Nimbus MUni 24"

Old December 3rd 03, 12:05 AM
pete66

Default Nimbus MUni 24"

http://tinyurl.com/wb3w

Want to go off-road, then this is the machine for you! The
specification is set up for entry level Muni riding.

Specification includes: Nimbus II frame fitted on a 36 spoke DX32 rim
with 14 gauge stainless steel spokes and 152mm cranks. The tyre is a
Duro Wildlife Leopard 24x3.0. It also comes with the Kris Holm saddle
and our new anti-twist seat post. Note; due to the hub style * this
unicycle is not suitable for serious jumping*

At what height does a risible jump become serious? I mean uh, would I
break this thing jumpin off ledges? I weigh in at 64kg.

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old December 3rd 03, 12:11 AM
muniracer

i dont have this uni so i dont know for sure, but my muni has a square
tapered hub too and basically it just means that it is not as strong as
a splined hub. honestly, dont do anything bigger that 4 feet onto
concrete ever and dont do anything more than 3 with any frequency. hope
this helps. i think the warning is just to stop e-mails complaining
that the cranks broke off during an 8 foot drop!

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old December 3rd 03, 06:38 AM
duaner

muniracer wrote:
*i dont have this uni so i dont know for sure, but my muni has a
square tapered hub too and basically it just means that it is not as
strong as a splined hub.*

IF the unicycle.co.nz 'Nimbus Muni 24\"' (http://tinyurl.com/wb3w) is
the same as the unicycle.com(USA) 'Nimbus 24-inch MUni'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=745) then the hub is
the new "Unicycle.com wide-flange CrMO hardened steel hub". Is this hub
not likely to be considerably stronger than traditional square tapered
hubs (like muniracer's)?

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old December 3rd 03, 11:03 AM
joona

pete66 wrote:
*At what height does a risible jump become serious? I mean uh, would I
break this thing jumpin off ledges? I weigh in at 64kg. *

I don't know, how high it's rated but I can do something between 80-90cm
drops and haven't broken anything yet. And it's that older Nimbus hub
that probably comes with that Nimbus too.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old December 3rd 03, 11:11 AM
thinuniking

i was going to get this muni(nimbus II) if i ever got a muni but i have
seen a much better deal on www.municycle.com a 24" with splined hub for
£180 the nimbus on unicycle.uk is "160 so £20 extra and you get a much
better hub and crank set so thats what i would now get.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old December 3rd 03, 11:50 PM
TonyMelton

Pete - Muniracer is right on the money with his comments. The hub is not
splined so you can't do big drops on it and expect it to survive very
long. The Nimbus MUni 24" on www.unicycle.co.nz is indeed the same as
the UK's Nimbus 24-inch MUni. The hub has been redesigned and hardened
to a hardness similar to that of the Suzue hub.

Cheers,

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (
http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old December 4th 03, 07:05 AM
rogeratunicycledotcom

TonyMelton wrote:
*...... hub has been redesigned and hardened to a hardness similar to
that of the Suzue hub.
*

The hub is actually a lot strongerand tougher than the Susue. The Susue
at it's hardest is 440 vickers while the new hub is about 580 vickers
and because it is made from CrMO it is also considerably tougher.

To answer how strong it is and whether it will take big drops. Well in
my opinion and from what I have seen so far you will not break the hub.
But you will bend cranks if you do persistant big drops or jumps.
A lot of this depends on how you jump, I do regular 12" hops and also 3'
drop offs on a standard susue hub and with "super soft" aluminium cranks
that I had to stop selling because we had so many back! and they have
not broken in 4 years. But I have see a 60lb kid do 4" drop off and
bend Bicycle Euro Steel cranks. Technique has a lot to do with it.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116