Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 6th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default fewer vehicles out there to feed traffic jams

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 5, 4:42 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

s.com...

On Mar 4, 8:33 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:
I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually

we
could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen

or
some other technologies out there.

We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or

oil to
make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the

Hydrogen.
It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar,

hydro,
or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
Bill Baka

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big

time.-

Only true if less than 7 passengers ride it. And still it means fewer
vehicles out there to feed traffic jams...

Using Mass Transit
The key to mass transit is the word "mass". The more of us who use it,
the more global warming pollution it saves.

Full cars would also do the same thing, but the laws are set up to
discourage that and to encourage money-losing transit systems.

Care to point out any of those laws against having more than one
person in a car during rush hour?

Even the DC SLUG system is only semi-legal. If you take someone in your
car for a fee, you become an illegal taxi. The poor ignore this rule in
rural areas, but the middle class does not want the loss of insurance, for
example.

Old March 6th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

Default Ride an BUS not an SUV

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:15:20 GMT, "George Conklin"
wrote:

Actually drinking is good for you.

Actually, drinking may be good for you.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 6th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

On Mar 3, 1:47 pm, "donquijote1954"
wrote:
Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
little furry animals are here to stay.

There are two versions of it...

bike:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

and bus:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

or the whole REVOLUTION...

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

It is -4F outside with a 20 mph wind and 3 feet of snow on the
ground. I need to run out, pick up my son from school and take him 20
miles to the orthodontist -- then get him back to school for the rest
of the day.

.... and you want me to ride a bike?????????????? You're out of your
minds.

As for the bus, I'd consider it but the school busses don't go that
far.

.... oh, you mean public transit. Yeah right. We don't even have
taxis in this area.

You know, those things aren't big on the Rez.

Old March 6th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...
These fake comparison compare a full bus with car with only the driver.
If
both were full, in transit service they would again be equal.
Long-distance
buses, NEVER trains, yield the biggest savings. But no one wants to

hear
what works. I know there are many train foamers, no bus foamers.

I have never noticed busses being dirtier than trains.

According to the EPA, current trains are vastly polluting, much more so
than
buses.

What does that have to do with how often they get washed?

Old March 6th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

wrote:

Full cars would also do the same thing, but the laws are set up to
discourage that and to encourage money-losing transit systems.

Care to point out any of those laws against having more than one
person in a car during rush hour?

Even the DC SLUG system is only semi-legal. If you take someone in your
car for a fee, you become an illegal taxi. The poor ignore this rule in
rural areas, but the middle class does not want the loss of insurance, for
example.

Laws are set up to discourage some things and encourage others. When the
laws discourage things that other people think are wise and good, such as a
level playing field for small business or a pedestrian-friendly environment,
you deny that the law does any such thing and claim that the existing
situation is the inevitable result of a free market and what people want.
The truth is, I have never really heard anyone upset that they can't hire
out their car for a fee, or anyone upset that they can't hire their
neighbor's car, whereas many people are upset by the things that you see as
right and inevitable.

So just suck it up, George. Your little pipe dream of being able to found
"George's unlicensed taxi service" is never going to happen. And the vast
majority of people in this country resoundingly don't care.

-Amy

Old March 6th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

Pat wrote:

It is -4F outside with a 20 mph wind and 3 feet of snow on the
ground. I need to run out, pick up my son from school and take him 20
miles to the orthodontist -- then get him back to school for the rest
of the day.

... and you want me to ride a bike?????????????? You're out of your
minds.

There's always an excuse with you, Pat.

As for the bus, I'd consider it but the school busses don't go that
far.

... oh, you mean public transit. Yeah right. We don't even have
taxis in this area.

You know, those things aren't big on the Rez.

You're holding up progress by not living in an overcrowded area.
Please move immediately. And bring some tax-free cigarettes.

Old March 6th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

ps.com...
wrote:
[...]

Well, actually, people choose to live close to their needs like school,
work, shopping, dentist. You chose not to.

Old March 6th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

On Mar 5, 7:26 am, "George Conklin"
wrote:
"Daryl Hunt" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
et...
donquijote1954 wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the

problem.
And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
little furry animals are here to stay.
There are two versions of it...
bike:
http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069
and bus:
http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110
OK, how is the bus not polluting?

You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
technologies and some political will to make it happen...

Heaven Help Bus
A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future

The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
it works.

The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we

cruise
through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
pipe: a trickle of water.

http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbo...n-hydrogenbus/

I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
some other technologies out there.

We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
Bill Baka

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Not all, I think I read somewhere where a city went to Electrics.

Ok, that exports pollution to rural areas. And of course a plug-in hybrid
electric car would meet about 90% of the commuting needs of America.

This whole Tango and electric car stuff is a load of BS. Period. It
is all a bunch of tree-hugging hyporcrits who want to feel good about
the environments without actually have to do anything about it or be
inconvenienced. Period. There are solutions out there and they are
fairly simple. But it isn't this crap.

