Shimano 8- 9- 10-speed compatibility?

Old June 11th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano 8- 9- 10-speed compatibility?

I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
this cassette with a 9-speed cassette? I checked the catalogs and I see
7/8-speed Shimano hubs, 8/9-speed Shimano hubs, and 8/9/10-speed Shimano
hubs...this is a bit confusing! :-)

Checking the Spinergy website, they discontinued the Rev-X in 1999. They say
that the Rev-X used an Ultegra 8-speed freehub body.
--
Thomas David Kehoe
Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com

Old June 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:13:23 -0600, Thomas David Kehoe
wrote:

I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
this cassette with a 9-speed cassette?

Yes. You can also use a 10-speed cassette.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old June 12th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thomas David Kehoe wrote:
I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
this cassette with a 9-speed cassette?

Yes, since Spinergy began, they were all, 8s HG, road or MTB, so they
are all hyperglide and shimano compatible...for 7/8 or 9s or even 10s,
if ya had 10s MTB shifters.

Old June 13th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:26:10 -0600, Thomas David Kehoe
wrote:

Could you explain that again, in full sentences? Are you saying that I could
put a 9-speed or 10-speed Shimano cassette onto this wheel? I tried putting
a 9-speed cassette on but the smallest cog didn't have enough "bite."

Aren't all 9 speed Shimano mounted with a retainer ring and not the cog?

Ron
Old June 13th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thomas David Kehoe wrote:
Could you explain that again, in full sentences? Are you saying that I could
put a 9-speed or 10-speed Shimano cassette onto this wheel? I tried putting
a 9-speed cassette on but the smallest cog didn't have enough "bite."

That wheel was made as a shimano hyperglide, 8s freehub body, to accept
a shimano 8s cogset. shimano 9s and 10s cogset spline pattern didn't
change so you can put a shimano 9s or 10s cogset onto that wheel.

--
Thomas David Kehoe
Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com
Not work: http://www.myspace.com/43380153

in article , Qui si
parla Campagnolo at

Old June 13th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Old June 14th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rear Mech Advice wanted Julesh UK 53 May 17th 06 10:12 AM
Dura Ace Triple RP10128 Techniques 17 March 31st 05 04:42 AM
Shimano 8 speed to 9 speed Paul Nevai Techniques 10 October 11th 04 06:18 AM
Making Campagnolo 9/10 Speed Rear Hub/Cassette Compatible with Dura-Ace 7 Speed rosco Techniques 6 March 19th 04 04:47 AM
FS Large list of parts and bikes Marketplace 0 October 28th 03 05:55 AM