Who reckons they have the longest cycle commute?

Old August 7th 03, 01:17 PM
Toby Barrett

Default Who reckons they have the longest cycle commute?

"Drinky" wrote in
:

I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is
a round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

Not me! I do a round trip of about 18 miles. I could up it a bit, but 53
miles?

Respect.

It never ceases to amaze me how little cycling takes place in the UK
compared to Continental Europe - and I've taken to counting how many
other cyclists I see each day to reinforce my views. This morning I
saw just 3 other cyclists; a paperboy, a postman and a fat bloke
wobbling along with a fag in his mouth (he cannot have read the
instructions on each pack) and The Sun trapped under his arm.

I too have tried doing this. There are about four regular commuters on my
route plus the odd postman and paper boy/girl.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail
Old August 7th 03, 01:24 PM
W K

"Drinky" wrote in message
I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is a
round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

I used to do one about 50+ but never managed more than 3 days a week.

How's about with the most climbing/altitude?
Did one twice (and it was from home to work in the shortest AND most
sensible route) that involved about 500m of climbing, with a highest point
of 450m ?

Old August 7th 03, 01:24 PM
Lee

"Drinky" wrote in message
I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is a
round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

It never ceases to amaze me how little cycling takes place in the UK
compared to Continental Europe - and I've taken to counting how many other
cyclists I see each day to reinforce my views. This morning I saw just 3
other cyclists; a paperboy, a postman and a fat bloke wobbling along with

fag in his mouth (he cannot have read the instructions on each pack) and

The
Sun trapped under his arm.

LOL mine is a mere 16 mile round trip and I think now I would be ashamed to
"motor" that distance!

I see probably about 4 or 5 other cyclists on my commute - which is good -
get all those cycle lanes to myself

:-)

Old August 7th 03, 01:42 PM
Succorso

Drinky wrote:
I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is a
round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

It never ceases to amaze me how little cycling takes place in the UK
compared to Continental Europe - and I've taken to counting how many other
cyclists I see each day to reinforce my views. This morning I saw just 3
other cyclists; a paperboy, a postman and a fat bloke wobbling along with a
fag in his mouth (he cannot have read the instructions on each pack) and The
Sun trapped under his arm.

Sadly, we are programmed to believe the "correct" and "civilised" way to
behave is to fall out of your front door into your car, and out of your
car into the door of your destination - regardless of the length of the
journey.

Sadly, many journalists (such as C*a*kson) help to propagate that vision.

Just been an item on the local (Look East) news about the fall in use of
bicycles in Peterborough. Methinks we still have a long way to go.

--
Succorso

Old August 7th 03, 02:25 PM
Robert Bruce

"Drinky" mark_drinkwater_probably_doesn't_want_to_be_spamm
wrote in message ...

I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is a
round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

I work at home. Once a week I have to show my face at the office. Home is in
Llandrindod. The office is next to Marylebone station in London. That's 165
miles each way by the most direct route.

OK, so I admit that I use the camper van for 155 miles of that and only
actually cycle a twenty mile round trip.

This morning I saw just 3
other cyclists

Funnily enough, I only ever see five or six other cyclists on the same route
(Harrow Road mainly), but when I used to commute daily from Lewisham to
Marylebone it was not unusual to meet dozens.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and
benefit.

Old August 7th 03, 03:58 PM
Dave Larrington

Drinky wrote:

I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which
is a round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?

Not me, matey. Anything over an hour each way and I get bored... Respect!

But there's plenty of regulars - at least at this time of year - going from
E17 to the City and beyond, so OK on that score.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 7th 03, 04:00 PM
Toby Barrett

doobrie wrote in
:

can definately see the advantage of having more than 1 working bike -
once i can replace mine next spring i'll keep it in good order as a
spare for problem times so i dont lose out on my commute miles

To be recommended if you are thinking of replacing a car by commuting by
bike to work. I have a second, "best" bike that I keep for weekend rides,
tours, etc, but it has helped me out a few when my main commuting bike is
broken.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail
Old August 7th 03, 04:44 PM
ChrisW

Drinky wrote:
I am currently commuting between Hornchurch and Potters Bar - which is a
round trip of just over 53 miles. Who beats that?
It never ceases to amaze me how little cycling takes place in the UK
compared to Continental Europe
- and I've taken to counting how many other cyclists I see each day to
reinforce my views. This morning I saw just 3 other cyclists; a
paperboy, a postman and a fat bloke wobbling along with a fag in his
mouth (he cannot have read the instructions on each pack) and The Sun
trapped under his arm.

I manage about 26 miles round trip. I'm impressed by the mileage, but
also by the proportion of your life you must be devoting to commuting.

I rarely see any cyclists for the 9 miles of my journey that crosses the
fens, but when I get to Peterborough they're not uncommon.

Chris Walker

Old August 7th 03, 04:52 PM
The Real Slim Shady

Maybe becuase it is always ****ing down here.