Amy Gillett Safe Cycling Foundation - Husband asks cycling legend to lend a hand

Old September 16th 05, 04:24 AM
cfsmtb

Default Amy Gillett Safe Cycling Foundation - Husband asks cycling legend to lend a hand

Amy Gillett Safe Cycling Foundation - Husband asks cycling legend to
lend a hand
http://tinyurl.com/a7yqq

SIMON Gillett says he is optimistic that seven-time Tour de France
winner Lance Armstrong will agree to fly to Australia later this year
to launch the Amy Gillett Safe Cycling Foundation.

As donations to the foundation approach $150,000, Mr Gillett has made a
bold move to secure the services of cycling legend Mr Armstrong.

Mr Gillett, from Buninyong, established the foundation in memory of his
late wife Amy, who was killed in a training accident in Germany on July
18.

Amy, 29, was training with five other members of the Australian cycling
team when a teenage driver lost control of her car and ploughed into the
group.

Amy's five team-mates, Alexis Rhodes, 20, Louise Yaxley, 23, Katie
Brown, 21, Lorian Graham, 27, and Kate Nichols, 20, are all going
through a lengthy process of recovery.

The foundation has raised $144,000 in the two months since the
accident, including a $50,000 donation from the South Australian
Government.

Mr Gillett said he was not surprised by the early fundraising success
and was optimistic that Mr Armstrong would agree to officially launch
the foundation.

"I'm aiming to raise $1 million in the first year and I'd like to see
the first scholarships start early next year," Mr Gillett said.

"I also want to sit down with the TAC and work on a hard-hitting safety
awareness campaign which will really make a difference.

"I've asked Lance Armstrong about coming over to launch the foundation
but he said he won't make a firm decision until the press pack dies
down in France.

"Let's just say he hasn't said no yet and I'm optimistic that we have a
chance of flying him over."

The aims of the Amy Gillett Safe Cycling Foundation are three-fold: to
provide support for the rehabilitation of Amy's five injured
team-mates, to fund a scholarship program for young women cyclists, and
to promote projects imed at raising road-safety awareness amongst
cyclists and motorists.

--
cfsmtb

Old September 16th 05, 06:25 AM