FLU

Old December 2nd 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default FLU

Portland lacks bad coffee ?
Old December 2nd 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-12-01 16:42, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:40:00 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-29 17:01, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:01:31 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-28 16:50, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:50:41 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-27 16:21, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 13:16:19 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-27 12:15, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Oh - and I'm sure your completely separate bike paths will be
hermetically sealed, and given their own supply of filtered and
purified air, right? It wouldn't do to have them downwind from some
cars. One can't be too careful!

The one I took on Friday does come close to roads and even ... gasp
... Highway 50 at one spot where you can hear faint vroom vroom sounds.
Smells? Pine needle scent, foliage, earth, and oo, the occasionally
horse poop. I rather smell horse poop than the soot from a big Diesel.
You might be so city-addicted that you don't notice the difference but I
sure do.

Quite the opposite I would say. and, yes, I grew up in a rural
environment so I am familiar with all the smells that exist "out in
the country". But to those who actually reside in that environment
don't even notice them, they are part of the normal atmosphere.

It is only the city slickers who comment on "Oh... Smell the pine
trees. Of course there is an odor of pine trees, there ought to be as
all you can see is pine trees for miles around.

Your comment about smelling "horse poop" is a dead giveaway. The
correct term is "horse manure" and it is a normal part of the rural
atmosphere, or at least the normal rural atmosphere in areas where
horses are kept. In other areas it might be cow manure or chicken
manure and is a perfectly normal part of the environment where those
critters are raised.

As a little kid I grew up in farm country. Scientifically correct
expressions such as manure are mostly used by upscale folks that don't
live there. Locals call it poop or ****. Which is what it is. Sometimes
dung but that can already be seen as a frou-frou expression :-)

Strange comment. At least in my experience.

I never heard the term "**** spreader" used, they were called "manure
spreaders".

I heard that all the time, mostly in other languages. For example,
"Guelle Anhaenger" (ue is an umlaut in there) which loosely translates
to "**** trailer". That's how farmers called the "liquid manure" tank
trailers they carted to their fields, opened a valve and then pulled it
across behind the tractor. Leaving behind a serious stench.

If you want to include non-English languages to interpreted to English
than you open the gate to some pretty strange terms. For example, the
correct term, in Thai, for cigarette ash is "cigarette ****". An
ashtray is a "thing for cigarette ****". Of course "kee" the term I am
translating to "****" doesn't imply feces in Thai, it means something
more in line with the English term "waste".

If you want to go further abroad, the correct term to identify a
railway train is "fire wagon".

Logically, if you wish to argue English language terms then it is
probably logical to argue in English.

Well, pretty much all Texans I know call horse manure horse **** or
horse poop. Or is Texas outside the English language region in your
eyes? To some folks it is ...

[...]

What you do to maintain the chemicals necessary to support plant life
is spread "natural" fertilizers... i.e. manure on the farm land.

Yes, cow dung. BTDT.

Nope. Any type of manure although I seem to remember that chicken
manure was used with some caution as it tended to "burn the field" as
the old folks described it and chicken manure does have the highest
amount of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium of common farm manures
so perhaps they did know what they were talking about.

They successfully ran farms that way. Else their bank would have taken over.

Subsistence farming, i.e., a small family owned farm that supported
the family is, and probably has been for a generation or more, pretty
much a myth. Even when I was growing up in New England they were rare
as one simply couldn't make a living doing everything yourself.

Not at all. Many large farms out here (and where I grew up) are already
squeezed to the hilt with taxes, fees, costly labor rules and so on.
It's no subsistence, it's been their livelihood since generations.

What was there about "small family owned farm" that you didn't
understand?

You might also want to google "Subsistence farming" try
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/subsistence-farming

Again, I am talking about operations that do not just feed the family
but are also significant local employers, major donors to the church and
to cheritable organizations. Not old Henry chugging along on his 1950's
Farmall.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 2nd 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.Y2vCfZeBSqM

Old December 3rd 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-12-01 16:48, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:44:31 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

That's how it was in the village where I grew up except the smell was
from "cow ****". The local ranchers regularly drove herds through the
village. There was only that one street so no other options. It never
bothered me. Diesel exhaust blasting into my face while riding on roads
does though, big time.

But that is very much a matter of personal preference, isn't it?

You do know the difference between a nuisance smell and potential lung
cancer, don't you?

That's the point, Joerg. You obviously don't know the difference.

You pretend that if you can smell diesel, you must be at significantly
elevated risk for lung cancer. That's not the case. In enough
concentration, diesel fumes do raise risk, but that concentration must
be much higher than what a person can detect by smell.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 3rd 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

That's how it was in the village where I grew up except the smell was
from "cow ****". The local ranchers regularly drove herds through the
village. There was only that one street so no other options. It never
bothered me. Diesel exhaust blasting into my face while riding on roads
does though, big time.

But that is very much a matter of personal preference, isn't it?

You do know the difference between a nuisance smell and potential lung
cancer, don't you?

That's the point, Joerg. You obviously don't know the difference.

You pretend that if you can smell diesel, you must be at significantly
elevated risk for lung cancer. That's not the case. In enough
concentration, diesel fumes do raise risk, but that concentration must
be much higher than what a person can detect by smell.

I have mentioned that often a cough sets in. Ask any doctor. When fumes
trigger a cough they do increase cancer risk, big time. Once I am off
that long county road for a while, no more coughing.

Old December 3rd 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Oh good grief.

My doctor tells me I may be allergic to pine pollen, because I get a
cough every year around Christmas time when we have a live tree in the
house. But he says it may be another allergen instead.

Allergies are not cancer.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 4th 17, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Seriously, I wonder whether you don't have an over active imagination.

I had some sort of internal combustion engine powered transportation
device from the time I was 14 years old. I joined the A.F. and spent
the next 20 years running up and down the flight line which was packed
with various types of internal combustion engines roaring and belching
smoke and flame.

The I retired and almost immediately was hired firstly as a "Master
Mechanic" working on construction equipment and later as a manager for
construction projects which entailed considerable on site supervision.

After some 70 years of being exposed almost continuously to devices
burning gasoline, ave-gas and diesel fuel I have no breathing problems
at all.

Oh yes, I forgot, for several years, long before California's first
clean air laws, I was also exposed to the Los Angeles Basin smog for
longer or shorter periods.

You, on the other hand, seem to open your front door, take a deep
breath and (apparently) are in immediate danger of contracting cancer.

Really?

As an addendum, are you aware that simply cooking food creates an
atmosphere that is conductive to cancer?

"When food is cooked at temperatures up to 300°C, carbohydrates,
proteins, and fat are reduced to toxic products, such as aldehydes and
alkanoic acids which can cause irritation of the airway mucosa.
Cooking fumes also contains carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds, such
as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic compounds.
Exposure to cooking fumes has also been associated in several studies
with an increased risk of respiratory cancer..."
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 4th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I recently came across the following and thought it might be of
interest to those who wish to avoid cancer.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...-causes-cancer

The less alcohol you drink, the lower the risk of cancer. No type of
alcohol is better or worse than another, it is the alcohol itself that
leads to the damage, regardless of whether it is in wine, beer or
spirits.

Research has looked mainly at the amount of alcohol people drink in
total and the effect on cancer risk. Drinking alcohol increases the
risk of cancer whether you drink it all in one go or a bit at a time.

Regularly drinking up to a pint of premium lager or a large glass of
wine a day can increase the risk of mouth, upper throat, esophageal
(food pipe), breast and bowel cancers. These drinks both include about
3 units of alcohol.

Around 3,200 cases of breast cancer each year in the UK are linked to
alcohol.

Drinking alcohol regularly can increase the risk of 7 different
cancers. It is likely that different cancers are caused in different
ways. Cancers linked to alcohol include:

Mouth cancer
Pharyngeal cancer (upper throat)
Esophageal cancer (food pipe)
Laryngeal cancer (voice box)
Breast cancer
Bowel cancer
Liver cancer

In our bodies, alcohol (ethanol) is converted into a toxic chemical
called acetaldehyde.

It can cause cancer by damaging DNA and stopping our cells from
repairing this damage. The International Agency for Research on Cancer
have classified acetaldehyde formed as a result of drinking alcohol as
being a cause of cancer, along with alcohol itself.

There have been some studies in the past that suggested drinking a
little bit of alcohol may be good for heart health. But recent reviews
have called these findings into question and the UK Chief Medical
Officer's review of the evidence concluded that potential benefits
only apply to women aged 55 and over who drink very little (about 5
units per week). The new government guidelines clearly state that
drinking for health reasons is not recommended.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 4th 17, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0925125145.htm
Old December 4th 17, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 11:53:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0925125145.htm

have my shot have my shot

in Florida with crosscurrents of global n heartland bacteria n virus brought by menials n snowbirds alike is possible contacting n suffering from 3-4 different strains during the current winter. absolutely beastly.