nice encounter with a copper

Old November 18th 03, 12:10 PM
Robert Kercher

Default nice encounter with a copper

Yesterday night I was riding home in a *very* naughty
way - no light, girlfriend on handlebars....
Then we see this funny guy with the bobby hat
and the yellow jacket.
'Hi. we're in trouble, right?' Nope, it turns out that
I knew him from before - in fact over *one* year
ago he took details when my car was vandalized,
he still remembered me!! So this whole thing
turns into a friendly chat and totally
confuses me. Might have to change my attitude
towards the police even.
Anyway, I am very pleased by seeing a friendly
police officer, mind you, it might have something
to do with being in the UK, I always suspected
things work a little different here.

Cheers

--
You are either with me or against me
.....no, wait, I can handle someone
Old November 18th 03, 02:18 PM
Richard Adams

Police in the US have been vilified by the occasional bad behavior of a
few and the magnification of such events in entertainment. Get to know
your local police and you'll generally find they treat you better.

Old November 18th 03, 06:32 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Richard Adams" wrote in message

Police in the US have been vilified by the occasional bad behavior of a
few and the magnification of such events in entertainment. Get to know
your local police and you'll generally find they treat you better.

Get to know your local police, and you'll be more likely to appreciate and
respect them, and less likely to misbehave and incur their wrath. :-)

Matt O.

Old November 18th 03, 09:43 PM
Chalo

Richard Adams wrote:

Police in the US have been vilified by the occasional

Umm...occasional. Yeah, that's it.

bad behavior

Bad behavior? Not sure what you're talking about.

The acts I see by police that could be called "bad behavior", e.g.
using color of authority to avoid traffic tie-ups, hanging out &
goofing off on the public's time, mild sexual harassment, etc., are
not "occasional", but routine.

OTOH, things like unprosecuted murders of the
premeditated-with-malice-aforethought type are occasional. But I
would not categorize them as simply "bad behavior".

of a few

Seems like every time I've witnessed a _whole lot_ of cops in one
place, they were all actively curtailing or violating several of the
people's sovereign rights: speech, assembly, petition for redress of
grievances, and freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.

It seems that often, the more cops you get in one place, the worse
they behave-- that's surely evidence that the problem extends to more
than "a few". Either that, or it's some of the most colossally
ill-conceived public relations maneuvering ever.

Consider that when hundreds of cops act like abusive, disrespectful
jackasses towards tens of thousands of the most publically aware
citizens, it makes a deeper and more telling impression than when one
cop at a time acts like a normal decent human being in an ordinary
situation. If cops want the public to respect them, they are going to
have to act respectably, even-- especially-- when it's hard for them
to do.

As it is, the police have blown it so bad, the only folks I know who
aren't generally contemptuous of cops are those who have negligible
experience with them.

Get to know
your local police and you'll generally find they treat you better.

Get to know your local burglar and he might spare your house, too-- so
what? Cops have a duty to citizens but not the other way around. If
a cop wants a person's respect, he can earn it like anyone else. But
nobody owes it to him just because he's a cop.

Chalo Colina
Old November 19th 03, 10:50 PM
GWB

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Police in the US have been vilified by the occasional bad behavior of a
few and the magnification of such events in entertainment. Get to know
your local police and you'll generally find they treat you better.

Like this:
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/11/274967.shtml
http://ftaaimc.org/en/2003/11/700.shtml
http://ftaaimc.org/en/2003/11/902.shtml