Towing bicycles

Old December 9th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Towing bicycles

The problem of transporting children's bicycles from one school to
another is one which had vexed me for some time.

I have in the past bungeed bikes to my rear rack, but this has been
unstable and not really satisfactory.

A trailer would be a solution:

http://tinyurl.com/u3l2x from
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/images/ga...railer_480.jpg

But that has a total of eight wheels, four of which are redundant.

What about a solution which utilises at least some of the towed bike's
wheels?

How viable would this low cost solution be?

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/towing

(Appologies for the poor quality of my sketch - especially the
shocking positioning of the bottom bracket of the adult bike.)

Would it be possible to tow two bikes side by side in this manner?
What about a train, with two bikes being towed in series?
Or a combination - four bikes being towed in a 2 x 2 array?

Side by side seems the most viable option as the two bikes could be
secured together by the rear rack, providing a stable upright
position.

The diagram is meant to illustrate a 26" bike towing a 20" bike (yes,
I know the wheel proportions are wrong). What about other sizes. A
26" bike towing two 24" bikes, or even better, a 26" bike towing two
24" bikes, towing two 20" bikes?

The rack extension:
Will this be secure enough?
Would a couple of broomstick handles secured either side of the
crossbar of the lead bike be better?

Before I go into prototype mode, almost certainly not until well into
the New Year, it would be useful to hear any views or suggestions.
Old December 9th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Before I go into prototype mode, almost certainly not until well into
the New Year, it would be useful to hear any views or suggestions.

I have a trailer which is redundant and fitted for cycle carriage.
If you can pick it up from Derbyshire it could be free to a good
home.My wife would be delighted. We have no tow bars.
That would be an easier solution.

What I did for tjhis problem was buy a cheap folder from Loot .In fact
there are some very cheap new folders around for cycle training or
short distance use.Then there is no worry about how well they have been
mounted on the car.
TerryJ

Old December 9th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyMorris

Tom Crispin wrote:
The problem of transporting children's bicycles from one school to
another is one which had vexed me for some time.

One would think

http://www.trail-gator.com/

would work without a passenger.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old December 9th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Before I go into prototype mode, almost certainly not until well into
the New Year, it would be useful to hear any views or suggestions.

Sorry, I just realised that you had been carrying bicycles on your
bicycle, not car.
You're way out of my league.
The offer still stands, though.

TerryJ

Old December 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Tom Crispin wrote:

The problem of transporting children's bicycles from one school to
another is one which had vexed me for some time.

I have in the past bungeed bikes to my rear rack, but this has been
unstable and not really satisfactory.

A trailer would be a solution:

http://tinyurl.com/u3l2x from
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/images/ga...railer_480.jpg

But that has a total of eight wheels, four of which are redundant.

To reduce the redundancy as long as two bikes have the same size of
wheel you could use their front wheels for the trailer. Actually with
a little ingenuity you could use different sized wheels either side.

How viable would this low cost solution be?

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/towing

How about fixing a set of QR fork holders for a car roof-rack at the
rear of the towing carrier. Take out the front wheel of the towed bike
and fasten bungee that to the carrier. You could probably tow two
bikes side-by-side behind your tractor with two sets of fork holders.
Old December 9th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Tom Crispin wrote:
The problem of transporting children's bicycles from one school to
another is one which had vexed me for some time.

I have in the past bungeed bikes to my rear rack, but this has been
unstable and not really satisfactory.

A trailer would be a solution:

http://tinyurl.com/u3l2x from
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/images/ga...railer_480.jpg

But that has a total of eight wheels, four of which are redundant.

What about a solution which utilises at least some of the towed bike's
wheels?

How viable would this low cost solution be?

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/towing

I just had an idea, lashed a couple of bikes together and rode them up
and down the road - it seemed to work quite well, so email[1] me if you
want me to make some sketches and discuss further development. I have a
vague idea how it could be better implemented in a cheap easy-fit sort
of way, but can't concentrate on that right now.

[1] address is valid
Old December 9th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Phil Cook wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:

The problem of transporting children's bicycles from one school to
another is one which had vexed me for some time.

I have in the past bungeed bikes to my rear rack, but this has been
unstable and not really satisfactory.

A trailer would be a solution:

http://tinyurl.com/u3l2x from
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/images/ga...railer_480.jpg

But that has a total of eight wheels, four of which are redundant.

To reduce the redundancy as long as two bikes have the same size of
wheel you could use their front wheels for the trailer. Actually with
a little ingenuity you could use different sized wheels either side.

But would require removing the wheels each time to transport the bikes,
and what if he only had one to move?

How viable would this low cost solution be?

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/towing

How about fixing a set of QR fork holders for a car roof-rack at the
rear of the towing carrier. Take out the front wheel of the towed bike
and fasten bungee that to the carrier. You could probably tow two
bikes side-by-side behind your tractor with two sets of fork holders.

High CofG, tendency to flop.
Old December 9th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:22:38 +0000, Phil Cook
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

[...]

A neat practical idea, Phil.

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/towing2

See amended diagram above: two side by side 24" bikes (shown as one
bike), towed by a 26" bike, and towing two side by side 20" bikes
(shown as one bike). Front wheels to be attached to front pannier
racks (not shown), leaving rear panniers free for hi-vis tabards,
tools and [spit] helmets.

Attaching a QR fork holder to the rear racks of the 24" bikes is
excellent. It will give the whole 'trailer' rigidity to stand on it's
own four wheels so the whole thing won't collapse at traffic lights.

My main concern is that the centre of gravity is so much higher,
especially on the 24" bikes.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Old December 9th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

[...]

Take a piece of 1x-.5 in box section. drop this down behind the back
wheel then place a q/r through it at the right height (could do two,
one for 20" and one for 24".) That gets the cog down sufficiently.

Ascii art follows(need a fixed width font.) showing a rear rack with a
towbar attatched. * marks the q/r. Find a friendly metalworker, then
bolt the tow bar under your rack.

-------
=== \
| / \
|/ ) *

...d

Towing a bicycle SMS General 8 July 7th 06 06:06 AM
BC Wheel Towing tomtrevor Unicycling 33 May 27th 06 09:30 AM
OT, but makes me feel better whilst towing ... Paul - xxx UK 8 January 24th 05 10:01 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM