials.de

GOD BLESS
-
http://www.unitrials.de
'unicycling extreme!' (http://tinyurl.com/dx9q) -
http://www.doc-team.de
bike&unicycle - trial - shows
foxx's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/572

Old December 2nd 03, 04:57 PM
James_Potter

a) when i am standed on the pedals, should my legs be loose, or tight?
Be in the position you would be in to hop, standing on the pedals off of
the seat.

b) how should i distribute the weight on both pedals?
My last answer should help on this one, I think.

c) should i adjust balance with arms or body?
Both. Hold your arms out to the sides and use them for balance, and also
lean left-right according to which direction you're falling.

d) should my weight be above the wheel, or should i lean a certain
way?
Lean to the side when you're falling the other way.

e) should i pedal slightly when i start to lean forward or back?
No, I do that sometimes too, but it starts to get into miniature idling
which is no longer stillstanding.

Hope this helps.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *GILBY* hadn't
killed it.-

Old December 2nd 03, 09:49 PM
andrew_carter

I wasn't sure a week ago whether I preferred to stand or sit but I've
now come to the conclusion that I like to sit when doing normal
stillstands. By normal I mean on flat ground, etc. I find I can relax
that way and focus on keeping my balance right. If I'm attempting to
(and I mean attempting ) stillstand on some sort of rail or something
or just generally in a trials situation I can't help standing up. Then
if I lose balance I can hop away onto some other object easier. That's
just what I prefer though...keep in mind that I can't really stillstand
very well.

Andrew

Old December 2nd 03, 11:57 PM
muniracer

finally! i think i am starting to get the hang of it!! ive been
getting some good 5 seconders, which is good for my first day of
practice. standing stillstand, that is...

Old December 3rd 03, 08:02 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:30:08 -0600, muniracer
m wrote:

first i practiced stillstands with the front of my wheel against a wall,
so i can apply pressure forward without moving the wheel and i can
stillstand for basically as long as my patience will allow (around 30
seconds).

I never tried that. Good idea as a precursor to proper stillstanding.

a) when i am standed on the pedals, should my legs be loose, or tight?

My personal preference is tight.
b) how should i distribute the weight on both pedals?

Such that you stand still. I.e., on flat ground, the weight should be
equal.
c) should i adjust balance with arms or body?

Not sure what is best. I do both.
d) should my weight be above the wheel, or should i lean a certain
way?

Above the wheel (support point). Otherwise you inevitably will fall.
e) should i pedal slightly when i start to lean forward or back?

No, that is considered cheating. Stand STILL you know. I don't know
how literally this should be taken. I'm sure that with sensitive
enough equipment you could detect some fore/aft movement in every
stillstand.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Old December 3rd 03, 11:56 PM
danger_uni

muniracer wrote:
*everytime i see kris stillstand it looks like he is standing up.
from your post, andrew, it sounds like you sit down. which is better,
standing or sitting? *

Standing up helps in my opinion, as it's easier to move your core
around. Also, think about stillstand balancing as keeping your core
centred over the unicycle. Arms help, but core balance is more
important. You also get better balance in stillstands with arms in
tension rather than flapping loosely all over the place.

I think the best solution to getting better at stillstands is to just
include them in normal rides by thinking of basic trials hopping as
transfers between stillstands. This way you get to practice them
multiple times every time you ride instead of having to set aside time
to actually practice them.

I think it's also good know how to stillstand in any pedal orientation.
This is really helpful if you are riding along narrow round railings,
because if you feel yourself losing it a bit you can stop, readjust in
the stillstand, and then keep going.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm