The bicycle department at Wal-Mart

Old September 4th 05, 05:09 PM
Ken M

Default The bicycle department at Wal-Mart

I went to the local Wal-Mart last night with my brother who need
another bike, he goes through them like I go through a box of Kleenex,
but anyway we got to the section and what a mess! Looks like they were
really busy! And there were a bunch of people waiting for help. Must be
the $2.99 a gallon gas. But we waited and waited and looked and looked
some more. Well I finally got to see a ' GMC Denali ' up close, what a
strange mix of components. In case you haven't seen one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046 What
really looks strange is the twist shifters that are more common on
MTB's. And the seat stay contruction looks a bit wierd too. But I like
the 700c wheels and tires, but would rather have a touring type tire
for city riding. But it is a road bike. It was the last one they had in
stock. Call it the Lance effect.

Ken

Old September 4th 05, 06:13 PM
Dave Vandervies

In article om,
Ken M wrote:
I went to the local Wal-Mart last night with my brother who need
another bike, he goes through them like I go through a box of Kleenex,

That might change if he bought them somewhere where they actually sell
decent-quality ones.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies
[T]hat's not "helping darwin more". Reason being, the SUVs don't kill on a
Old September 4th 05, 06:28 PM
Ken M

Ken M wrote:
I went to the local Wal-Mart last night with my brother who need
another bike, he goes through them like I go through a box of Kleenex,

That might change if he bought them somewhere where they actually sell
decent-quality ones.

dave

** I agree with you 100% but I can't get him to understand about
quality.

Ken

Old September 4th 05, 07:11 PM
Mike Kruger

"Ken M" wrote in message
ps.com...
... Well I finally got to see a ' GMC Denali ' up close, what a
strange mix of components. In case you haven't seen one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046 What
really looks strange is the twist shifters that are more common on
MTB's. And the seat stay contruction looks a bit wierd too. But I like
the 700c wheels and tires, but would rather have a touring type tire
for city riding. But it is a road bike.

I checked the pictures, but can't see where the twist shifters are. Is there
a sort of additional piece of "handlebar" that sticks out to the left and
right? That would make it hard to ride on the hoods.

Old September 4th 05, 07:18 PM
Ken M

"Ken M" wrote in message

ps.com...

... Well I finally got to see a ' GMC Denali ' up close, what a
strange mix of components. In case you haven't seen one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046 What
really looks strange is the twist shifters that are more common on
MTB's. And the seat stay contruction looks a bit wierd too. But I like
the 700c wheels and tires, but would rather have a touring type tire
for city riding. But it is a road bike.

I checked the pictures, but can't see where the twist shifters are. Is
there
a sort of additional piece of "handlebar" that sticks out to the left
and
right? That would make it hard to ride on the hoods

** Yeah that would make it difficult, but no the twist shifts are on
the handlebars next to the stem. On the ' bar top' position.

Ken

Old September 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Gooserider

"Ken M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken M wrote:
I went to the local Wal-Mart last night with my brother who need
another bike, he goes through them like I go through a box of Kleenex,

That might change if he bought them somewhere where they actually sell
decent-quality ones.

dave

** I agree with you 100% but I can't get him to understand about
quality.

Ken

Ever let him ride one of yours? A friend of mine was set on buying a Schwinn
MTB at WalMart, until I let him ride my MTB. I have a Supergo Access frame
with ancient STX RC components. He remarked at how light it was and how fast
it accelerated. He ended up buying an entry level Trek MTB that he put
slicks on. Nice choice.

Old September 5th 05, 05:19 AM
Ravi

Ken M wrote:

I went to the local Wal-Mart last night with my brother who need
another bike, he goes through them like I go through a box of Kleenex,
but anyway we got to the section and what a mess! Looks like they were
really busy! And there were a bunch of people waiting for help. Must be
the $2.99 a gallon gas. But we waited and waited and looked and looked
some more. Well I finally got to see a ' GMC Denali ' up close, what a
strange mix of components. In case you haven't seen one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046 What

its a 57cm Frame. Do they mean to say 'one size fits all' ?? better to
say they do not care about 'fit'. These are grip shifters right ?? if so
you gotto be on the 'bar top' to make any gear changes. and the funny
thing is 'Bike Type: Mountain'. If i take this on a single track and
fall, can i sue *Mart for $10 million ? hey you called it Mtn. bike !!!

+ravi
(c) if you do get take this idea and get yourself $10 million, please
atleast buy me a new LBS bike.