You know you are a cyclist when......

Old September 8th 11, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Garry Jones

Default You know you are a cyclist when......

Just when you thought all had been said on this subject I think I have the
ultimate...

Drum roll....

"You know you are a cyclist when you find yourself leading a group of
cyclists down a mountain at 60km/h on Google Maps."

I work as a cycling guide near Riccione in Italy for 2 months every spring.
Earlier this year we met the Google Car and I made a mental note to take a
peek later in the year. That peek was yesterday and there I am in a red
helmet at the front of the group. You can see three guys on my wheel, there
are about another 8 riders some way behind me.

http://g.co/maps/mn26y

The name of the road we were on translates roughly to "The Pink Pedal".
Quite apt for Italy given the "pink jersey".

Garry Jones
English Cyclist, ResIDING in Sweden
PS I am back on rec.bicycles after an abscense of several years, I was a
regular here back in the mid 90's, hope to catch some old friends and make
some new ones, keep the wheels turning guys.

Old September 8th 11, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Garry Jones" wrote in message
[...]
Garry Jones
English Cyclist, ResIDING in Sweden
PS I am back on rec.bicycles after an abscense of several years, I was a
regular here back in the mid 90's, hope to catch some old friends and make
some new ones, keep the wheels turning guys.

Usenet newsgroups are NOT for making friends. They are for kicking ass. You
might prefer a chat room instead. Usenet is a wild and wooly place.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 8th 11, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Garry Jones

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message Usenet newsgroups are NOT for making
friends. They are for kicking ass. You might prefer a chat room instead.
Usenet is a wild and wooly place.

Oh my have times really changed that much? From 1997-2000 at least -
rec.bicycles.* WAS a great place for making cycling friends all over the
world. If you were around in these groups at that time you would know the
camaraderie that existed. For instance one of the first Internet cycling
friends I made was Ken Kifer. Who was Ken?

Read this. http://www.algonet.se/~morack/kenkifer.html

Even though I wrote that in 2004 I hope that some of the same people are
still around.

Old September 8th 11, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
TFM®

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:23:09 +0200, Garry Jones wrote:

"Garry Jones" wrote in message hope to catch some
old friends and make some new ones.

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message Usenet newsgroups are NOT for making
friends. They are for kicking ass. You might prefer a chat room instead.
Usenet is a wild and wooly place.

Oh my have times really changed that much? From 1997-2000 at least -
rec.bicycles.* WAS a great place for making cycling friends all over the
world. If you were around in these groups at that time you would know the
camaraderie that existed. For instance one of the first Internet cycling
friends I made was Ken Kifer. Who was Ken?

Read this. http://www.algonet.se/~morack/kenkifer.html

Even though I wrote that in 2004 I hope that some of the same people are
still around.

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden

Times haven't changed that much, there are simply more assholes out there.

Pleased to meet you.

TFM® (west central Floriduh cyclist)
Old September 8th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Edward Dolan" wrote:

Usenet newsgroups are NOT for making friends. They are for kicking ass.
You might prefer a chat room instead. Usenet is a wild and wooly place.

Oh my have times really changed that much? From 1997-2000 at least -
rec.bicycles.* WAS a great place for making cycling friends all over the
world. If you were around in these groups at that time you would know the
camaraderie that existed.

[...]

Surely you jest!

The Usenet you knew has died and gone to hell if it ever existed. ALL of the
cycling newsgroups are chock full of assholes, idiots and criminal trolls.
I myself haven't been able to post anything on topic for over 5 years. That
is because I am so busy kicking dumb ass.

If you want civility and polite discussion, I suggest you try a moderated
newsgroup. Of course, such a group is boring as hell, but some folks prefer
boredom to having their dumb asses kicked.

By the way, what does the "se" in your address stand for?

Old September 8th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Opus[_2_]

On Sep 8, 10:35*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
snip
The Usenet you knew has died and gone to hell if it ever existed. ALL of the
cycling newsgroups are chock full of assholes, idiots and criminal trolls..
I myself haven't been able to post anything on topic for over 5 years. That
is because I am so busy kicking dumb ass.

Yeah that's one of the ones you might want to killfile, along with
Mikey and his incessant ranting about mountain bikers. In case you
don't get that kind of news in Sweden Mikey was convicted of "doing
bad things" to mountain bikers on a trail near his house and is under
probation for another 2 years. He still comes here to post about
mountain bikers that have wrecks on the trail and have to be evacuated
out. One of the terms of his probation was that he stay away from
places where mountain bikers congregate. That might be why he hasn't
been here in a while.
Old September 8th 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Opus" wrote in message
[...]

What Opus knows about Mr. Michael Vandeman you could put in a thimble with
room to spare. He knows even less about me. But, as you can so plainly see,
knowing nothing has never prevented anyone from spouting off on Usenet. In
fact, the dumber you are, the more valued you are. Welcome to the club!

Old September 8th 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Garry Jones

"Opus" wrote in message

Yeah that's one of the ones you might want to killfile, along with

Mikey and his incessant ranting about mountain bikers. In case you
don't get that kind of news in Sweden Mikey was convicted of "doing
bad things" to mountain bikers on a trail ......

You mean Michael Vandeman? I remember him from 96-97 sometime. They tried to
get him banned from rec.bicycles.offroad but that failed because he worked
for AT&T so they moderated the newsgroup. That some people can continue like
that for 15 years? I thought at least he'd be gone.

Garry Jones
English Cycling ResIDING in Sweden

Old September 9th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ed Dolan the Great"

[...]
By the way, what does the "se" in your address stand for?

Such level of brilliance, when you don't even know about national
domain registries.

So you don't know either. Hey, that's OK by me. I am not much for
abbreviations either.

Did AOL vomit you out, are you a newbie, or are you just thick?

What is AOL? And what is a newbie? I do underatnd vomit and thick since
those words perfectly describe you.

Old September 9th 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Opus" wrote in message

Yeah that's one of the ones you might want to killfile, along with

Mikey and his incessant ranting about mountain bikers. In case you
don't get that kind of news in Sweden Mikey was convicted of "doing
bad things" to mountain bikers on a trail ......

You mean Michael Vandeman? I remember him from 96-97 sometime. They tried
to get him banned from rec.bicycles.offroad but that failed because he
worked for AT&T so they moderated the newsgroup. That some people can
continue like that for 15 years? I thought at least he'd be gone.

Mountain bikers do not like to hear the truth. They also lie about
everything. But never fear, I am here to kick their dumb asses.

How is Sweden working out for you? We have plenty of people of Swedish and
Norwegian ancestry here in Minnesota and I can say confidently that I do not
care for any of them. Even those of German ancestry are preferable to those
coming from the Far North of Europe. I think those northern climes freeze
their brains and most especially their sense of humor. Dour, dour, dour!