Bicycle accident = glad i had my Helmet on this time

Old August 5th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Bicycle accident = glad i had my Helmet on this time

Hi there.

Well, after over fifty years of bicycling I had an accident where my
head struck the pavement. It was really weird; the front wheel went
over some loose sand and then was deflected to theright by a raised
straight-line section of asphalt. It was like the bicycle was thrown
to the right. I landed on my right hip and upper rear shoulder. They
both got scraped quite badly and the left elbow was also scraped a
bit. The speed of the bicycle at the time was just over thirty-five
kilometers per hour. The force of the impact had to be greater than
that due to the way the bicycle went sideways thus giving more
velocity to the downward speed of my upper body and head - much like
the top of a vertical pencil does if you flick out the bottom of it
with your finger.

I was glad I was wearing my helmet on this ride because my head struck
the pavement with a great deal of forced right where the temple is.
Considering the speed and force of the impact onto the pavement there
is no way that I could have prevented my bare head from hitting that
pavement. One of the first things i learned in unarmed combat is that
it does *NOT take much of a blow to the temple to cause death. There
is absolutely *NO* way that the extra inch or so of space that I would
have had without the helmet would have been sufficient to have allowed
me to keep my head from severely impacting the asphalt right on my
temple.

Helmets can not protect from every type of impact but I truly believe
that this time was one of the times when a helmet was beneficial.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 5th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

The helmet gods have smiled on you. You must now state that your
helmet saved your life at every opportunity

Old August 5th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:
[...]

Sometimes a helmet helps and other times it doesn't. I have read of
accidents where two cyclist have gone down and the helmeted rider died
whilst the unhelmeted rider walked away. In my particular case I know
that the impact of my head with the road was very severe.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 5th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 5, 1:37*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Since fewer than 1% of America's head injury fatalities are bike-
related, it's time to start collecting such stories on the other 99%.
We should publish them enthusiastically. Why, if only _one_ dog-
walker could be saved...

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 5th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Must be a long, long time since you last took a holiday from being a
jerk, Franki. It shows.

As does you peasant manners. Doesn't it even occur to you to
congratulate Peter on his survival? Or to commiserate with his
injuries?

What a nasty piece of **** you are.

Unsigned out of contempt
Old August 5th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 5, 3:12*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on your survival, Peter.

I have no difficulty believing that your helmet very likely saved your
life. That's the main thing.

But, since the anti-helmet brigade have already turned a thread that
should have been a celebration into a sewer, perhaps it is time
sometime competent with the numbers took an interest; the last time I
took an interest, I discovered Krygowski spouting gross inaccuracies
about how safe bicycling is (he abused people for saying it wasn't
safe, then *underestimated* how safe it is!).

Even if the helmet saved you only a few scrapes on the face, right
there the helmet earned its keep and repaid all the inconvenience of
wearing a helmet for half a century; imagine if the "superficial"
damage to your face was bad enough to require plastic surgery, or even
just stitches. That, as you say, the helmet saved you from a damaging,
possibly terminal bang on the temple is superb.

I got blown off my bike by a freak gust of wind onto a hard road and
was bruised from just above the knee to the shoulder. At first I was
very ****ed off at the unsympathetic attitude of my physician but when
I braced him with it, he said, 'Hey, you walked in here, didn't you?'
He explained that he knew I didn't break a hip, which is very serious
business. Laughter too is good medicine... Gesundheit! Besides the
normal antibiotics, I find anti-inflammatories (Iboprufen is good)
excellent for keeping the pain down, and a sleeping pill for the first
night or two good for relaxing the sore muscles which promotes faster
healing.

Hope to see you riding again soon.

Andre Jute
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live -- Mark Twain

Old August 5th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 5, 4:54*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Hey there Andre.

Thanks for the good wishes. If I had only struck my face I wouldn't
have been so glad I had the helmet on. The area of my helmet that
struck the payment was the section over my left *TEMPLE* not the face.
Even had I not been wearing a helmet that temple still would have
struck the payment just because of the sheer velocity of the fall and
the force with which my helmeted head did strike the pavement. Yes,
this was one time when a helmet was useful. There is no doubt that
given the force of the impact that the blow to the temple would have
been fatal to an unprotected head.

I was bruised and scraped but was able to complete that section of the
ride which was a 50 kilometers loop and I'm still able to ride. I have
quite a high tolerance to pain. I have sleep disorders and thus am not
allowed to take any sleep aids whatsoever as I'd most likely not wake
up.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 5th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Dear Frank,

No helmet, but somehow it seems important for bicyclists to see it:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1ba...mini-golf-fail

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 6th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

His head of hair saved his life!

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 6th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Screw the dog walkers. They're the people causing me grief -- but I
guess that is the falacy of "mixed use" trails. -- Jay Beattie.

Glad I was wearing a helmet Wheel Rider Unicycling 4 January 4th 09 07:26 AM
Fatal bicycle accident G.T. Techniques 1 April 11th 06 03:04 AM
Bicycle may have caused SUV accident LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m Social Issues 0 February 8th 05 07:38 AM
bicycle accident insurance? Yuri Budilov Australia 4 January 16th 05 12:02 AM
Accident prone pro-helmet sock puppets Dave Kahn UK 2 November 14th 03 11:47 PM