The worlds toughest MUni race?

Old January 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
GizmoDuck

Default The worlds toughest MUni race?

I just thought I'd try to drum up some more interest from NZ and also
overseas in doing the Karapoti Classic this year. It's only 2 months
away, on Sunday March 7th 2004.

This is a 50km Mountainbike race that rates as one of the top 25 MTB
race courses according to Velonews. It is also the first mountainbike
race in NZ to have a separate MUni category. I don't think there are
any other 50km MUni races (correct me if I'm wrong), so that makes it
the toughest MUni race there is.

A 24hr solo race might be more demanding, but I have yet to see any with
a special category for unicycles, so I wouln't consider them to be MUni
races.

Anyway, heres the link:
'The Karapoti Classic'
(http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/karapoti/categories.html)

And story and pics from last year:
'Karapoti 2003' (http://tinyurl.com/2qqag)

To all the NZ unicyclists- this is THE race to be in. It is a lot of
fun and there are some great prizes. I hope that the unicycle category
becomes permanent and grows in the future, and we need your support to
maintain this.

Seeya all there!

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

I am just a figment of your imagination.

Old January 3rd 04, 11:52 PM
andrew_carter

If I can get a return ticket for under $200 I might be able to join you
all. I'm waiting to see if the rumours are true that Virgin Airlines
are about to offer really cheap flights to NZ.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old January 4th 04, 06:51 AM
TonyMelton

What about my entry fee, Ken? I'm also in Brisbane!!

I did this race last year on my 24" MUni and it took me nearly 6 hours.
I think I'll use my 29er or Coker this year. For those who don't want
to ride the full 50km there is a 20km race as well, which several
unicyclists did last year.

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old January 4th 04, 10:39 AM
GizmoDuck

TonyMelton wrote:
*What about my entry fee, Ken? I'm also in Brisbane!!
*

Nice try! But I'm sure we can put a roof over your head and feed you.

--
GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

o-kO

"She's not qualified to stitch wounds, and there are no doctors in, so I
then drive 25 odd miles to Nottingham's main hospital and wait for
several hours before an even nicer nurse applies seven stitches."

Mikefule: advocating full face helmets

Old January 4th 04, 11:30 PM
MUNIYETI

GizmoD, in winter time (here in the USofA )my ambitions seem to far
exceed my abilities and I am considering an Endurance race or two this
summer on the MUni (50k's)...I was wondering if you could give me any
hints, tips, suggestions, on MUni set-up, what to carry with you, what
to wear (pads?), how often you walk/rest , etc...... I have ridden a few
Mtb Metric Centuries so I am not totally clueless, but I think maybe
input from someone who has done distance MUni would be helpful

--
MUNIYETI - The Abominable MUnicyclist
MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183