Private members bill on cycle helmet compulsion.

Old December 21st 03, 12:43 PM
Mike Sales

Default Private members bill on cycle helmet compulsion.

Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the lottery
for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a BeHIT Bill
making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

Mike Sales

Old December 21st 03, 01:50 PM
Ian

Mike Sales scribed with passion and wit:

Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the lottery
for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a BeHIT Bill
making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

Mike Sales

For the avoidance of doubt, despite my pro-helmet stance, I have written to
my M.P. stating my objection to this bill on the grounds of the false
information used to support it, but stating that I would be prepared to
support this bill if real information was used and if it included a fully
researched minimum standards policy for helmet manufacture based on proper
development rather that whacking the helmet with a bronze ball.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old December 21st 03, 06:25 PM
Saintlykeyna

hmm - I think locking up kids for not wearing a helmet when they are cycling
out and about with their mates is a total non-starter.
Old December 21st 03, 07:32 PM
Paul - xxx

Ian posted ...

Mike Sales scribed with passion and wit:

Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the
lottery for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a
BeHIT Bill making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

Mike Sales

For the avoidance of doubt, despite my pro-helmet stance, I have
written to my M.P. stating my objection to this bill on the grounds
of the false information used to support it, but stating that I would
be prepared to support this bill if real information was used and if
it included a fully researched minimum standards policy for helmet
manufacture based on proper development rather that whacking the
helmet with a bronze ball.

Nice, well-reasoned arguments ... ~

But if kids can already get away with all manner of much more serious crimes
then I fear that any legislation would be unworkable in practice.

But I reckon it's stil worth doing what we can to 'block' the bill, as it
would be a 'toe in the door' to allow further legislation through ..

--
Paul

Old December 21st 03, 07:51 PM
[Not Responding]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:52:33 +0000, "A.lee"
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:43:46 +0000, Mike Sales wrote:

Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the lottery
for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a BeHIT Bill
making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

And it'll have no chance of succeeding as there will be very limited time
in this Parliament for any new legislation, never mind a contentious bill
like this.
Alan.

indeed. but if there is no preceived opposition to the idea then it'll
make it much more likely a bill with more chance of implementation
will surface in the future.

if we ever do get such a law it'll kill dead any idea of cycling as a
day-to-day means of transport.

get writing.

Old December 21st 03, 08:02 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:32:31 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

But if kids can already get away with all manner of much more serious crimes
then I fear that any legislation would be unworkable in practice.

I reckon it would be unworkable because 90% of child cyclists' head
injury accidents happen off road. Unless the bill covers riding on
private land (which would make it one of the most intrusive pieces of
legislation on the books - after all, we're not required to wear
protective equipment when doing DIY) it can't even begin to scratch
the surface.

But I reckon it's stil worth doing what we can to 'block' the bill, as it
would be a 'toe in the door' to allow further legislation through ..

Worse, it would give the insurance companies something tangible to use
in their attempts to claim contributory negligence when a cager kills
or injures one of us and we're not wearing a plastic hat. Even if we
are, they may assert that the "need" for a plastic hat implies that we
are aware that cycling is uniquely dangerous and therefore must bear
some responsibility. It would set a dangerous precedent. Luckily it
is almost certain to fail.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 21st 03, 08:18 PM
Tony Raven

Ian wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, despite my pro-helmet stance, I have written to
my M.P. stating my objection to this bill on the grounds of the false
information used to support it, but stating that I would be prepared to
support this bill if real information was used and if it included a fully
researched minimum standards policy for helmet manufacture based on proper
development rather that whacking the helmet with a bronze ball.

I've written to my MP pointing out the false information and suggesting that
it, and BHIT who are providing it, should not be allowed to inform
legislation.

Tony

Old December 21st 03, 09:36 PM
Ian

Saintlykeyna scribed with passion and wit:

hmm - I think locking up kids for not wearing a helmet when they are cycling
out and about with their mates is a total non-starter.

I think you will find the penalty was six strokes of the birch.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old December 21st 03, 09:41 PM
Richard Burton

"Mike Sales" wrote in message
et...
Eric Martlew, Labour M.P. for Carlisle has won seventh place in the

lottery
for Private Members Bills and is putting before Parliament a BeHIT Bill
making cycle helmets compulsory for children under 16.
See
http://www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/latest/latest.html#bill

Mike Sales

without wishing to cast doubt on the report, I've just looked up Mr Martlew
MP and his EDMs, and there isn't one about cycle helmets. Can someone
enlighten please?