Electric cars? Guess what. Our electric grid is near capacity and
you want to plug your cars in? Great, you feel good about having an
expensive, stupid electric car while somebody is out building a coal
or oil plant to generate electricity and ship it to you. Okay, they
might be able to put out less pollution but it is still coal or oil.
Electricity doesn't just come out of you plug. It does, however, grow
on trees. Okay, no really, but fuel grows in fields. If you want to
cut your dependence on fossil fuels, switch to vegetable oil. You
busses and trucks and cars can run on that. It's simple, less
pollution, and easily stops the dependence on fossils. Okay, don't
want that, go with bio-diesel.

Meanwhile, you little Tangos. They are nothing but publicity stunts.
They are okay for backup transportation in a city but that's about
it. But so is a motorcycle. Oh, but a motorcycle is "old technology"
and doesn't have the allure of a slick Tango. Yeah, that's my point.
If you people really gave a damn you be out riding motorcycles right
now. Plus you can throw on a trailer for groceries if you want.

Me? I don't ride public transportation and I drive a minivan. So
there you go. But we don't have public transporation and if we did,
it's be VERY wasteful because everyone around here has a car. And I
drive a van to SAVE gasoline. I haul lots of kids to and froe
practices and having a van that can carry 4 or 5 teens plus gear sure
beats taking two trips. But when the weather is nice and I have to go
somewhere, I ride one of my 3 motorcycles that range in gas milage
from about 35 mpg to about 100 mpg. And the less expensive the bike I
have, the better the gas mileage. Plus they take up very little
parking. But you know what, riding the most fuel efficient vehicle on
the road has NOTHING to do with gas mileage. They are just fun to
ride. My smallest bike doesn't have much of a motor, but by 450 cc
bike that is 25 years old still gets 70 mph and can out accelerate and
outperform most cars on the road.

So if you want to do something about energy and efficiency and
pollution, go do it. But the whole "make it electric" arguement is
pretty stupid because all you are doing is changing where the fuel is
burned. And none of that stuff about "hydro" because all hydro is
used to 100% capacity and any incrimental electricity is fossil. Oh,
so you want more hydro. I'm fine with that. But I live in the
country because I like it and I don't want any more valleys flooded so
people in cities can go do stupid things. Go damn up your own
rivers. Go put a damn across the Hudson. NYC has so many reseviours
upstate they they have already devastated the Catskills. Pretty lakes
you say? Yeah, but what about the people that used to live there who
were flooded out of their homes. What about the rivers that are gone
and the trout that aren't there? So maybe nuclear is a good thing.
It might be. In 30 or 40 years when they get done cleaning up the
nuclear reprocessing plant 30 miles from here, we'll discuss it.
Actually I don't mind it, so if you want nuclear for Long Island or
NYC, go put it on Long Island or NYC. Oh, that's right, they tried
that and the people didnt want it. So if you want nuclear, why do YOU
want the electricity but you want ME to deal with the consequences? I
don't dump crap in your city so you keep your crap out of my rural
area.

As for bicycles? A great idea. Probably everyone in NYC and most
other cities should have one or a scooter or small motorcyle. But
they are not the answer for everyone.

$6 gas. What about it. I'll go down on the Rez and buy it for $5.
And as soon as the price of oil exceeds that of cooking oil, bio
diesel sure will look sweat. Okay, the roads will smell like a
chinese restaurant, but some people will like that.

Fuel cells might use gas more efficently, but they are still using
gas. So what's the big deal. Moving a car that some drives in a city
from 30 mpg to 50 saves 13 gallon of fuel over 1000 miles. Moving a
truck from 8 mpg to 12 mpg saves 42 gallons. Biodiesel would save 125
gallons of oil.

Sorry for the rant, but if you are going to save the world, be
practical and do thing that really make a difference, not just get
what you don't want to see out of your sight.

Sorry for the rant, but this

Old March 6th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

On Mar 6, 12:23 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
Pat wrote:

It is -4F outside with a 20 mph wind and 3 feet of snow on the
ground. I need to run out, pick up my son from school and take him 20
miles to the orthodontist -- then get him back to school for the rest
of the day.

... and you want me to ride a bike?????????????? You're out of your
minds.

There's always an excuse with you, Pat.

As for the bus, I'd consider it but the school busses don't go that
far.

... oh, you mean public transit. Yeah right. We don't even have
taxis in this area.

You know, those things aren't big on the Rez.

You're holding up progress by not living in an overcrowded area.
Please move immediately. And bring some tax-free cigarettes.

I might be driving to Long Island on Friday (seriously). I could
bring you some if you want. They've went up a bit. Now they are
about $11 or $12 per carton. One local show has a "sampler" of 2
packs of each generic brand so you can see which type you want to have
kill you. Or I could hook you up with a local company. You can't
swing a cat around here and not hit someone who is selling cigs. Our
post office has so many cigs moving through it I can't believe the
workers don't get a nicotine high just from breathing the air.

Old March 6th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

ps.com...

wrote:
[...]

But I am close to everything

The school is only 3 or 4 miles away (but the bus stop is just down
the street). And the grocery store is near it. Walmart, "the mall",
the kid's dojo and the orthodontist are only about 20 miles away.
There are hospitals 20 miles to the east, 17 miles to the south, 45
miles to the west and about 30 miles to the north. The ski slope is
just 8 miles away so the kids can go skiing a couple of nights a
week. How much closer to "things" could anyone want to be?