A long shot - opening up a Smart Polaris light?

Old November 14th 10, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Default A long shot - opening up a Smart Polaris light?

Hi all,

I have an aged Smart Polaris 5-LED headlamp:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ii-5-led-32399

The switch is broken; the light is currently off, and i can't switch it
on. The switch has been getting gammy for a few months, having trouble
changing mode when i pressed it, but at least when it was stuck in the on
position, i could switch the thing off and on by removing and replacing
the batteries, so it was still useful. Not so much now.

I've already ordered a replacement, but i'd love to have a go at fixing
this one, or at least seeing if i can see what the problem is. However, i
can't figure out how to get the thing open to get at the worky bits. I can
screw the lamp unit off the battery case (that's how you change the
batteries, after all), but i can't see how to get the lamp open. Has
anyone ever done this? Or does anyone have any bright ideas of what i
should try?

My best best to far is to jam a screwdriver in one of the cracks between
different mouldings and lever away. I might break it, but given that it's
already broken ...

tom

--
Ten years on, and there is still nothing like this bizarre tale of
biomechanical space madness.
Old November 14th 10, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:08:47 +0000
Tom Anderson wrote:

Hi all,

I have an aged Smart Polaris 5-LED headlamp:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ii-5-led-32399

The switch is broken; the light is currently off, and i can't switch
it on. The switch has been getting gammy for a few months, having
trouble changing mode when i pressed it, but at least when it was
stuck in the on position, i could switch the thing off and on by
removing and replacing the batteries, so it was still useful. Not so
much now.

It might be worth trying to remove the rubber switch cover before you
have ago at cracking the case, which is quite likely to be very
thoroughly glued. If you can get the rubber off easily then just
exercising the switch, maybe flushing it with switch cleaner, lighter
fluid or similar, could be enough to restore it.

Initial report: Polaris L120W front LED light Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 8 July 28th 09 03:17 PM
Smart light spares Marc UK 0 August 8th 06 09:57 PM
Scott CR1: Smart Light or Stupid Light PanFan Techniques 10 August 18th 05 03:31 AM
Smart 1 watt LED front light Chris Malcolm UK 29 January 23rd 05 03:12 AM
RR: North Yorks Polaris (long) Huw Pritchard Mountain Biking 12 July 22nd 03 08:36 AM