Me and my bride

Old September 15th 11, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Me and my bride

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:57:15 +0100
JNugent wrote:

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can
live with "my bride and me".

No, "my bride and me"[1] is correct despite many people's insistence
otherwise. If you're unsure just remove the other person - is it a
picture of "I" or "me"?

[1] "me and my bride" is just fine too, but it's considered polite to
put the other person first.

Old September 15th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 15/09/2011 18:10, Rob Morley wrote:

wrote:

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can
live with "my bride and me".

No, "my bride and me"[1] is correct despite many people's insistence
otherwise. If you're unsure just remove the other person - is it a
picture of "I" or "me"?

You're giving the answer to a different question.

[1] "me and my bride" is just fine too, but it's considered polite to
put the other person first.

Precisely.
Old September 15th 11, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:33:54 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:55:48 +0100, "Mr. Benn"
wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

Oh dear. Very sad.

But congratulations anyway Tom. Hope it all went well.

Why thank you Mr Benn. It means much that while you may have antipathy
towards cyclists, you can respect a happy moment.

He can't. His initial comment was "how sad" - inappropriate on many
levels not least the fact that everybody in the picture was clearly
anything but.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old September 15th 11, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

wrote:

On 14/09/2011 20:50, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

"You" and your bride?

My bride and me, if you prefer, but although more correct that way
around it somehow doesn't sound as poetic.

OK.

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can live
with "my bride and me".

You would say "This is me", not "This is I", so "This is my bride and
me" is correct, *not* "This is my bride and I"; thus "My bride and me"
is correct, *not* "My bride and I".

Congratulations, BTW.

Old September 15th 11, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

"You" and your bride?

My bride and me, if you prefer, but although more correct that way
around it somehow doesn't sound as poetic.

OK.

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can live
with "my bride and me".

You would say "This is me", not "This is I", so "This is my bride and
me" is correct, *not* "This is my bride and I"; thus "My bride and me"
is correct, *not* "My bride and I".

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThisIsMeOrThisIsI/vwmh/post.htm

Congratulations, BTW.

Old September 15th 11, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

"You" and your bride?

My bride and me, if you prefer, but although more correct that way
around it somehow doesn't sound as poetic.

OK.

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can live
with "my bride and me".

You would say "This is me", not "This is I", so "This is my bride and
me" is correct, *not* "This is my bride and I"; thus "My bride and me"
is correct, *not* "My bride and I".

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThisIsMeOrThisIsI/vwmh/post.htm

Ah ha. A web forum - it must therefore be correct.

Do you say, "This is we", or "This is us"?

Congratulations, BTW.

Old September 15th 11, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:52*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 05:20:57 +0100, (Roger Merriman)
wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

looks like you two had a fun day, all the best.

It was some time ago now, 23 July. We are now enjoying our new home
together, which we moved into the day we returned from Honeymoon - 13
August.

Work on the bike shed should start the week after next.

Make sure it has a secure door and a strong lock.

Then you can bung the wife in it when she gets on your wick.

Only kidding, congratulations, and an my compliments on an excellent
carriage!

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in
Old September 15th 11, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

looks like you two had a fun day, all the best.

It was some time ago now, 23 July. We are now enjoying our new home
together, which we moved into the day we returned from Honeymoon - 13
August.

Work on the bike shed should start the week after next.

have fun making the nest!

I was over your way a few weeks back up over Blackheath hill greenwich
park etc.

lovely sunny day and nice views.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 15th 11, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

JNugent wrote:

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThisIsMeOrThisIsI/vwmh/post.htm

Which bit of that morass of confusion and misinformation was it that
particularly appealed to you?

Old September 16th 11, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/wedding

"You" and your bride?

My bride and me, if you prefer, but although more correct that way
around it somehow doesn't sound as poetic.

OK.

"My bride and I" would be the more formal standard English, but I can live
with "my bride and me".

You would say "This is me", not "This is I", so "This is my bride and
me" is correct, *not* "This is my bride and I"; thus "My bride and me"
is correct, *not* "My bride and I".

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThisIsMeOrThisIsI/vwmh/post.htm

Ah ha. A web forum - it must therefore be correct.

Do you say, "This is we", or "This is us"?

The issue is which is correct, not which is more popularly used (still less
is it what I would say).

Congratulations, BTW.