Fixing Planet Bike Fenders

Old April 29th 21, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Fixing Planet Bike Fenders

Look at the eyes at the end of the stays. There is no attempt made to change the cross-section from round. Would it not grip the bike and the mounting bolt a whole lot better were the contact patch in the shape of a washer not a ring?

Place it on the anvil and pound it carefully several times on both sides.
Hit it with a file or drill briefly so you can get the screw through it again.

Now tighten the bolt finger tight. Does the arrangement not feel better already?

I am neither being a tweak snob not drinking my own koolaid here. This is real, I tell ya.

Old April 29th 21, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/28/2021 8:45 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
Look at the eyes at the end of the stays. There is no attempt made to change the cross-section from round. Would it not grip the bike and the mounting bolt a whole lot better were the contact patch in the shape of a washer not a ring?

Place it on the anvil and pound it carefully several times on both sides.
Hit it with a file or drill briefly so you can get the screw through it again.

Now tighten the bolt finger tight. Does the arrangement not feel better already?

I am neither being a tweak snob not drinking my own koolaid here. This is real, I tell ya.

Do you mean the drawbolts?
https://www.modernbike.com/sks-stain...t-nut-set-of-8

PB is a version of this ancient style which occasionally
failed when they were much smaller and mild steel. Modern
ones are beefy and stainless. What problem are we solving here?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 29th 21, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 4/28/2021 6:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/28/2021 8:45 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
Look at the eyes at the end of the stays.Â* There is no attempt made to
change the cross-section from round.Â* Would it not grip the bike and
the mounting bolt a whole lot better were the contact patch in the
shape of a washer not a ring?

Place it on the anvil and pound it carefully several times on both sides.
Hit it with a file or drill briefly so you can get the screw through
it again.

Now tighten the bolt finger tight.Â*Â* Does the arrangement not feel
better already?

I am neither being a tweak snob not drinking my own koolaid here.
This is real, I tell ya.

Do you mean the drawbolts?
https://www.modernbike.com/sks-stain...t-nut-set-of-8

PB is a version of this ancient style which occasionally failed when
they were much smaller and mild steel.Â* Modern ones are beefy and
stainless. What problem are we solving here?

I thought he was talking about the loop at the *other* end of the stays.

Mark J.
Old April 29th 21, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 18:45:52 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

Place it on the anvil and pound it carefully several times on both sides.
Hit it with a file or drill briefly so you can get the screw through it again.
Now tighten the bolt finger tight. Does the arrangement not feel better already?

If the rod end eye is attached to the frame on a painted surface, your
rough blacksmith style surface preparation of the rod end eye is going
to scratch the paint. You can prevent that by adding a washer between
the eye and the frame, but that puts you back where you started, where
the eye does not have enough surface area to prevent movement.

What problem are you trying to solve?
What do you have to work with?
What have you done so far and what went wrong?

Andrews suggestion of using a draw bolt is probably the best. Just
cut off the rod end eye and make it look like one of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=draw+bolt+bicycle+fender&tbm=isch
Be sure to put a rubber end cap on the rod end and use nyloc nuts on
the draw bolt.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old April 29th 21, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/28/2021 9:29 PM, Mark J. wrote:

snip

I thought he was talking about the loop at the *other* end of the stays.

Correct.

I like using M5 Truss Head bolts (Allen)
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vRkAAOSwrglf5Lew/s-l1600.jpg for things
like fenders, racks, water bottles, etc.. This eliminates any need for a
washer under the bolt head. I've never found such Allen head bolts in
the U.S. (though Philips head are available); See
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133616709405.

I suppose that a M5 SS flat washer, an/or an M5 fiber flat washer,
between the accessory and the frame, might not be a bad idea, the fiber
washer would prevent any paint damage to the frame.

Old May 3rd 21, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

Place it on the anvil and pound it carefully several times on both sides.
Hit it with a file or drill briefly so you can get the screw through it again.
Now tighten the bolt finger tight. Does the arrangement not feel better already?

If the rod end eye is attached to the frame on a painted surface, your
rough blacksmith style surface preparation of the rod end eye is going
to scratch the paint.

Mmmmmm... I prolly hit it with a crocus cloth

You can prevent that by adding a washer between
the eye and the frame, but that puts you back where you started, where
the eye does not have enough surface area to prevent movement.

What problem are you trying to solve?

I''ll do a better reporting w/pix when i can. cuz the problem is that they are easily knocked out of alignment, and i think i solved that nicely
That should be demonstrable easily with a torque wrench