Letter to discourage cycling for transport.

Old April 25th 09, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Letter to discourage cycling for transport.

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...87154?UserKey=

--
Simon Mason

Old April 25th 09, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:28:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

Obviously he is not getting long enough in the queues so wants these
folks all to start driving instead. I am convinced drivers actively
enjoy being in queues, look at the dangerous things they will do in
order to get to the next queue a few seconds earlier so they can have
extra time sitting there waiting.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old April 25th 09, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

Obviously he is not getting long enough in the queues so wants these
folks all to start driving instead. I am convinced drivers actively
enjoy being in queues, look at the dangerous things they will do in
order to get to the next queue a few seconds earlier so they can have
extra time sitting there waiting.

FFS, can you stop being provocational for just ONE post?!
Old April 26th 09, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

Obviously he is not getting long enough in the queues so wants these
folks all to start driving instead. I am convinced drivers actively
enjoy being in queues, look at the dangerous things they will do in
order to get to the next queue a few seconds earlier so they can have
extra time sitting there waiting.

FFS, can you stop being provocational for just ONE post?!

Fat chance. It's his schtick (and he wouldn't deny that).

[BTW: "provocational"? What's wrong with "provocative"?]
Old April 26th 09, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

JNugent wrote:
wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

Obviously he is not getting long enough in the queues so wants these
folks all to start driving instead. I am convinced drivers actively
enjoy being in queues, look at the dangerous things they will do in
order to get to the next queue a few seconds earlier so they can have
extra time sitting there waiting.

FFS, can you stop being provocational for just ONE post?!

Fat chance. It's his schtick (and he wouldn't deny that).

[BTW: "provocational"? What's wrong with "provocative"?]

Ummmm, okay, you got me. It's a fair cop, I'll come quietly.
Old April 26th 09, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

" wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...87154?UserKey=

He says "there is little we can do to improve the inherent vulnerability
of cyclists on today’s busy roads" so I guess we'd better just cut the
number of cars on the road by imposing various restrictions on
them. :-)

Old April 26th 09, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

" wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...87154?UserKey=

He says "there is little we can do to improve the inherent vulnerability
of cyclists on today’s busy roads" so I guess we'd better just cut the
number of cars on the road by imposing various restrictions on
them. :-)

Be quicker to just remove the cyclists though, and far less damaging to
the economy.
Old April 26th 09, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, JNugent wrote:

wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

Obviously he is not getting long enough in the queues so wants these
folks all to start driving instead. I am convinced drivers actively
enjoy being in queues, look at the dangerous things they will do in
order to get to the next queue a few seconds earlier so they can have
extra time sitting there waiting.

FFS, can you stop being provocational for just ONE post?!

Fat chance. It's his schtick (and he wouldn't deny that).

[BTW: "provocational"? What's wrong with "provocative"?]

It'll just make everyone think of Guy in a basque, that's what's wrong
with it.

tom

--
.... the gripping first chapter, which literally grips you because it's
printed on a large clamp.
Old April 26th 09, 03:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod43

" wrote:

Interesting letter in an Aberdeen newspaper by a writer who wants to
get rid of cycle lanes and the cyclists that go with them. It seems he
wants them all to simply go away. Where to, he doesn't say.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...87154?UserKey=

He says "there is little we can do to improve the inherent vulnerability
of cyclists on today’s busy roads" so I guess we'd better just cut the
number of cars on the road by imposing various restrictions on
them. *:-)

Be quicker to just remove the cyclists though, and far less damaging to
the economy.

The author of this letter lives 10 miles inland from Aberdeen.
There is basically no one there. The 25 square miles
round his joint probably has a lower population density
than anywhere in England containing a road.

He is a rich **** that can't buy a loaf of bread without getting
in his car and his opinion has no relevance to anyone
who cycles in anything that could be called a town.

His complaint is likely that his Bently has to reduce
speed by 3.2 mph for 7 seconds twice a month to
avoid troublesome questions from the police. He hates
it that someone poorer than him can demand this
much of his attention.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,0.031157&z=15
Old April 26th 09, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod43

" wrote:

[...]

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...ode=&q=Mansard...

Turns out that there is Google Street View, however
I can see no Bentley.