What is native and what is exotic?

Old April 28th 10, 12:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

Default What is native and what is exotic?

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

However, no other species can ever adapt to human beings, not even
in a billion years. We are too evolved in terms of our brains compared
to all other animals who have ever existed on the earth.

This assertion by ED I also disagree with. Using local examples; raccoons,
coyotes, many rodents, many birds, and even deer seem to have adapted to
us rather well. :-)

The above examples are all animals who live in the crevices. They are just
doing what they have always done.

Uhm, Ed....
Deer and birds live in crevices?

Our true enemies who may very well defeat us in the end are the microbes.

Yes, and maybe not such a bad idea.
Maybe it's time for more of us to read up on our Daniel Quinn.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 28th 10, 04:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On Apr 28, 4:45*am, VtSkier wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

However, no other species can ever adapt to human beings, not even
in a billion years. We are too evolved in terms of our brains compared
to all other animals who have ever existed on the earth.
This assertion by ED I also disagree with. Using local examples; raccoons,
coyotes, many rodents, many birds, and even deer seem to have adapted to
us rather well. :-)

The above examples are all animals who live in the crevices. They are just
doing what they have always done.

Uhm, Ed....
Deer and birds live in crevices?

Our true enemies who may very well defeat us in the end are the microbes.

Yes, and maybe not such a bad idea.
Maybe it's time for more of us to read up on our Daniel Quinn.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

I think he means ecological "crevices" or niches; even here I disagree
to some extent - raccoons and deer and many other critters seem to be
highly adaptable to suburban and even urban landscapes. "Many,"
however,is a relative term - the majority of them are too sensitive,
and especially high-end predators - often considered indicator or
keystone species - have a terrible time moving beyond the wilderness
boundary.

Bruce

Exotic Pedals The UniSLAB Unicycling 30 September 30th 07 02:57 AM
Most 'exotic' roadkill? Mark Thompson UK 46 April 4th 07 01:20 PM
jamie paolinetti and native productiions B Racing 3 May 14th 05 12:48 PM
jamie paolinetti and native productiions B Rides 0 May 13th 05 08:24 PM
jamie paolinetti and native productiions B Techniques 0 May 13th 05 08:23 PM