Tyre pump

Old December 31st 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterL

Default Tyre pump

Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably with a
gauge and target price around £25?

I have a Trek 1.5 alpha and my wife a Trek 2.0 pilot

Thanks

Old December 31st 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, PeterL wrote:
Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably
with a gauge and target price around £25?

Topeak Joe Blow Sport.

Decent quality, serviceable valves and innards (if you can find a shop
which does teh spares, but last I needed one Halfords did).

Twinhead, which means you don't need adaptors for any type of valve,
without teh complexity of auto-adjusting heads (which add cost, and I
don't trust them, though without any good reason).

Probably in reality slightl;y above your budget - supposedly 26 or so
on line, but probably a touch over 30 quid by the time you've paid
postage or found it in a real shop. Good though.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old December 31st 10, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 31/12/2010 17:01, PeterL wrote:

Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably with a
gauge and target price around £25?

I have a Trek 1.5 alpha and my wife a Trek 2.0 pilot

Thanks

A framefit pump such as Zefal Hpx. Make sure you get the right size for
your bike frame. Probably worth getting one for each bike.

This Hpx pump is good because its narrow barrel allows high pressures
with less force, costs about £20. If you are strong or don't need high
pressures you could get a cheaper plastic Zefal Framefit for about £6.

Old December 31st 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Dec 31, 5:01*pm, "PeterL" wrote:
Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably with a
gauge and target price around 25?

If you mean for carrying and you have presta-valved tyres, a SKS
Supersport (Bluemels) alloy barrel for frame fit use is good. You'll
be looking to get it under the top tube but holders are available
which clmp the pump from a bottle cage if you can't get a pump to
frame fit. I'd try the same for your wife's bike. Don't worry too
much about measuring pressure, just make 23s hard and ride them to
see. If you start bumping the road with the rim, then inflate that
tyre a bit more. Once you got the pressure's right for you, use your
thumb as a gauge or lean with all your weight on the wheel in question
and remember the deformity which occurs. Another gauge is to bounce
the bike. These methods are the ones you will revert to in the wind,
dark and rain, learn them. I've ridden bicycles for forty years, if
tyre pressures are bothering you, there is something else wrong.
Usually it's the back tyre is too narrow and the tyre has to be pumped
so hard to prevent the wheel banging on the road and transmits all the
shock from the road to the rider. If you are getting an uncomfortable
ride and can not reduce tyre pressure without banging the road then
you need a larger section tyre on that wheel.

My advice is to leave the front's alone (I've always liked 23 in the
front) and get the fattest tyre which will fit in the back if you want
to stay all day friendly with your bike.

I have a Trek 1.5 alpha and my wife a Trek 2.0 pilot

I took account of that.

Thanks

Old January 1st 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_3_]

"PeterL" wrote in message
Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably with a
gauge and target price around £25?

I have a Trek 1.5 alpha and my wife a Trek 2.0 pilot

Thanks

I have carried a "cyclaire "turbo puimp for years now on all my tours --
but i have rarely has to use it but it has always performed well and a lot
easier than pumping with a hanfd pump.

I can't remeber what i paid for it but a see that the "Cyclaire Rapid is
£24. I got mine before there was a choice!

Also when I lost the connector bit they sent me a new complet end pice all
for free 2 yeatrs ago
--
From
Trevor A Panther

Old January 3rd 11, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, PeterL wrote:
Could I please have a recommendation for a type pump, preferably
with a gauge and target price around £25?

Topeak Joe Blow Sport.

I've got a Joe Blow Max II (i think). It's a good pump. AFAICT, it's the
same as the Sport but with less good materials (eg a plastic rather than a
metal base), but a bit cheaper - you can get it for 20 quid online.

Looking at other Topeak pumps, this is a great idea (probably not new, but
new to me):

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/MiniMorph

tom

--
To be honest, so far Dollhouse mostly reminds me of Mr Benn. -- Martin