A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Centuar Ultra-t-shift sstem

Old May 21st 21, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Centuar Ultra-t-shift sstem

I assume that Andrew would be someone that could answer this question, I have a set of the 10 speed Centaur Ultra-shifters. They don't have the same size bolt for locking the shifters onto the handlebars. But the smaller size hex wrench doesn't seem to work.

Do these things use something really dumb like a Torx fitting and if so that would require some special tool and where could that be obtained?
Ads
Old May 21st 21, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/20/2021 7:11 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I assume that Andrew would be someone that could answer this question, I have a set of the 10 speed Centaur Ultra-shifters. They don't have the same size bolt for locking the shifters onto the handlebars. But the smaller size hex wrench doesn't seem to work.

Do these things use something really dumb like a Torx fitting and if so that would require some special tool and where could that be obtained?

"Dumb" is sorta subjective, isn't it?

Peel back the rubber lever cover from the back side and
actually look at it. Because it's an aluminum fastener, it's
Torx, not hex. Good engineering/design practice.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old May 21st 21, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

2d question:

Anywhere and everywhe
http://www.yellowjersey.org/bambtool.jpg

Tork is the coming thing and is an improvement in many
applications.
1921 = square-head bolts
2021 = Torx fasteners
2121 = download the wrench app.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:27:13 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

2d question:

Anywhere and everywhe

applications.
1921 = square-head bolts
2021 = Torx fasteners

With all the bike flipping, I'm amazed Tom doesn't have Torx wrenches. Torx bolts are common on chainrings and many stems these days -- and SOP for all bolt-on disc rotors. I had to get a super-tiny Torx socket to work on my L&M light and remove the COB -- which I purchased at my neighborhood Ace hardware store.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 21st 21, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

Op vrijdag 21 mei 2021 om 02:11:05 UTC+2 schreef :

Its a Torx 25 bolt. Dumb? Torx is a superior interface compared to a hex interface. You better get used to it and buy a set of Torx wrenches. An engineer here at work who uses a allen bolt instead of a Torx in one of their designs get ‘fired’.

Lou
Old May 21st 21, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:23:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I think you misunderstand my meaning. At that particular place a Torx is a very bad decision. You have soft pliable rubber hoods and it is not a particularly good idea to stick something down in there with sharp edges. This is engineering 101. Don't destroy what you go to so much trouble and expense to build.
Old May 21st 21, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:39:26 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

2d question:

Anywhere and everywhe

applications.
1921 = square-head bolts
2021 = Torx fasteners

With all the bike flipping, I'm amazed Tom doesn't have Torx wrenches. Torx bolts are common on chainrings and many stems these days -- and SOP for all bolt-on disc rotors. I had to get a super-tiny Torx socket to work on my L&M light and remove the COB -- which I purchased at my neighborhood Ace hardware store.

Torx wrenches are common and I have a complete set of them. But long handled Torx wrenches are NOT common and they are about $9 a copy.
Old May 21st 21, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:30:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op vrijdag 21 mei 2021 om 02:11:05 UTC+2 schreef :

Its a Torx 25 bolt. Dumb? Torx is a superior interface compared to a hex interface. You better get used to it and buy a set of Torx wrenches. An engineer here at work who uses a allen bolt instead of a Torx in one of their designs get ‘fired’.

Lou, I should add that at the spot in the hoods where the Torx wrench is inserted the hoods on the ones I've seen have been cut by the edges of those. That is bad engineering in anyone's book.
Old May 21st 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/21/2021 9:25 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:23:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I think you misunderstand my meaning. At that particular place a Torx is a very bad decision. You have soft pliable rubber hoods and it is not a particularly good idea to stick something down in there with sharp edges. This is engineering 101. Don't destroy what you go to so much trouble and expense to build.

I don't get your theory.

In practice, any tool slips easily under a rubber cover.
For a small aluminum sleeve fastener, Torx is a better drive
than Allen or PziDrive or Phillips.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 7:28:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:39:26 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

2d question:

Anywhere and everywhe

applications.
1921 = square-head bolts
2021 = Torx fasteners

Torx wrenches are common and I have a complete set of them. But long handled Torx wrenches are NOT common and they are about $9 a copy.

I have a foldable set, but I mostly use Torx bits that fit my torque wrench (cheaper version of this: https://static.biketiresdirect.com/p...0/ptat21-1.jpg) and my driver: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use my cordless drill for mounting rotors -- which has a nice clutch. Easy off, easy on.

You can buy a set of long-handle Torx ("star") wrenches cheap off Amazonian or at the local hardware store -- but until basically all the fittings on my bike are Torx, I don't think I'll make that investment. https://tinyurl..com/xd99n45v

-- Jay Beattie