Rolling hop help.

Old September 13th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
andytait

Default Rolling hop help.

I need a bit of advice.

I can rolling-hop low heights, say 5 or 6 inches on a clear surface,
but I have problems doing it consistently over an obstacle. I really
want to learn to hop up curbs on my 29er every time. I also want to get
more height when I'm mucking about on a 24".

What position should my feet be in when I take off - is it 3 and 9
O'clock? I think I have been trying with my strong foot coming up just
after being at the bottom of the revolution, so my other foot is just
past the top. But I can't say for sure, my most successful attempts
have just "felt" right but I haven't really had the mental capacity
mid-hop to analyse what I did. I have tried studying videos but usually
the action is too fast to see clearly.

Thanks

Andy

--
andytait
andytait's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11766

Old September 13th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

get a flat area.

lay down a hose.

ride and hop over the hose, don't position yourself so the cranks are
in the right spot, just ride at the hose and hop over it with whatever
position your cranks are in. this gets you good at learning to hop with
all different crank positions.

this really helped me get over lots of obstacles

--
iridemymuni

munipsycho wrote:
Just a bit of advice: never vomit while wearing a full-face helmet.

guess what !

'Bike Coalition!!' (www.bikecoalition.com)
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old September 13th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manu2015

Hi

I agree with iridemymuni, but i have a different approach. His method
is great when you ride muni but won't allow you to reach a good
length/high very quickly.

I belong to those who always hop with the best position of foot,
horizontally i mean. That is where you are the higher and can get the
maximum extension of your legs, that means the best impulsion.

Usually riding in town with a 20", modulating my trajectory to the
obstacles and working on my jump length i manage to cruise
confidently.

Manuel

--
manu2015

Et Hop !
manu2015's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9834

Old September 13th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Johaaan

Hm. Iam not so good in english but gonna try to help you.
If you are trying to jump high:
When you jump don't try to just have the Uni under you , try to , hmm
dont know how to say :/ Just pull soo mutch you can and try to get the
uni upp in front off you , ehh hope i help :P

--
Johaaan

!! - Sorry the english not so good - !!
Johaaan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13429

Old September 13th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Monocyclist

The way I learned is a pretty good method. Just ride down your street,
and rolling hop over every single thing you see. Hop over every bump,
stick, leaf, rock, grease spot, shadow and pothole you see. This will
force you, as iridemymuni said, to hop with all different crank
positions.

This is very tiring though, especially if your street is long. My
street was decently long so by the time I got to the end of it I was
absolutely soaked with sweat

--
Monocyclist
Monocyclist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13114

Old September 13th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Johaaan

Okey. thanks.. cause i also need to train to jump white diffrent crank
position.

Old September 14th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
burjzyntski

I think it's best (when learning anyway) to position the unicycle about
equidistant from the obstacle as the obstacle is high (i.e. if the
obstacle is 12" high, position the unicycle about 12" away from the
object with the cranks in the horizontal position that you use). Then
roll the unicycle backwards a few revolutions, enough that you can
gather some speed before you get to the object you're trying to jump
over. Mount the unicycle, ride towards the object, and then when you
get close enough to the object that you're trying to jump onto/over,
your pedals/cranks will be in the proper position to allow you to jump
on top/over it.

Hope this helps. I find that it does.

--
burjzyntski

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

\"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

"In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
start drilling."
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

Old September 14th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

i think that you should just keep your cranks horizontal while learning
to hop, it is the best, and the most common position
if you plan on doing Muni a LOT then go ahead and practice from every
position, but hop the most from a normal position

My personal experience with this is that once you learn to jump about 2
feet high(its reallly not that far off for you, only a couple months...
average) you can jump a curb from any pedal position easily

I think it is much easier to learn to jump decently, then go for it
with any pedal position

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ PM me if you would like to join!!!

-stephen-
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old September 14th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

burjzyntski wrote:
I think it's best (when learning anyway) to position the unicycle about
equidistant from the obstacle as the obstacle is high (i.e. if the
obstacle is 12" high, position the unicycle about 12" away from the
object with the cranks in the horizontal position that you use). Then
roll the unicycle backwards a few revolutions, enough that you can
gather some speed before you get to the object you're trying to jump
over. Mount the unicycle, ride towards the object, and then when you
get close enough to the object that you're trying to jump onto/over,
your pedals/cranks will be in the proper position to allow you to jump
on top/over it.

Hope this helps. I find that it does.

i disagree, just ride so that the pedals will line up in the vacinity
of the object and hop up it, it will become natural to jump from the
correct distance

Old September 14th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
foforackard

if you're looking to hop with your cranks in the same position every
time, ride up to the object at about a 45 degree and adjust your
self(left to right) to get good timing on your jump. It will become
easier with practice.

--
foforackard

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST