Order of skills

Old October 14th 03, 11:18 PM
glopal

Default Order of skills

This thread has probally been done already, but anyways...

In what order did you learn the following skills..

Forward riding
Backwards riding
Hopping seat in
Riding seat out
Hopping seat out
Idling
Wheel walking
One footed WW
seat drag

If anyone wants to add more go right ahead, as for me..

Forward Riding
Hopping seat in
idling

And i cant do anymore, except a bit of backwards riding

--
glopal - Mike Menzies
glopal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3872

Old October 14th 03, 11:19 PM
glopal

Opps, and also freemounts

Old October 15th 03, 02:35 AM
hopeful

forward riding
seat drag
freemount (giraffe)
stairs (down)
jump roping
riding with umbrella (harder than it looks, actually)
freemount (standard)
hopping
idling
riding seat in front
riding backwards

--
hopeful - Street Performer
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Old October 15th 03, 09:57 PM
duaner

My learning order to date

Forward riding
Idling
Backwards riding
Idling 1 foot
Hopping seat in
Riding seat out

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old October 15th 03, 10:03 PM
unisteve

1. Riding
2. Free mounting (I've learned some cooler mounts since first learning
to free mount.)
3. Hopping (usually seat-in)
4. Crank grabbing
5. 180's and some 360's
6. One-footed riding

I don't think there should be any magical "this order is the best to
learn" or anything like that. I just learned how to ride and learned
new skills as I became limited from my then-current set of skills or
when I just wanted to learn to do something cooler. (Such as one-footed
riding.)

--
unisteve - computer overclocker

"I live on the edge. Sometimes I fall off."

"The saying, 'It's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game'
was perpetuated by losers."
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

Old October 15th 03, 10:56 PM
Mikefule

Yes, this thread has been done before, but it's still interesting.

It depends on what you want to achieve in unicycling. Any skill that
you learn will make you a better rider, and the improvement will affect
your riding to some extent. however, some skills are more relevant than
others.

Any unicyclist intending to take the sport further than riding down the
garden path to impress the neighbours NEEDS the following core skills:
Freemount
Ride forwards
Turn right and left
Dismount under control.

Learned more or less in that order.

Then if you want to go that bit further, learn:
To idle
To reverse short distances
Slow riding

Then you can add hopping, seat in.

After that, most skills are either 'for show' or 'a feeling of
achievement', but have little or no direct practical benefit.

Exceptions are hopping/jumping with the seat out, and riding seat out in
front, because these open up possibilities in MUni and trials.

But things like wheel walking etc, and 'trick mounts', are freestyle
moves. If you want to develop your freestyle, I guess the easy answer
is to work through the Skill Levels, which are more or less graded in
order of difficulty. Individual riders will vary in how quickly they
learn certain skills, though.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Freedom's just another word for nothing much to lose. Nothing ain't
worth nothing, but it's free.

Old October 16th 03, 04:49 AM
Ken Fuchs

glopal wrote:

In what order did you learn the following skills..

I'd reordered them in the order I recall learning the skill.
(Warning: The order is skewed due to many of these skills not being even
conceived by more than a few people or even considered possible such as
coasting.) I've also added what I personally considered important
skills with the understanding that other unicyclists may not agree.
(Warning: The last two skills should be done in a lotus position.)

Forward riding

Mount
Backward riding
Idling

Touch the floor
Forward one foot
Forward spin
Backspin
Front spin
Backward one foot
Rolling mount [the standard mount for a 40" or larger big wheel]
Hopping seat in (Hopping)

Side mount
Jump mount
Free jump mount
Riding seat out (Forward riding seat in front)

Forward riding seat in back
Wheel walking (Forward wheel walking)
One footed WW (Forward wheel walking one foot)

Backward wheel walking
Backward wheel walking one foot
Wheel walk hopping
Stillstand
Twisting
Side mount reverse
Side jump mount
Kick up mount
Forward gliding
Forward side ride
Idling seat in front
Backward riding seat in front
Idling seat in back
Backward riding seat in back
Hoptwisting
Hoptwist 180
Forward spin seat in front
Forward spin seat in back
Hopping on wheel
Hoptwist on wheel
Forward seat in front one foot
Backward spin
Forward pirouette
Forward wheel walk frame between feet
Backward wheel walk frame between feet
Backward wheel walk feet behind frame
Backward spoke walk
Koosh koosh
Forward hand wheel walk
Forward hand wheel walk one hand
Forward seat at side
Idling seat at side
Backward seat at side
Crank idle
Hopping seat out (Hopping seat in front)

Sideways wheel walk
seat drag (Drag seat in front)

Drag seat in back
Forward coasting leg extended
Forward coasting feet on frame
Backward coasting leg extended
Backward coasting feet on frame
Forward coasting feet on seat
Backward coasting feet on seat

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
Old October 16th 03, 01:03 PM
Memphis Mud

riding forward
turning left/right
freemount standard
ride off curb

(29 yrs passes, Join Memphis Unicycle Club)

Hop
Hop up curb (var.: hop up steps 1 @ time, until exhausted--7 +/- )
freemount 5' Giraffe
idle dominant foot down
idle other foot down
backwards
180 jump/spin (actually nearer 245 max)
gap leaping (level distance approx 2 feet)
one foot idle dominant foot down
crappily ride stomach on seat
drop (highest successful now @ 30")
drop 25 pounds

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old October 19th 03, 06:36 AM
muniracer

forwards
mount
one foot
hop
idle
backwards
idle (other foot)
seat out hop
suicide mount and other mounts
touch ground
one foot idle

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339