Staying stationary

Old July 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Ludwig77

Default Staying stationary

I'm told that there is a Las Vegas restaurant that has waiters who
take orders and deliver food on unicycles.

I'm wondering if there are any tips on how I can learn to be able to
ride so stationary.....

It seems to me that I can best ride in a stationary place if I
position the pedals so that one of my legs is usually straight down
like I'm standing.

Any other tips?
Old July 1st 04, 03:27 PM
Borges

Do you mean Idling ('like this'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=w320240idleL) ) or do you want
to stand completely still?

--
Borges

"However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Old July 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
Ludwig77

"Borges" wrote in message yclist.com...
Do you mean Idling ('like this'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=w320240idleL) ) or do you want
to stand completely still?

Sorry. Still learning the jargon. I meant idling.
Old July 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
johnfoss

I think if a unicycling restaurant existed in Las Vegas, we would have
heard about it. I can think of a number of reasons why one would *not*
exist in this country though. not to be a naysayer, but:

1. Liability. If a patron ever gets injured by a cycle or waitperson
(only a matter of time), they'll have a hell of a time protecting
themselves.

2. Slippery floor. Ever notice how much slippery stuff can get on
restaurant floors? Bad for tires. Carpet would solve that, but unicycles
a) handle poorly on carpet and b) would tend to track spills and other
stuff around to good parts of the carpet.

3. Finding employees. Ever work as a waitperson? I haven't, but I've
seen what's involved in carrying large trays full of food around. You
could not have entry-level riders doing any part of the job in a crowded
restaurant. Restaurant turnover, I assume, is fairly high. Unicycling
waitpersons would have to be paid a premium to keep them around, which
would be reflected in food prices.

Bummer. It would sure be cool to eat there!

But you still have a chance. There is a restaurant somewhere in Thailand
(Bangkok?) that has unicycling chicken-catchers. I've seen this on TV so
I know it's real. I do not know if the place is still doing this though.
I think it's like a rotisserie cooking process. When your chicken is
done, it is catapulted into the air (the restaurant is open air), and
caught by a waiter on a unicycle. He retrieves the chickens on a silver
platter, and supposedly rides to your table with it. Happy chicken!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.