upgrade your Coker at local bike shop?

Old June 10th 05, 02:56 AM
leadpan

Default upgrade your Coker at local bike shop?

Not too long ago John Childs said,"The trick is finding a good local
wheel builder."
I understand most shops don't have the necessary equipments.
I know several local bike shops; would it be wise for me to even
approach them if they can handle such big wheel?
Has anyone found a local bike shop guy who can actually
build/upgrade/fix your Coker?

--
leadpan - OC Cokeur
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old June 10th 05, 03:41 AM
heavy metal unicycling

I am also thinking about finding a wheelbuilder, but I don't expect
much.

--
heavy metal unicycling - Loveland Unicycling Club

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, "shoot me," they're
just not being verbally expressive enough.
-harper
heavy metal unicycling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9857

Old June 10th 05, 05:20 AM
The Yang

A guy at my LBS built my coker wheel. I gathered from some remarks made
that it was a long annoying process, but it was done

--
The Yang - Everything with practice

"Dude, I once saw a unicycle breastfeed a flamingo back to health"
-Random drunk rantings of a drunk man

The Yang's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9517

Old June 10th 05, 05:40 AM
bugman

The Yang wrote:
*A guy at my LBS built my coker wheel. I gathered from some remarks
made that it was a long annoying process, but it was done *

How long?

--
bugman

Old June 10th 05, 06:11 AM
john_childs

leadpan wrote:
*Not too long ago John Childs said,"The trick is finding a good local
wheel builder."
I understand most shops don't have the necessary equipments.
I know several local bike shops; would it be wise for me to even
approach them if they can handle such big wheel?
Has anyone found a local bike shop guy who can actually
build/upgrade/fix your Coker? *

Ask around to find out where the local freeriders go to get their wheels
built. There's should be a couple bike shops around that are known for
their wheel building. Those are the ones you want to ask. Then ask if
they'd be willing to build a big wheel. Some will be excited about
doing something new and others will say no way. Generally it will
probably be the smaller shops that will be more open to building an
unusual wheel.

The two local shops that I liked for wheel building have both closed in
the last year or two. Bad luck for me. I'm now on my third bike shop.
I hope I don't jinx them too.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr)

Old June 10th 05, 06:42 AM
daino149

I may be getting my Coker wheel built at my LBS. I mentioned that I
wanted to get my spokes from the unicycle factory, but they said to get
it from Phil Wood instead. Do any of you have experience with Phil's
spokes? Also, what price is reasonable for a build? The shop wants to
charge me $50.

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE

Old June 10th 05, 12:41 PM
markf

$50 for 36 incredibly long spokes? sounds more than fair.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old June 10th 05, 01:00 PM
kington99

I got my 24" Muni built at the LBS, it wouldnt fit in their stand
because of the width of the KH hub so they built it by eye then put it
in my frame to spin it and check it ran true, you might be able to use
this approach, and normally it's £25 over here so $50 seems reasonable,
especialy as it's far from a normal build.

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave

Old June 10th 05, 01:07 PM
DarkTom

I took a 20" rim/hub to a bike shop and the guy took 3 weeks to do it
with me phoning him every other day to check on progress. When it was
finally done he said he would never have started it had he known what
was involved and also said that I couldn't bring it back to him cos he
wouldn't fix it again.

It broke, I took it to the bmx shop, they have a wheelbuilder who comes
in once a week, he saw the uni wheel sitting waiting, got all excited
saying "I've been dying to do one of those!" and put it to the top of
his list and did it in 3 days! And it's still like new!!

I guess it just depends on the shop/staff.

T.

--
DarkTom - Off the wheel again!

Why do bones break so easily? It seems its because I don't know how
to fall properly!
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Old June 10th 05, 01:18 PM
U-Turn

PM or email me if you want for a quote; I do this stuff all the time and
have special tools for it. If no custom parts are necessary, the
turn-around time is not bad at all.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
former bike shop Claire Petersky General 46 June 5th 04 03:23 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Ordering a Trek 5200 Jason Spaceman Techniques 106 September 26th 03 10:42 PM