Going to Hong Kong

Old October 24th 06, 08:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
The Doctor

Default Going to Hong Kong

I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of things
can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

Old October 24th 06, 10:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

The Doctor Wrote:
I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of
things
can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

No... but you might want to drop past these guys:
http://www.flyingball.com/

--
gplama

Old October 24th 06, 10:49 PM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

gplama Wrote:
No... but you might want to drop past these guys:
http://www.flyingball.com/

Great looking bike shop. They seem to have a good sense of humour too.
For those with www. - click on road bikes and then scroll about 3/5 of
the way down to the photo of the guy holding the Seven Elium and note
their quoted price

--
monsterman

Old October 24th 06, 11:49 PM posted to aus.bicycle
asterope

monsterman Wrote:
Great looking bike shop. They seem to have a good sense of humour too.
For those with www. - click on road bikes and then scroll about 3/5 of
the way down to the photo of the guy holding the Seven Elium and note
their quoted price

awesome little (big) bike shop, i wonder what they mean by not cheap,
and exactly how cheap it is compared to australia...

That pink yeti asr in the MTB section is ever so slightly
droolicious...

--
asterope

Old October 25th 06, 12:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz

The Doctor Wrote:
I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of
things
can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

Visited a couple of bike shops in Hong Kong and the prices are not much
better so doubt if you will pick much up. Visited the Flying Ball shop,
it is an awesome shop to visit although I think they have moved now, so
there might be more than enough room now for 1 person to walk down the
length of the shop. As for stock...!! geesh you could spend a long
time in there looking and chatting to the guys there they are good. I
believe an ex-pat Pom runs it or was when I was there. *surprise
surprise*

Their jerseys are cool looking as well... but they had run out when I
was there

--
MikeyOz

Old October 25th 06, 05:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

monsterman wrote:
gplama Wrote:

No... but you might want to drop past these guys:
http://www.flyingball.com/

Great looking bike shop. They seem to have a good sense of humour too.
For those with www. - click on road bikes and then scroll about 3/5 of
the way down to the photo of the guy holding the Seven Elium and note
their quoted price

If you have to ask the price then you can't afford it.

The Stronglight ULTIM Time Trial Crank Set looks err.... interesting.

Friday
Old October 25th 06, 05:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
asterope wrote:

monsterman Wrote:
Great looking bike shop. They seem to have a good sense of humour too.
For those with www. - click on road bikes and then scroll about 3/5 of
the way down to the photo of the guy holding the Seven Elium and note
their quoted price

awesome little (big) bike shop, i wonder what they mean by not cheap,
and exactly how cheap it is compared to australia...

Have not been to that shop. But I'd say that the best bargains in HK are
buying those components/accessories that's made locally (Chinese
mainland included), very similar to the bargains that can be had for
computer parts. Name brands may not be cheap depending on the particular
shop.
Old October 25th 06, 07:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Mike

The Doctor wrote:
I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of things
can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

If you want real bargains, head across the border to Shenzhen.
There are some decent shops, and don't be surprised to see bikes from
$20 to $5000 in the same shop!
Folding bikes can be had for one third of the Australian price.
As Artoi said, the best bargains are the chinese-made products,
but this includes foreign-branded ones, e.g. Shimano, Dahon.

Old October 25th 06, 11:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Ken Pisichko

The Doctor wrote:
I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of things
can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

Get some tailor made clothes if you are into that. I got my first suit
there in 1971 and it fit me like a glove - of course it took 4 fittings
but then i had a week in HK. I still get tailor made shirts and sports
jackets and trousers made for me and then sent back to Canada. Always
fine quality cloth and excellent fit.

Send a PM if you want the name of the tailor who does my work.

Ken, Canada
Old October 25th 06, 11:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Ken Pisichko wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

I am travelling to Hong Kong around December. Given that a lot of
things can
bought via the Internet these days. Are they anything worth picking up
in HK? My budget is rather limited.

Get some tailor made clothes if you are into that. I got my first suit
there in 1971 and it fit me like a glove - of course it took 4 fittings
but then i had a week in HK. I still get tailor made shirts and sports
jackets and trousers made for me and then sent back to Canada. Always
fine quality cloth and excellent fit.

Send a PM if you want the name of the tailor who does my work.

Ken, Canada

I've heard it's cheap to get spectacles made there too.

Friday