Pashley Sovereign in the USA?

Old September 12th 04, 11:23 AM
Eric S. Sande

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

That's great!

Although I find your writings a bit lacking in the action/adventure
vein, I do enjoy your spiritual take on things.

You are always a pleasure to read, try to get more actual blood and
guts into the story.

I remember your commute into the city with the compromised brake
wire, that had a degreee of suspense and anticipation that was
hard to beat.

And the ambiguous resolution was pure Zen.

I thought that was one of your most effective literary statements,
I'd like to see what other essay was better.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 12th 04, 03:06 PM
the black rose

Claire Petersky wrote:
"the black rose" wrote in message

Claire Petersky wrote:

[some free-form musings]

You've got the soul of a poet, Claire.

Thank you for saying so,

Yer welcome. :-)

Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

Which? When? Give us the details!

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 12th 04, 03:47 PM
Claire Petersky

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in message
Hey, did I tell everyone it looks like I'm going to get one of my essays
published in a literary magazine? Woo-hoo!

I remember your commute into the city with the compromised brake
wire, that had a degreee of suspense and anticipation that was
hard to beat.

And you were the one who never would have gotten into that situation -- you
would have noticed the frayed cable days before the ride ever happened.

And the ambiguous resolution was pure Zen.

D3 was the way I went.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 12th 04, 05:09 PM
Luigi de Guzman

the black rose wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
--snip--
There are always a bunch of BMX guys tricking in front of the skate shop
here in town. They're pretty neat.

I think it's pretty cool what these guys can do with those little bikes.
Once in a while, my 13-yr-old son tries to imitate them, with rather
messy results. I had to restock the first aid kid last time.

--snip--
To wander slightly off-topic, have you noticed that you've begun to
recognize all the *bicycles*, if not the cyclists, in your neighborhood?

This afternoon, the DH and I went out riding, and some guy in lycra
passed us. We kept tooling along. He passed us again.

*blink*

We never saw him at the side of the road or anything. I'm sure it was
the same guy. That was weird.

IF I had the skill, it would be amusing to attempt to construct a "light
heavyweight" roadster. Maybe a Reynolds 853 main triangle and fork, but
in
roadster lines. Or, for even more comedy value, how about a carbon-fiber
roadster frame? You wouldn't even have to paint it, and, if it held up
well to roadster use, it would definitely make me a carbon fiber
believer.

The thing that concerns me about carbon fiber is, I've heard that any
damage to the frame and it will deteriorate quickly from the point of
damage. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, it would
definitely put me off carbon fiber.

I was trying to launch a few roadster-based flights of fancy. Chalo's fancy
cruisers probably aren't used enough or roughly enough to scratch their
groovy paintjobs (not something I can say of any of my bicycles). So a CF
roadster would fit that category.

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

-km

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old September 12th 04, 07:20 PM
the black rose

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

Oooh, that is so cool.

If I get a separate bike for touring (DH and I are seriously considering
doing some loaded touring, maybe next summer, maybe the one after), I've
got just enough of the retrogrouch in me to be tempted by the Rivendell
Atlantis. Those are *pretty* bikes.

We found a T800 hiding in our LBS. It's been there a while and it's on
a good discount. And it fits DH, and he needs a new bike, and he wants
a tourer. Can you say, "Christmas present"? *grin*

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

*snorfle*

-km

Old September 12th 04, 11:53 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article _B_0d.1282$Xc.591@lakeread01,
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

the black rose wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

I haven't seen one up close and personal yet (chances of that are rare,
given where I live), but I think it's a pretty bike. But then, I favour
dark suits and sober* ties, too.

-Luigi

*the sobriety of the wearer, however, is not similarly guaranteed.

Beautiful bike. Sort of a perfect reinterpretation of the English
roadster but with 7 speeds and less weight.

That puts something to mind for me...I just picked up an AW hub attached
to a Phillips lady's frame. That, plus a nice old cro-moly MTB frame,
and I could really make a cheap fun town bike.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old September 12th 04, 11:58 PM
papercut

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message news:_B_0d.1282$Xc.591@lakeread01...

Probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about are the A.N.T.
roadsters:

http://www.antbikemike.com/Big%20Bik...onroadbig.html

Interestingly, I prefer the Major Taylor
http://www.antbikemike.com/antique.html
Love the sprocket and one piece crank on that. Perhaps this bike
harkens back to a time when the roadster and cantilever frame formed
separate branches on the evolutionary chain.

BTW, my experience with cruisers has been much different. In my area,
the cantilever frame is a serious mode of transportation. The LBS
sells some fancy ones, but the ones I see folks riding on are
typically well used. One, three and five speeds are very common. Like
it or not, they are pretty much the American roadster. And they are
very popular with the local college students, moreso than classic
roadsters, but less than *mart MTBs.

I think one reason they are so popular among practical riders is that
the curvy cantilever frame is a nice contrast to the diamond frame of
the roadster/"ten speed". Schwinn made many one, two, three and five
speed roadsters. But they were the kind of bikes for old people. And
"ten speeds" were for masochists. I can understand the criticism of
their being percieved as toys. But really, there are plenty of very
expensive road/MTBs that are basically toys for their owners. In the
mean time, regular folks just want something to ride that doesn't need
babying.
Old September 13th 04, 10:47 AM
Chalo

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Chalo wrote:

But the design intent of those bikes was for conditions in the USA of
the 1950s. At that time, you would have seen such bikes almost
exclusively.

Sure. What I want to know is when the cantilevered frame became *the* North
American bicycle, when there were so many production advantages to be had
from straight tubes.

You've got me there. They look nice, but I can't imagine why any
mass-market manufacturer would have gone to the trouble of making them
in the first place. Once they gained market traction, well, folks
demand what they are conditioned to want. Especially young folks.

There are always a bunch of BMX guys tricking in front of the skate shop
here in town. They're pretty neat.

My favorite to watch is "flatland" riding. It's like a form of
artistic dance, but the presence of a bike keeps me interested.

To wander slightly off-topic, have you noticed that you've begun to
recognize all the *bicycles*, if not the cyclists, in your neighborhood?

Only a few. There are a lot of cyclists in central Seattle. There is
no clear best route from my house to my work either, so I ride a
different variation almost every time. That and the fact that I leave
at a different time each day means that it's difficult to notice
patterns other than a few familiar faces, or bikes. There are a
couple who ride together on 27" bikes with North Road bars (might be
Raleighs), and I'd recognize them at a glance.

It's easier for me to identify the regular local dog-walkers by their
pooches.

see the same bunch of guys riding around town, and even if I don't know
them personally, I can recognize them by their bikes: The guy on the
Independent Fabrications bike; the guy on the Trek 2200, and so on.

To be honest, a bike would have to be pretty distinct for me to take
passing notice. I'm jaded enough to think of stock or stock-looking
late model bikes as mundane.

IF I had the skill, it would be amusing to attempt to construct a "light
heavyweight" roadster. Maybe a Reynolds 853 main triangle and fork, but in
roadster lines. Or, for even more comedy value, how about a carbon-fiber
roadster frame? You wouldn't even have to paint it, and, if it held up
well to roadster use, it would definitely make me a carbon fiber believer.

A five pound CFRP roadster frame would probably withstand anything a
mortal city rider could subject it to, short of being run over by a
car.

This bike may or may not be light by your standards, but it's pretty
nice:

http://www.encycleopedia.com/index.c...1&type=Product

Chalo Colina
Old September 13th 04, 10:55 AM
Chalo

the black rose wrote:

The thing that concerns me about carbon fiber is, I've heard that any
damage to the frame and it will deteriorate quickly from the point of
damage. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, it would
definitely put me off carbon fiber.

It shouldn't deteriorate from damage. Damage to the structural fibers
will simply lower the amount of load at which the frame will fail.
When carbon fiber composite fails, it breaks suddenly. That isn't
confidence inspiring, but it isn't due to progressive degradation
either.

Chalo Colina
Old September 27th 04, 08:49 PM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:

I also often see Dane J. of our newsgroup, too, coming the other way -- I
yelled at him just last week as he was coming up to Eastgate, but he was
oblivious (as usual :-) ).

Hey! I resemble that remark!

In my defense, Eastgate is pretty fuggin steep. I tend to be head down
cranking out the watts to attempt to get to work on time.

The rider I keep meaning to stop and say 'Hi' to is some fellow I pass
a couple times a week. He's one of the few people I see commuting on
his bike year round. He's an older guy usually wearing bright yellow
and/or reflective gear. We usually greet each other with a "Good
Morning" or "Good Evening" as appropriate, but haven't had a chance
to chat yet.

Still it's a nice plus to my commute ride when I can say hello.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95."