Patching tube with silicone

Old November 18th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Patching tube with silicone

Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even patching
them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber
cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than
bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional
rubber cement or are there problems there?

--
meb

Old November 19th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

meb wrote:
Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even patching
them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber
cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than
bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional
rubber cement or are there problems there?

Hehe... you said "tubless" (holdover from a.m-b)
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 19th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

super glue non-flowing works
GOOP the modern silicone lacks holding power-but inflating against the
inside tire would hold various non-rubbber contact cements in
place-problem is getting there!!
NAPA has a rubber contact cement for $8 which is a winner but
perishable in hot climes-need refrigeration
walmart in our area displays a glue section holding a loctite rubber
cement-i have a can but haven't tested it.
the walglue display also has a double cylinder epoxy dispenser-there
are 3-4 types. Look carefully and you may spy one boasting rubber
capability. this is the commonly available killer rubber cement. is it
good on tubes or better than super g or the usual rubber cements FOR
tubes? i dunno. the stuff does have the capability to reglue wal''s
silver series sneakers soles and uppers after sanding clean, clamping
with shoe shape ply inside and out held with a deep reach clamp:
shoewise, this is akin to the second(or third "for that matter") coming
! the double cylinder "insures" precise disgorgement but dpon't cpunt
opn it and carefully examine and clear nozzles before screwing
everthing up right quick. the mix need to be wet on application not
gummy and setting as the wet holds the bite into the material
solvents.store upside down and vertical.

Old November 21st 05, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training Wrote:
meb wrote:
Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even

patching
them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber
cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than
bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional
rubber cement or are there problems there?

Hehe... you said "tubless" (holdover from a.m-b)
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I'll correct that to tubeless automotive tires.

--
meb

Old November 21st 05, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Wrote:
[...]

I usually put silicone on the inside as well as out on the tubeless
tires on bolt together racing rims I siliconed so I had access. On the
few tries on one piece rims I seem to recall some failures so it would
seem access is a big issue.

--
meb

Old November 21st 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

i tried the locktite contact rubber cement-not in the same league as
standard BELL cement with the new fangled cap.
the locktite is more toward gluing paper flowers to wallboard

Old November 22nd 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

this is an unfair review of locktite contact cement. as i am already in
deep excrement with lock-i did not follow the directions as coat both
surfaces and did not use the uncoated patch side using, without thought
about it, the coated Bell cement specific side-if this matters. i'll
try it again.