Mountain Lion kills a biker out on trail

Old January 9th 04, 06:39 AM
Lindsay

Default Mountain Lion kills a biker out on trail

Uh, to keep it on topic, I heard they were racing.
--------------

Mountain Lion On Loose After Fatal Attack
Woman Is Also Attacked

POSTED: 6:05 PM PST January 8, 2004
UPDATED: 6:40 PM PST January 8, 2004

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. -- One mountain biker is dead and another
critically injured after two attacks by the same mountain lion.

On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in
southern Orange County came across an abandoned mountain bike.

The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person.
While they were walking down a hill, a female biker was attacked by a
mountain lion on her face and neck.

Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the
missing bicyclist, who had been mauled to death.

The woman who was attacked is in critical condition at a local
hospital.

As night fell, park rangers were trying to flush out the mountain
lion.

Officials said that they initially were trying to capture the animal,
but because it keeps it is "very, very aggressive," they are now
considering it for termination.

The animal was described as a 150-pound mountain lion.
Old January 9th 04, 08:06 AM
Sierraman

"Lindsay" wrote in message

[...]

My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa about
a half mile away. In the last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions shot
and killed in Iowa. They say they are migrating there because of all the
deer. We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my
favorite rides. A girl was killed jogging north of here near highway 49
years ago. Great, now I need to put that in the back of my mind again.

B-

Old January 9th 04, 05:29 PM
Arnold S.

"Sierraman" wrote in message

"Lindsay" wrote in message

[...]

Let's set it straight...........it was only around 100 lbs. got to keep the
facts straight...!!!

Old January 9th 04, 05:53 PM
warren

In article , Sierraman
wrote:

My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa about
a half mile away. In the last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions shot
and killed in Iowa. They say they are migrating there because of all the
deer. We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my
favorite rides. A girl was killed jogging north of here near highway 49
years ago.

Keep in mind that virtually all of the attacks around here (NorCal) are
from behind, while being chased. It would probably help to wear a
flashing rear tailight so the mountain lion gets the idea you're not
like a deer running away.

-WG
Old January 10th 04, 04:50 AM
Boyd Speerschneider

"Sierraman" wrote in :

We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my
favorite rides.

I knew cats were pretty agile, but I've never heard of any riding MBTs
Old January 10th 04, 06:45 PM
Lindsay

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:50:05 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider
wrote:

"Sierraman" wrote in :

We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my
favorite rides.

I knew cats were pretty agile, but I've never heard of any riding MBTs

But they are not really into technology. They all seem to ride
hardtails.
Old January 10th 04, 07:29 PM
Race170

From: Boyd Speerschneider
Date: 1/9/2004 10:50 PM Eastern Standard Time

I knew cats were pretty agile, but I've never heard of any riding MBTs

nicely done..someone was killed....try to show a little class (even if you're
pretending)
Old January 14th 04, 06:20 AM
Walter

Mountain lion shot in southern Iowa

CHARITON (AP) --- A young male mountain lion was shot in Wayne County
in southern Iowa over the weekend, the Department of Natural Resources
reported Tuesday.

"Someone saw the lion eating on a deer carcass and called a friend,"
said Todd Gosselink, DNR wildlife biologist. "The friends showed up
with their coon hounds and flushed the cat from a culvert, chased it
for about three-quarters of a mile before it climbed a large
cottonwood tree."

That was when Jason Klaiber of Lineville shot it with his 30-06 rifle.

The lion was found south of Confidence on the Chariton River Sunday.

The lion was about 6 .5 feet long and all indications are it was wild.

"It was a good sized male," Gosselink said. "I estimate it weighed 80
to 100 pounds and was probably 1.5 to 2 years old," Gosselink said.

That makes the third young male lion killed in Iowa.

Ron Andrews, the state furbearer biologist for the DNR, said there
must be a general increase in the movements of these animals into the
state, but how many, he can't say. There have been recent reports of a
lion killed on the interstate north of Kansas City, Mo., one was
captured in the Omaha, Neb., area and one was killed near Ireton in
northwest Iowa.

The DNR has six apparently good, solid mountain lion tracks in the
state, Andrews said. The tracks were found in Webster County, near Mt.
Ayr, near Cherokee, Lyon County, Harrison County and Decatur County.

"Killing mountain lions is currently not illegal, but we certainly
don't want to encourage the indiscriminate killing of these animals,"
Andrews said.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...1400421f6c.txt
Old January 14th 04, 06:49 AM
Steve

Default Another GOOD reason to wear a helmet!!!!! (Mountain Lions!!)

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/0112...tain_lion.html

Nicholls threw her own bike at the mountain lion, grabbed Hjelle's legs and
began a tug-of-war with the animal, kicking and screaming as the lion moved
from her friend's helmet to her face and neck. The mountain lion eventually
released its grip after Nichols got help from two other trail riders, men
who were yelling and throwing rocks at the mountain lion.

I heard a report on the national news that said that the fact she was
wearing a helmet gave her the time needed to survive the attack. The helmet
took the brunt of the initial attack........

Old January 14th 04, 05:16 PM
gwhite

Walter wrote:

"Killing mountain lions is currently not illegal, but we certainly
don't want to encourage the indiscriminate killing of these animals,"
Andrews said.

It is illegal in California.