Need Inspiration?

Old April 6th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Need Inspiration?

I just completed a cruise to Mexico and back on the Norwegian Jewel. I put on 5 lbs in 6 days,

There was a presentation by Dan Zimmerman about how he came back from a stroke.

He was left with high right side totally unfeeling and completely unable to talk. The doctors told him he would be mute and in a wheelchair pushed by someone else for the rest of his life. So he took matters into his own hands (or rather, hand since he can't feel the right one.)

He got a recumbent trike and began training. And more. And more.

http://www.vnews.com/Spokes-fighting-Strokes-4947314

Eventually he settled on a Cat recumbent trike. I rode it around the auditorium since we're about the same size. My wife tried his friend Lise's as well. These are comfortable easy riding bikes that are also foldable so that you can put them on an aircraft. The chain is roughly a million miles long.

The only weakness I could detect is that you can make very sharp terns but the the handlebars interfere with the wheels.

Remember that I came back from a traumatic brain injury by riding as well. After my friend got me to a neurologist that could stop my seizures.

http://spokesfightingstrokes.org/

A recumbent trike can be ridden by almost anyone that doesn't have a severe leg or arm handicap.

Zimmerman recovered his ability to talk. Put that in your eye doctor. In fact he probably got his voice back too well. His companion Lise couldn't get her words in edgewise.

They showed up at our lunch table and we talked after their presentation. But I didn't see them in the cafeteria after that. They probably thought it a bit too low-brow. What with plastic wine glasses and all.

I did see the pair of them riding in Mazatlan as our bus tour went by. I had a very bad time with the ultra poverty in Mexico and I probably will not return there. Being a Christian in a Christian country where there appears to be nothing more than a nodding following of Christian principles was a bit much for me.
Old April 6th 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

[...]

Tom what do you think about Ueli Steck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc&t=192s

Old April 7th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Is he a stroke survivor? If not, kudos on the super-dangerous speed climb, but I'm more impressed by a really good account this time of the year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accounting_Hall_of_Fame Abraham J. Briloff! You that man!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 7th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Tom what do you think about Ueli Steck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc&t=192s

So what you're saying is that climbing a mountain is far more inspirational than surviving a stroke and then riding coast to coast on a bicycle three times.

You certainly have good judgement. Let's see what you have to say after your stroke because I can almost guarantee you're going to have one.

Old April 7th 17, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Tom what do you think about Ueli Steck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc&t=192s

So what you're saying is that climbing a mountain is far more inspirational than surviving a stroke and then riding coast to coast on a bicycle three times.

You certainly have good judgement. Let's see what you have to say after your stroke because I can almost guarantee you're going to have one.

LOL Actually I made no statement at all I simply asked your opinion.

Old April 8th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 9:22:14 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Tom what do you think about Ueli Steck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc&t=192s

So what you're saying is that climbing a mountain is far more inspirational than surviving a stroke and then riding coast to coast on a bicycle three times.

You certainly have good judgement. Let's see what you have to say after your stroke because I can almost guarantee you're going to have one.

LOL Actually I made no statement at all I simply asked your opinion.

So you posted those totally off-subject articles because there wasn't anything better to do?

Not knocking your idea of inspiration, I just think that it was changing the subject rather dramatically.
Old April 8th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 2:02:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 9:22:14 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Tom what do you think about Ueli Steck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc&t=192s

So what you're saying is that climbing a mountain is far more inspirational than surviving a stroke and then riding coast to coast on a bicycle three times.

You certainly have good judgement. Let's see what you have to say after your stroke because I can almost guarantee you're going to have one.

LOL Actually I made no statement at all I simply asked your opinion.

So you posted those totally off-subject articles because there wasn't anything better to do?

Not knocking your idea of inspiration, I just think that it was changing the subject rather dramatically.

The long-time denizens of this newsgroup will tell you that it's topic drift. LOL

Cheers
Old April 9th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 12:29:20 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I've been here since the doors opened. And there didn't used to be this sort of "topic drift" when Sheldon was around.
Old April 9th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/9/2017 10:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

search "party doll".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 9th 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

AMuzi wrote in news
wrote:
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 9:22:14 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 7:24:42 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
[...]

"Oh, my."
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Inspiration Tom Crispin UK 5 September 17th 09 12:06 PM
Videos for inspiration Rex Button UK 1 January 12th 09 03:13 PM
Thanks for the inspiration (BRx) Rory Williams Australia 10 June 26th 06 09:29 AM
Inspiration Kumen General 11 February 2nd 05 08:17 PM
Inspiration Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 2 August 25th 04 04:25 PM